Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
46 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

The sun is out and absolutely no sign of this mornings mayhem apart from a few sandbags dotted around. I can't praise our firemen highly enough. Despite this being one of the worst affected region, and the fact they must have been rushed off their feet, they cheerfully battled the elements(pumping while it was still bucketing down), they had our drains unblocked and running freely shortly after the rain stopped and were so patient with all the rubberneckers and kids.Our parish councillor was fantastic too despite some people being really quite rude to him ( like it's his fault the trains aren't running!)Sometimes pandemonium brings out the best in people.

I nw have a flushing toilet and I'm off for a nap!

Yes, those men and women are professionals of the best order.

I've been catching up with the photos and reports on the BBC - nice that no one was seriously hurt - but there have been a few sewage eruptions. The most bizarre story was the manhole cover that was struck by lightning - I've seen a few of them go up in storms (the one at the end of our road here in France blew its top in January, I think it was and I saw them going up in those Christmas floods in Baildon and Bingley), but never heard of one being struck.Some of the lightning photos were amazing.

The Limousin storm shield remained intact but there has been some very heavy rain.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Is this one anywhere near you?

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWATLING5

56.3mm at that station. :)

I'd like to know how much fell a few miles NE of Winchester. On the current 24 hour accumulation it is into the pink colouring and there was probably some before this time yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Andy Bown said:

I'd like to know how much fell a few miles NE of Winchester. On the current 24 hour accumulation it is into the pink colouring and there was probably some before this time yesterday.

Basingstoke area, Andy?

Posted

hope a few storm starved got their fix last night,   bit of a no show here , but that was forecast, we got our turn on tues evening , and what a show it was , more so to the east of here in the manchester area,  went on chase towards it and was amazed at some of the lightning which was vivid at dusk,     to be honest its not been a bad year in this part for thunder ,   easily 9 or 10 thunder days ,  some have just been a couple of rumbles , and a one or two have been quite feisty ,  and the good news is the irish sea to the west of here is quite warm,  any unstable cold uppers going into autumn and winter could give some good coastal convection 

Edited by IanR
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had thunder and lightning this morning - scared me a bit because it woke me up! About 6am but it had been raining before then so I must have caught the back-end of it.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Andy, if you click on that link then pan out until you find a local station,you'll find the local recordings

Posted
57 minutes ago, IanR said:

snip:

we got our turn on tues evening , and what a show it was , more so to the east of here in the manchester area,  went on chase towards it and was amazed at some of the lightning which was vivid at dusk

I was staying in Lowton Tuesday night, and agree it was a show, started around 5.45pm (may be a bit earlier, I was in the office) and was still rumbling on at 8pm. I keep a push bike over there as its a regular trip for me, and cycle from my digs to the office. I cycled back through the thick of it around 6.15pm Got soaked through, and a couple of close ones almost caused brown trousers! I had thought of sitting it out in the office but a quick look at the storm radar told me I would be stuck there a while and it hadnt really got going so I thought I'd go for it. About half way back it really started.

East Coast where I live has been a complete loss this week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Evening all. So last night I slept with the windows a jar to let air in and left the curtains open and laid in bed watching the sky til about 2.30am when I must have drifted off. About 12.45am I started to see the sky lighting up every 20 - 30 seconds from distant flashes from a storm. There was no thunder so it must have been very far away. Near the 2am mark I'm not entirely positive but I'm pretty sure I could hear very distant thunder (the distant flashes were still just as frequent) as it was right on the barely audiable range. I woke about 5am and it was lovely and cool, so much nicer than how it felt going to bed. There were rain drops on the windows. My mother said we did have a storm go right over us last night with lots of lightning and loud thunder so I must've slept through it. :wallbash:No storm since the first week of june until now and yet again I miss it. I do feel a little satisfied with the distant flashes I saw however.

EDIT - Apparently the storm we had in the early morning was between about 6 - 6.30am. I got up at 5am to use the toilet and then went back to sleep and missed it. Gutted. So close.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Well had the first storm of the year. A weak affair with no rain but one or two good lightning flashes.

Same here,first storm of the year at around 3.15am.Torrential rain for a good 20-25 mins.The thunder and lightning wasn't that frequent but boy it was loud sharp cracks,with very little in the way of rolling thunder heard.This could have been the same storm that you had as it pushed north.

Posted
18 minutes ago, mike57 said:

I was staying in Lowton Tuesday night, and agree it was a show, started around 5.45pm (may be a bit earlier, I was in the office) and was still rumbling on at 8pm. I keep a push bike over there as its a regular trip for me, and cycle from my digs to the office. I cycled back through the thick of it around 6.15pm Got soaked through, and a couple of close ones almost caused brown trousers! I had thought of sitting it out in the office but a quick look at the storm radar told me I would be stuck there a while and it hadnt really got going so I thought I'd go for it. About half way back it really started.

East Coast where I live has been a complete loss this week.

ah lowton about 4 miles from my house,  just wondered if i had stayed at home the show would have been  just as good,  it all seemed to be going east of here , I could see the flashes and distant growling thunder sneaking past ,   so i went after it in the car as traffic was easing,   but  I think it had some back building too over this area  , it was still giving odd flashes and rumbles when  I got back to my house , but quickly died  

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Muffelchen said:

weird year with seemingly lots of thunder around the country but in Bev we have only had two thunder days this year, which is extremely low even for places like West Wales, not amind East Yorks. Don't look great for today either and the two days we did have we little more than a rumble and flash or two.

@Muffelchen ...here in west Wales we haven't had any thunder this week although we came close on Tuesday - the storms stopped being electrically active just east of us near Swansea.  We've had 5 thunder days so far this year which is about average, this compares to the 14 thunder days we had in 2014 which is the most I can remember.  So you have had quite a thunder drought in your area even by our standards :D 

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, IanR said:

ah lowton about 4 miles from my house,  just wondered if i had stayed at home the show would have been  just as good,  it all seemed to be going east of here , I could see the flashes and distant growling thunder sneaking past ,   so i went after it in the car as traffic was easing,   but  I think it had some back building too over this area  , it was still giving odd flashes and rumbles when  I got back to my house , but quickly died  

We were definitely on the western edge of it, the majority of the lightning was to the east, with several closer ones. under 5 secs between flash and thunder. Where I was stay has open aspects and at one point you could see the storm to the east and sunlight to the west.

Posted

just been watching the videos on youtube, great work guys, the storms look insane and seen the one where it strikes near the horses in the field, I was actually awake at 02:30am watching it on radar on my phone as I was wondering if it was coming towards us or not plus couldn't sleep lol, flash flash bang bang did u get stuck at all mate? when u went down the farm track. but it has cleared the air though, I thought judging via the surface pressure charts on the met office that there was supposed to be 2 cold fronts going through last night. can any one elaborate on this please? 

Edited by viking_smb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

I make it 6 thunder days for here in 2016. There may have been more, but off the top of my head I can only think of 6

Edited by Jcweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

44mm of rain today, plus a flash of lightning and a couple of rumbles. Very disappointing year storm-wise, nothing during the summer months and distant thunder in the spring on four occasions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not a single storm over Derby, but a few days whereby very distant rumbles have been heard. Derby didn't even get anything this month, despite storms being very close on both the 13th (to the west and north) and on the 16th (to the north and east). I'm just glad I have got out and chased, as that has made this year very good overall despite a very poor July and August.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
21 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Not a single storm over Derby, but a few days whereby very distant rumbles have been heard. Derby didn't even get anything this month, despite storms being very close on both the 13th (to the west and north) and on the 16th (to the north and east). I'm just glad I have got out and chased, as that has made this year very good overall despite a very poor July and August.

We had a storm on Thursday morning here at 3.30am and I'm just 5 miles north of Derby.I asked people at work in Derby if they had heard it and everyone said no!.First overhead storm for quieter a while here.The thunder was in short sharp cracks and extremely loud.I'd say there were 9 or 10 flashes and the rain was insane.Heres a image I found and you can clearly see the storm over Derby.

image.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
16 hours ago, IanR said:

hope a few storm starved got their fix last night,   bit of a no show here , but that was forecast, we got our turn on tues evening , and what a show it was , more so to the east of here in the manchester area,  went on chase towards it and was amazed at some of the lightning which was vivid at dusk,     to be honest its not been a bad year in this part for thunder ,   easily 9 or 10 thunder days ,  some have just been a couple of rumbles , and a one or two have been quite feisty ,  and the good news is the irish sea to the west of here is quite warm,  any unstable cold uppers going into autumn and winter could give some good coastal convection 

Yes, I missed out this week completely apart from one  + CG from a dying cell,  but I am very excited about the  prospects for winter. I often do very well from ocean effect convection  in the winter months  being right on the coast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
16 hours ago, Jcweather said:

I make it 6 thunder days for here in 2016. There may have been more, but off the top of my head I can only think of 6

3 for me I think. Dreadful year for thunderstorms. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Spenna'82. said:

We had a storm on Thursday morning here at 3.30am and I'm just 5 miles north of Derby.I asked people at work in Derby if they had heard it and everyone said no!.First overhead storm for quieter a while here.The thunder was in short sharp cracks and extremely loud.I'd say there were 9 or 10 flashes and the rain was insane.Heres a image I found and you can clearly see the storm over Derby.

image.png

My parents live in Heage and they saw this storm too. They said the power went off for about an hour and there was quite a few flashes of lightning. I was not in Derby so can't speak from personal experience but I too asked around and nobody from Derby itself heard anything.

Posted

It was all over the news on the 16th September, the storms that occurred from the evening of the 15th right through to the end of the 16th. There was lots of flooding, lightning and I myself witnessed how intense the rainfall was. I was also impressed with how intense some of the lightning was, with very loud thunder. One place that was mentioned was Newbury in Berkshire where flooding rains hit.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-09-16/thunder-storms-and-flash-flooding-cause-traffic-chaos/

I intercepted the Newbury storm as it passed over Newbury between about 6pm and 7pm on the evening of the 15th. This storm had developed over London and very slowly ambled its way westwards. As it pushed further west it lost a lot of its energy, but when it hit Newbury it was producing some torrential rainfall and vivid lightning. 

Here is a video I took as I core punched the storm. The total video of this storm alone is around half an hour, with a lot of it footage of me approaching the storm and then some of me driving out the other side of the core. I have only edited and saved this part so far as I would say this is the best bit. Unfortunately I was unable to get out and film the storm so missed out on getting the loud thunder on camera. Although you can actually just about hear it from inside the car on the video, and I could clearly hear it whilst I was driving. The storms I saw later on made up for this though as I was treated to many loud crashes of thunder.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/86629/weather-nature/torrential-storm-over-newbury

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Excellent drive thru video....Nice one Supa

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Supacell said:

It was all over the news on the 16th September, the storms that occurred from the evening of the 15th right through to the end of the 16th. There was lots of flooding, lightning and I myself witnessed how intense the rainfall was. I was also impressed with how intense some of the lightning was, with very loud thunder. One place that was mentioned was Newbury in Berkshire where flooding rains hit.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-09-16/thunder-storms-and-flash-flooding-cause-traffic-chaos/

I intercepted the Newbury storm as it passed over Newbury between about 6pm and 7pm on the evening of the 15th. This storm had developed over London and very slowly ambled its way westwards. As it pushed further west it lost a lot of its energy, but when it hit Newbury it was producing some torrential rainfall and vivid lightning. 

Here is a video I took as I core punched the storm. The total video of this storm alone is around half an hour, with a lot of it footage of me approaching the storm and then some of me driving out the other side of the core. I have only edited and saved this part so far as I would say this is the best bit. Unfortunately I was unable to get out and film the storm so missed out on getting the loud thunder on camera. Although you can actually just about hear it from inside the car on the video, and I could clearly hear it whilst I was driving. The storms I saw later on made up for this though as I was treated to many loud crashes of thunder.

https://www.newsflare.com/video/86629/weather-nature/torrential-storm-over-newbury

This is the Reading cell from the evening isn't it? This was followed by apocalyptic overnight rains which flooded both Newbury and Didcot areas.  Great footage showing the intensity of the lightning which missed me only 15  miles away

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

Wow! great video Supa, I got caught up in the aftermath the next day driving to Hayes the traffic was chaos but nothing like that overnight near me.

Again, thanks for posting the video.

• Like 1