Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Just started recording video as strike came down. Got a great rumble of thunder from it but just missed the strike. Almost perfect timing.

What great weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I find we often do quite well around the Bristol Channel in these sort of setups - nothing plumetastic but interesting to see these sharp thundery showers crop up quickly.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

There be lightning in them clouds this evening! Saw a few flashes from a CB over the Severn Estuary on my drive down the M5 about half an hour ago.

I drove down the M5 this morning as the squall line passed over. I have rarely driven in rain like it. Even at 25mph I couldn't see where I was going and all the traffic virtually stopped - bit scary on a motorway as you never know what will ram you from behind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
Just now, Chris K said:

I find we often do quite well around the Bristol Channel in these sort of setups - nothing plumetastic but interesting to see these sharp thundery showers crop up quickly.

Yeah Bristol Channel, always fuel these sharp showers got a couple of pictures today too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
25 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

I drove down the M5 this morning as the squall line passed over. I have rarely driven in rain like it. Even at 25mph I couldn't see where I was going and all the traffic virtually stopped - bit scary on a motorway as you never know what will ram you from behind.

Had a very similar experience on September 14th 2015 - unbelievably heavy rain no the M5 - the Avonmouth bridge was certainly not fun being able to see nothing with a buffering wind.

Posted

Sferics being picked up this morning across the NW from Birkenhead to Glossop, Manchester Airport METAR going for the likelyhood of CBs throughout the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Stunning night last night, the loudest brightest flash of thunder & lightning I've ever seen & heard, this occurred around 7.30pm. Then around 2am this morning woke to more thunder & lightning + an epic hail storm. Everywhere was covered in hail & it was still there this morning.

Good start to this Winter & hey, the best thunderstorm I've had for many a year - crazy it came at the back end of Autumn.

Edited by SteveB
  • Like 3

Posted

Traumatised to say the least.. I decided yesterday afternoon at an hour before sunset to take a walk down to the beach and saw what looked from the angle i viewed it from, a light short shower once I was down there. I decided to stay down at the beach and wait it out and regret it alot! The rain kept on battering me for a good half hour straight very heavily in i think what might be some of the most gusty wind I have ever experienced whilst outside myself. The sand was just picked up and lifted by the wind and some quite large rocks the size of one of my hands were slowly blowing up the beach whilst I struggled to stand up at all.. Definitely going to check the radar next time I decided to pop out to an exposed area for a walk even when its completely blue sky above me and we aren't forecasted for anything..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Half a dozen rumbles early this morning from the showers out in the channel. Nice to hear after a lull in storm activity :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
7 hours ago, SteveB said:

Stunning night last night, the loudest brightest flash of thunder & lightning I've ever seen & heard, this occurred around 7.30pm. Then around 2am this morning woke to more thunder & lightning + an epic hail storm. Everywhere was covered in hail & it was still there this morning.

Good start to this Winter & hey, the best thunderstorm I've had for many a year - crazy it came at the back end of Autumn.

Yes brilliant last night ,went shopping at Asda weston ,left 7,30 pm ish, whilst in car park we thought some one was taking photo with flash but within seconds one al mighty crack of thunder ,plus v hvy rain , did hearthe storm I n the night and hail still covering the ground at 7 am ,cheers .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 minute ago, cardiff lad said:

Of topic just seen on Twitter house on fire from lightning strike 1530 just outside Cardiff the one that made me jump it was purple in colour .

Could well have been a +CG strike. Quite common during short lived or mature  cells. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

10m wind gusts on Sunday morning look pretty sporting. Touching 130kph which is 80mph or 70 knots.

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet!

arpegeuk-11-44-0.png

4305_vnx4.png

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, jamesbhx said:

10m wind gusts on Sunday morning look pretty sporting. Touching 130kph which is 80mph or 70 knots.

Surprised no ones mentioned it yet!

arpegeuk-11-44-0.png

4305_vnx4.png

Meto have issued an amber alert for winds on the south coast from storm Angus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 05:59 UTC Sun 20 Nov 2016

ISSUED 11:30 UTC Sat 19 Nov 2016

ISSUED BY: Dan

Cold air aloft atop seasonably warm SSTs will generate numerous showers along west-facing parts of Britain and Ireland on Saturday, perhaps with some sporadic, but fairly isolated, lightning. Some small hail and gusty winds are possible from the most intense showers, with snow on high ground.

Attention on Saturday night then turns to southern Britain as a deep area of low pressure approaches, bringing widespread precipitation envelope, and strong gradient winds through the English Channel and neighbouring coastal counties. During the early hours of Sunday, behind the main pulse of dynamic rain, squally showers are likely to develop, driving inland across southern coastal counties. The environment looks conducive to strong gusts of wind from the most intense showers, with perhaps a tornado - similar setups in the past have produced tornadoes, the most prone areas tending to be the coastline of the Isle of Wight/Hampshire eastwards to East Sussex. Some lightning will be possible with this activity.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2016-11-19

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1 hour ago, Weather26 said:

And the met office have also named Angus as the first storm of the season.

New thread for Angus