Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just seen a flash off the coast. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning out for Monday - An amber warning will follow

Issued at: 10:40 on Sun 20 Nov 2016

Valid from: 03:00 on Mon 21 Nov 2016

Valid to: 23:55 on Mon 21 Nov 2016

On Monday a further broad area of heavy, persistent rain will extend northwards across southwest England and Wales. The heaviest rain is expected to reach southwest England in the early hours of Monday and to reach north Wales by around the middle of the day. Although the more persistent rain should clear from southwest England into the afternoon, heavy and possibly thundery showers are likely to follow. Strong northeasterly winds will also develop for a time giving gusts of 40-50 mph. Please be aware of the possibility of localised flooding and disruption to transport.

Some 20-30 mm of rain may fall in a 3-6 hour period in places, with as much as 40-60 mm possible locally through the whole of Monday. The greatest risk of disruption due to flooding is expected to be across parts of southwest England, Devon in particular, where the ground has been left very wet from Saturday night's rain. A separate Amber warning will cover this aspect.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1479686400&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Amber warning out for the south west

Issued at: 10:48 on Sun 20 Nov 2016

Valid from: 05:00 on Mon 21 Nov 2016

Valid to: 23:55 on Mon 21 Nov 2016

On Monday a further broad area of heavy, persistent rain will move northwards across southwest England. Although the more persistent rain should clear from Devon by early afternoon, heavy and possibly thundery showers are likely to follow. Please be prepared for further disruption to transport due to localised flooding, whilst flooding of homes and businesses is also possible.

Some 20-30 mm of rain is expected fall in a 3-6 hour period in places, with as much as 40-60 mm possible locally through the whole of Monday. The ground has been left very wet from Saturday night's rain and this increases the risk of further flooding.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1479686400&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Risk of some intense and squally convective downpours accompanied by hail and isolated thunder pushing NE along cold front from late morning and through afternoon across southern counties, flooding main concern, more in my storm forecast here: 

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted

I used to live in this street a few years ago where the big green tree is have seen this a few times after continuous rainfall, it happens because the water runs down the hill and the storm drain at the bottom of the street over flows, has made the news as well.

Screenshot_2016-11-21-15-58-14.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

OMFG THUNDER AND LIGHTNING OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But yeah, that was a bit unexpected.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Noticed the sferics,  glad to see they went false returns. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
46 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes,i was waiting in Tesco's car park and multiple bright blue flashes of lightning,and deep booms of thunder:D

Posted
3 hours ago, cheese said:

I've seen lighting twice over the last few days.

Once early on Friday morning walking to the train station when I got caught in a hail shower, no biggie had an umbrella, and then suddenly *BOOM*.....lightning had struck a plane coming in to land directly above my head. Put my brolley away swiftly after that...

And then today just as I setting off home from my bike in torrential rain, god cycling home today was miserable. I'm glad to be alive really with some of the 'puddles' I had to cycle through.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I was just peering out of the front window to watch the huge deluge going on, then suddenly hail and a huge fork of lightning! Very nice indeed!

8mm has fallen in 15 minutes. The garden has flooded, roads are like rivers.. a rain rate of 126.6 mm/hr.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
1 hour ago, ManiaMuse said:

I've seen lighting twice over the last few days.

Once early on Friday morning walking to the train station when I got caught in a hail shower, no biggie had an umbrella, and then suddenly *BOOM*.....lightning had struck a plane coming in to land directly above my head. Put my brolley away swiftly after that...

And then today just as I setting off home from my bike in torrential rain, god cycling home today was miserable. I'm glad to be alive really with some of the 'puddles' I had to cycle through.

Cycling in heavy rain is no fun! Enjoy the storms though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Just seen a news report on bbc about the floods today. What a badly reported put together piece of crap! For various reasons...

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Looking at the current GFS output, some of our Scottish members might be lucky enough to get some Winter convectivity this week. Low ELT's sweeping in through Wednesday and Thursday - what i wouldn't give to be back on the Isle of Skye! :)

Posted

As it's probably very unlikely that anyone will get any more storms this year ;) What's your thunder total days for the year? I can count mine on one hand and one finger ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Mines in my sig, although that's number of storms, a few of those were two in one day so I'll estimate 9 thunder days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

10 or 11 maybe, funny thing is that I went to Florida for 2 and a half weeks (July 28th - August 12th) and experienced more thunderstorms back at home then I did in Florida :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

How do you count thunderstorms? From Thunder heard, being directly hit or by days of thunder?
We had 5 days of thunder heard here, one was very far away though and was only slightly audible so I am not counting it as a storm.
We had 6 storms in total, 4 of which were direct hits and 3 of those occurring within 24 hours of each other, one was so bad it caused a train derailment.
Not very good but seems about average for my location over the past few years, with big storms occurring in September for the last two years and the two big storms in July last year. 

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

There were no overhead thunderstorms in Derby as far as I know but 5 days whereby I heard thunder, all of it fairly distant.

18 thunderstorms seen and heard if I include chasing (not all of them overhead though). Best storms were the afternoon of the 7th June around Bedfordshire and the evening/night of the 15th/16th September across Berkshire/Hampshire. Also chased some good storms on the 12th June from the Midlands through the Home Counties and into Essex and on the 28th May over Somerset.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Thundersnow over the Isle of Man around 5 minutes ago. 

Edited by Convective
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
12 hours ago, Convective said:

Thundersnow over the Isle of Man around 5 minutes ago. 

settling?

• 2 weeks later...