Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted

The main (non thundery) cold front heading closer to us that looks fairly substansal but main bulk of the heavier rain to the north might get a few drips I suppose but nothing significant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

If I ever get severe Snow storm anxiety...........................................Shoot me!!! 

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ooooooh....MetO saying "thunder likely". Can't say I recall ever reading that before...best I've seen is isolated, scattered or chance of. 

Yo Dan, surely worth a red on the CWUK forecast map?? :D:rofl::yahoo:

I'm getting a bit too excited now and posting a little too frequently - off for a shower to give everyone breath :fool::rofl:

Would never go red unless I was absolutely certain storms were going to happen - which let's face it, hardly ever happens! But given the concerns over the volume of water and risk of flooding, have upgraded to SVR just for the rain aspect alone (which I've never done before)...

largethumb.php-24.png

Lightning is not a-given with the activity later tonight, it could end up being a large convective mess with not much lightning within it, but nonetheless things will pick up largely post-midnight, and more especially towards the end of the night in terms of rainfall at least.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The main band west of Horsham is picking up with a couple of sferics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

parked up near Marlborough, heard some distant thunder, saw one faint flash, and that was it as the western flank died ...for me and my surrounding areas, that will be probably it for the night....yes, it's still very humid and warm outside, but just about every forecasting agency has any potential action further east, in fact, it may even stay dry....oh well, some other time maybe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Would never go red unless I was absolutely certain storms were going to happen - which let's face it, hardly ever happens! But given the concerns over the volume of water and risk of flooding, have upgraded to SVR just for the rain aspect alone (which I've never done before)...

largethumb.php-24.png

Lightning is not a-given with the activity later tonight, it could end up being a large convective mess with not much lightning within it, but nonetheless things will pick up largely post-midnight, and more especially towards the end of the night in terms of rainfall at least.

That is a bit of a concern to be fair...I hasten to add I too am suspicious about how much lightning there'll be...MUCAPE is modelled in the hundreds rather than thousands and as you say, the atmosphere could get messy. Will be somewhat aggrieved to see not one flash though to be fair.

Two strikes near Brighton...not clear if Blitzortung is haywire or initiation is underway.

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow

I'm In Dunstable, so hopefully I will get some fireworks in the early hours,but I'm not looking forward to my cycle ride into work.

Edited by tornado tams

Posted
54 minutes ago, AL. said:

When I played the storm on radar it's following the M4 exactly (moving west), very weird!

Somebody with a weather background said years ago that thunderstorms could align with motorways, due to the additional heat generated by vehicles, and the reflected heat from the road surface, and he had thunderstorm paths plotted running up the M1, M6 and a couple of other big wide roads... This was back in the very early 1990s, and it looked pretty convincing, and I suppose there could be some truth in it, what do you wise people of Netweather think....?

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

parked up near Marlborough, heard some distant thunder, saw one faint flash, and that was it as the western flank died ...for me and my surrounding areas, that will be probably it for the night....yes, it's still very humid and warm outside, but just about every forecasting agency has any potential action further east, in fact, it may even stay dry....oh well, some other time maybe

i feel your pain good sir. After looking like we were about to take a direct hit, the lighting suddenly decided to move directly east in between Newbury and Whitchurch. We moved to a different field for a better view as darkness fell. One flash as we got into position and that was it. Just died right there and then.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Speedway Slider said:

Somebody with a weather background said years ago that thunderstorms could align with motorways, due to the additional heat generated by vehicles, and the reflected heat from the road surface, and he had thunderstorm paths plotted running up the M1, M6 and a couple of other big wide roads... This was back in the very early 1990s, and it looked pretty convincing, and I suppose there could be some truth in it, what do you wise people of Netweather think....?

Was it Piers Corbyn???

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

i feel your pain good sir. After looking like we were about to take a direct hit, the lighting suddenly decided to move directly east in between Newbury and Whitchurch. We moved to a different field for a better view as darkness fell. One flash as we got into position and that was it. Just died right there and then.

What a waste of a poo!:yahoo:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

And what about cities,the capital produced one today by the looks of it:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
12 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ooooooh....MetO saying "thunder likely". Can't say I recall ever reading that before...best I've seen is isolated, scattered or chance of. 

Yo Dan, surely worth a red on the CWUK forecast map?? :D:rofl::yahoo:

I'm getting a bit too excited now and posting a little too frequently - off for a shower to give everyone breath :fool::rofl:

Don't get carried away; I've seen them say that  quite a few times, and every time has not been any thunder, and often even know precipitation either.  On The other hand,  when they have predicted nothing, it has gone crazy so God knows. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

Sounds like a load of crap TBH?:oops:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Going nuts over in the Low Countries right now (100+ strikes/min)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
4 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

Seems very much along the same lines as pilots that report ufo's. Doesn't seem very plausible.   

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

I always thought similar with the heat generated by large cooling towers at power stations , heavy industry etc. With the loss of heavy industry in the 80s / early 90s and the two large coal fired power stations around here it might explain the down turn in decent storms (though yesterday was rather nice ) . Would explain our rose tinted view on storms being a lot better back then ?

Posted

Just a couple of pics of the Tuesdays storm that i forgot about

this pic as the storm was aproaching

DSC00998.JPG

and this one as it left to the north,this was the inflow that kept on feeding the storm and produced numerous lightning as it collided into the storm

DSC01003.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

Seems very much along the same lines as pilots that report ufo's. Doesn't seem very plausible.   

Agreed - and, how many MCSs travel directly along motorways?