Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
20 minutes ago, Raidan said:

Not far Jc I can see planes coming in but it's not that as it's clear here and it's not the flashes you see when a plane is coming through the clouds...These are bright flashes just like lightning yet there are no storms and its happening about every 5mins very weird. 

I had something similar back during the Summer - it probably is lightning to be honest, as at night time the flashes can be seen from a fair old distance. I was walking back from the pub one night (sober I may add) and I saw flashes wayyy in the distance to the NW. Checked the radar when I got in and there were storms over W/NW Wales. So I assume that is what was causing them.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Sure I heard a very deep rumble from that Milton Keynes storm. Must've been very loud, or conditions are right for the thunder to carry a long way!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Fairly potent cell off the IoW at the moment. Aircraft up to FL380 taking headings to avoid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
33 minutes ago, Raidan said:

Not far Jc I can see planes coming in but it's not that as it's clear here and it's not the flashes you see when a plane is coming through the clouds...These are bright flashes just like lightning yet there are no storms and its happening about every 5mins very weird. 

It's happening here as well. The moon is fully lit, with just the odd few Cumulus clouds floating by, very strange!

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It's happening here as well. The moon is fully lit, with just the odd few Cumulus clouds floating by, very strange!

Could it be a military exercise going on at Salisbury plain area? Possible with all the heightened tensions between the west and Russia.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, SnowJoke said:

Could it be a military exercise going on at Salisbury plain area? Possible with all the heightened tensions between the west and Russia.

My view is East though, i'm looking directly towards the shower East of the IoW. It is electrified, so it must be coming from that? That  is quite some distance though..

2016-10-16 (2).png 2016-10-16 (3).png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.
18 hours ago, Mapantz said:

My view is East though, i'm looking directly towards the shower East of the IoW. It is electrified, so it must be coming from that? That  is quite some distance though..

2016-10-16 (2).png 2016-10-16 (3).png

I'm not surprised, I saw loads of lightning strikes from a thunderstorm over Poole on 03 July 2015.

Edited by Grimers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Got one flash earlier on as we looked out to see the torrential rain. Was perfect timing - quite close too!

handy as I was showing the blitzortung app to my stepmum earlier this evening and I showed her that the strike we saw had registered, and I think she found it rather remarkable :-)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ThundersnowDays said:

I don't think it is Salisbury plain as I can normally hear the distant booms when they're practicing.

We can even hear them up here if the winds are right!

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, Chris K said:

I had something similar back during the Summer - it probably is lightning to be honest, as at night time the flashes can be seen from a fair old distance. I was walking back from the pub one night (sober I may add) and I saw flashes wayyy in the distance to the NW. Checked the radar when I got in and there were storms over W/NW Wales. So I assume that is what was causing them.

Don't believe that Chris bet you were pssd as a fart lol...Glad to read others have seen this and it wasn't me going mad.

Edited by Raidan
Wrong word
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 19 Oct 2016 - 05:59 UTC Thu 20 Oct 2016

ISSUED 18:24 UTC Tue 18 Oct 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper vortex will become quasi-stationary over the German Bight on Wednesday, with cold mid-levels atop relatively warm SSTs creating ideal conditions for deep convection. Steering winds will advect the subsequent showers towards eastern England, more especially later in the day and through Wednesday night as the winds gradually veer a little. Instability, albeit marginal, is sufficient for some sporadic/isolated lightning, especially over the North Sea and perhaps affecting some adjacent coasts. The most intense cells may produce some small hail and gusty winds, with perhaps even a waterspout/brief funnel possible.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2016-10-19

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Anyone seen this?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-37694399

Did Manchester have a storm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very quiet in here but a good risk of thunderstorms/thundery showers for Cornwall tomorrow. Risk looks to be in place for much of the day. I would say Truro and Westwards and The Isles of Scilly looking to have the greatest risk. Euro4 even has some heavy ppn/something thundery over west Cornwall as early as 6am tomorrow.

Certainly heavy showers about though and this will include much of Devon, especially south Devon. Thunder risk here too but the real instability looks to be reserved for west Cornwall. Southern coasts especially prone to thundery activity. The Lizard could be a good spot tomorrow. Also worth noting winds falling a fair bit lighter than what they have been today so any downpours would bring the risk of flash flooding especially road flooding, particularly as lots of leaves are now beginning to fall and inevitably start blocking drains.

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
58 minutes ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Very quiet in here but a good risk of thunderstorms/thundery showers for Cornwall tomorrow. Risk looks to be in place for much of the day. I would say Truro and Westwards and The Isles of Scilly looking to have the greatest risk. Euro4 even has some heavy ppn/something thundery over west Cornwall as early as 6am tomorrow.

Certainly heavy showers about though and this will include much of Devon, especially south Devon. Thunder risk here too but the real instability looks to be reserved for west Cornwall. Southern coasts especially prone to thundery activity. The Lizard could be a good spot tomorrow. Also worth noting winds falling a fair bit lighter than what they have been today so any downpours would bring the risk of flash flooding especially road flooding, particularly as lots of leaves are now beginning to fall and inevitably start blocking drains.

Where's William?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.
17 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

Where's William?

I'm here! There were quite a few lightning strikes to the south of here in Exeter but unfortunately they were too far away to hear the thunder from them. However, there was torrential rain at times!

Edited by Grimers

Posted
5 hours ago, Grimers said:

I'm here! There were quite a few lightning strikes to the south of here in Exeter but unfortunately they were too far away to hear the thunder from them. However, there was torrential rain at times!

That's a pity! We've had the torrents here last night and today and there were some distant IC flashes round about 03/04h00 which woke me up. The main thing was the noise of the rain on the roof and the porch. 30mm since the middle of the night.

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1

Posted

Well looks like I missed a bit of storm action this morning down in the South Hams as have been away for the past couple of days visiting family in the Midlands. Was a little further to the east from here but seems likely I would have seen/heard it :)

Seems to be getting its act together again down this part of the world. Absolutely chucking it down here and I note a couple more strikes in and around the South Devon area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just went outside and can hear fairly loud deep rumbles.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1