Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards


Recommended Posts

Line of storms over from Surrey down to Hants beginning to back build to around 10 mile south of here, just south of Caterham, occasional sheet lightning to the south.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My piece de resistance: (drumroll please...)  

I've just been going through my phones photos from yesterday. Apart from the two oversized bras on next door's washing, this popped up: Finally got one!!

From what I understand, the current isolated storm cells have developed on a convergence wave tied into the circulation of the depression in Biscay. This "wave" will rotate and traverse slo

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Line of storms over from Surrey down to Hants beginning to back build to around 10 mile south of here, just south of Caterham, occasional sheet lightning to the south.

Can see them from here Nick,son lives in Caterham on the hill say 10 secs between  lightning n thunder atm

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Got my old radio on, and I'm hearing the odd bit of distortion! Must be from them cells over Surrey, or that lot all the way in Holland? Anyone know he furthest range of detecting strikes on AM radios? 

I think it's about 20-25 miles.  Could be wrong but I think that's about the limit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Got my old radio on, and I'm hearing the odd bit of distortion! Must be from them cells over Surrey, or that lot all the way in Holland? Anyone know he furthest range of detecting strikes on AM radios? 

20 miles if you tune to a blank frequency with no broadcast carrier signal. If you tune to a weak station you can hear strikes from where it's transmitting from, so best tune to a blank spot for local accuracy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Holland/Belgium cell (or at least the lightning strikes) now seem to have made a right and be heading North towards Amsterdam. If showers keep developing along that line from Surrey up to London, we may get something here before too long

Edited by Jcweather
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ice Day said:

I think it's about 20-25 miles.  Could be wrong but I think that's about the limit.

I see. Well I'm in excess of 100 miles from the nearest activity and it seems to be corresponding with the Surrey storm. I'll hear a crackling and then on lightning maps, it shows instantly a split second after. I've got the volume pretty high though! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any idea what level the cloud tops were at in that W London cell this afternoon? Looking on the Europe cloud height map it just said 10km+, so a minimum of 33000ft or so.  It looked closer to 40000+.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B87 said:

Does anyone have any idea what level the cloud tops were at in that W London cell this afternoon? Looking on the Europe cloud height map it just said 10km+, so a minimum of 33000ft or so.  It looked closer to 40000+.

I could see aircraft at cruise level avoiding the storms, the contrails were noticeably displaced by the tops after too. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wet'n'Dry said:

20 miles if you tune to a blank frequency with no broadcast carrier signal. If you tune to a weak station you can hear strikes from where it's transmitting from, so best tune to a blank spot for local accuracy.

 

P.S. I did an experiment 25 years ago with my Amateur radio equipment. Back then I only had local press and TV news to confirm my findings, plus other radio operators. 20 Miles was about the max distance for a portable radio!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...