Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some really nice defined convection going on over NW and S London, good view from my allotment :) The larger cloud producing hail and lightning.

IMG_4132.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Still building 

IMG_4136.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Nothing quite as impressive here, but some nice TCU this afternoon. Lovely to see some convection back in the atmosphere...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

A burst of hail here about 20 mins ago. No lighning though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Evening everyone :smile:
Whilst washing the car this afternoon I noticed some great anvils just the other side of the Clwydian Range... They just need to get that little bit more energy in them.
Still not complaining, as its made a nice change from the recent grey gloom :D

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some sferics before out in the Irish sea. Winds are backed SSW at the surface but are WSW at height.  

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Had some hail while I was on the bus heading into Croydon this afternoon 132_1485629532747.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Have had a few showers here today,  one just went through now. All quite heavy but no thunder and lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Wind warning issued for Friday

Issued at: 11:21 on Tue 31 Jan 2017

Valid from: 06:00 on Fri 3 Feb 2017

Valid to: 23:55 on Fri 3 Feb 2017

There is the potential for very strong winds to cross parts of England and Wales on Friday, with gusts of 60 to 70 mph in places and perhaps over 80 mph in exposed coastal areas. There remains considerable uncertainty around the developments - if such winds were to occur, we would expect damage to trees and perhaps to buildings, possible disruption to power supplies, as well as delayed travel.

A number of potentially vigorous low pressure systems are likely to move quickly towards northwest Europe later this week. One of these, on Friday, may affect parts of southern parts of the UK. However it is worth stressing that there are a number of scenarios in which the strongest winds miss the UK altogether. Even so, spells of wet and windy weather will be affecting many areas later this week.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1486080000&regionName=uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I still do not understand why this information is being posted in here? It should be posted in this thread. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I still do not understand why this information is being posted in here? It should be posted in this thread. 

Agreed. Although admittedly this thread does go into semi-hibernation at this time of the year the correct thread for discussing winter storms would be the one indicated above. This one is for storms and showers of the convective variety.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

A few sferics in the channel at the moment, I don't expect they will last very long, but some heavy showers following the main band of rain which could surprise a few people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
2 minutes ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

A few sferics in the channel at the moment, I don't expect they will last very long, but some heavy showers following the main band of rain which could surprise a few people.

I just mentioned these in my status update...I wonder if anyone can see any flashes?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 07 Feb 2017 - 05:59 UTC Wed 08 Feb 2017

ISSUED 21:18 UTC Mon 06 Feb 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Broad upper trough approaching from the Atlantic will disrupt on Tuesday as the upper patten bifurcates, with the Scandinavian block building more strongly. The associated cold pool with this upper trough will split, one portion sliding northwards to the W of Scotland, but the more notable cold pool drifting southwards to the western Mediterranean by Wednesday morning.

This cold pool, atop SSTs and daytime temperatures inland, will generate a few hundred Jkg-1 CAPE with scattered showers expected to develop, some weakly electrified. Given cold air aloft and steep lapse rates, the most intense showers will be capable of producing quite a bit of small hail. The exact forecast evolution is complicated somewhat by a post-cold front occlusion which may provide an area of cloud and showery precipitation over SW Britain, the detail of which varies from run-to-run amongst NWP - this might inhibit convection to a certain extent. Nonetheless, a broad LOW threat level has been issued, not quite high enough to warrant a SLGT, with the best potential likely to be over Wales and SW England. 

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-02-07

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A flash of thunder? Lol   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Well, this is about as exciting as it stands here in North East Wales... Hardly a supercell is it? :mellow::nonono:
... Still the day is young, and there is some heat in the sun (for February anyway), and being as the other Saturday's convective cloudscape fest didn't kick off until mid afternoon, I am still hopeful of seeing some convective cloudscapes before the day is out. :rolleyes:

IMG_6536.JPG

Posted

... Encouraging signs now starting to appear over towards the west :good:

IMG_6537.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Could be a few thundery showers this time tomorrow, working their way up the western side of the UK. Nothing exciting but the season is coming!!

• Like 1