Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted

A few heavy spells of rain this morning in East Kent but nothing electrical, it seems the storm activity went further north (large storm out in the north sea east of Scotland this morn and one building across East Anglia) I'd happily be proved wrong this afternoon..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!
11 minutes ago, reef said:

Storm shield working well here. No thunder around and its still bone dry!

Hi Reef,

weird year with seemingly lots of thunder around the country but in Bev we have only had two thunder days this year, which is extremely low even for places like West Wales, not amind East Yorks. Don't look great for today either and the two days we did have we little more than a rumble and flash or two.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Yes, it has been raining quite hard for an hour and a half here but no thunder and lightening.

As you say Muffelchen such a lack of t-storms in this area for a year or more.

B.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I have come to the conclusion that thunder is far scarier when you can't see the lightning, 7:30 this mornin when I was trying to get a nap in and the loudest piece of thunder I have ever heard made me jump out of bed like my bed had just given me a 50000v shock. I suspect it was a positive strike or was very very close, we had a positive IC strike during the night as well and a close CG but none compared to the bowel emptying explosion of this morning.  Lightning rates were not spectacular in these storms though but the rain was something else!  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

I see we sneaked into the red ish zone. Only really started at 6.30am, but an monsoon for about 2 hours. Unreal.

Not as good as the Bmth one last July - good job I was down visiting the folks at the time in Parkstone!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
1 hour ago, Mesoscale said:

I have come to the conclusion that thunder is far scarier when you can't see the lightning, 7:30 this mornin when I was trying to get a nap in and the loudest piece of thunder I have ever heard made me jump out of bed like my bed had just given me a 50000v shock. I suspect it was a positive strike or was very very close, we had a positive IC strike during the night as well and a close CG but none compared to the bowel emptying explosion of this morning.  Lightning rates were not spectacular in these storms though but the rain was something else!  

That's why I carry a radio with me at all times when  i'm on storm watch.  Old school, but I can also get enough information about strikes from it that it is a useful tool. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Moisty said:

That was the biggest storm I've experienced for many years, the lightning was constant for about 3 hours but noticed that some of the brightest strikes were not always accompanied by  thunder. We lost power at about 1pm for a couple of hours. Sleep was impossible until about 3.30pm.

I was in Micheldever filming the storms last night and can concur the lightning was incredible. I also saw a CG which was followed by a number of green flashes, which may indicate a transformer being hit or something like that. I didn't notice at the time but then realised a while after that no lights were on in any houses and street lights were out. I need to edit through hours and hours of footage but will see if I can see the point where the lights go out and whether it coincides with the CG and the green flashes.

I left the storms at about 2:30am as had to get back home but what a storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Caught a very close strike in Blackwater which was annoyingly blocked by the wiper blade! :angry:

vlcsnap-2016-09-16-12h11m08s34.png

Edited by AIRMET
Will upload vids via YT
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Afternoon peeps:)

well two storms in one week isn't half bad is it,this morning i got up at 5am and noticed a flash to my south and thought what the hell,i immediately turned on the comp to find out that a storm was coming in from the south so grabbed the camera and turned it on and dead it was,i was gutted not noticing it was hooked up via usb to the comp and it drained the battery,so i charged it up for a few minutes just to get a short clip and i did,yippy!!:)

just one lightning stike and thunder on it ,the storm was fantastic with multiple cg's with as much as 5-6 at once and the thunder was very loud too,it was a shame i didn't capture it all

again that auto focus was on,and forgot to turn it off,so sorry for it being blurry

vlcsnap-3939-11-07-17h17m48s010.pngvlcsnap-7832-02-11-06h37m58s502.png

well that could be it for this season unless we get something from PM air mass from the NW,bring on the thunder-snow:D

also,i will have a dig through Tuesday's clips at some point,that will take some looking through though,and i am glad to hear that some folk also joined in on the fun,and don't be downbeat if you didn't get any,there is always next year,chin up:friends:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

If I hadn't have had work this morning, I would've car slept and chased into Surrey. Regretting not doing so now! Called it a day early as I saw the reading storm head off. Nevertheless, some fantastic pictures and discussion. This is what keeps this forum so entertaining and brilliant. 

Majorca next Thursday for me, so maybe a last dosage of storms for the year next week! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

If I hadn't have had work this morning, I would've car slept and chased into Surrey. Regretting not doing so now! Called it a day early as I saw the reading storm head off. Nevertheless, some fantastic pictures and discussion. This is what keeps this forum so entertaining and brilliant. 

Majorca next Thursday for me, so maybe a last dosage of storms for the year next week! 

Dam work i know,i would of caught some more footage if i hadn't had to set off to work @5:45am

good luck in Majorca next week EES:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
26 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Dam work i know,i would of caught some more footage if i hadn't had to set off to work @5:45am

good luck in Majorca next week EES:)

I'm mad enough to have got back home at 5:30am when setting off for work at 7:30am. I tend to pull out all the stops at this time of the year in preparation for the storm droughts of winter :)

Oh and btw, you were spot on with your prediction of Winchester last night. 

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Muffelchen said:

Hi Reef,

weird year with seemingly lots of thunder around the country but in Bev we have only had two thunder days this year, which is extremely low even for places like West Wales, not amind East Yorks. Don't look great for today either and the two days we did have we little more than a rumble and flash or two.

Yes, just two days here aswell. I've never known a summer this poor for storms in this area.

We only got 4.4mm of rain from today's band in the end.

Posted
3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Last night/today morning was epic!

Well, I had all of a refreshing one hours sleep. Connie_male-snore.gif

24hr accumulative map:

2016-09-16 (7).png

Iwas literally on the outer edge of that and can confirm it didn't shift all night! Been awake since 2.30. The rain was so loud it was impossible to hear the thunder for an hour or so. Just in from work now and am surviving on chocolate and caffeine (which I vowed to give up)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
31 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Iwas literally on the outer edge of that and can confirm it didn't shift all night! Been awake since 2.30. The rain was so loud it was impossible to hear the thunder for an hour or so. Just in from work now and am surviving on chocolate and caffeine (which I vowed to give up)

Is this one anywhere near you?

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWATLING5

56.3mm at that station. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Despite a chance of a storm, today has been dull with heavy showers and nothing electrical

Posted
7 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Is this one anywhere near you?

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWATLING5

56.3mm at that station. :)

Yeah...it's about six miles up the road. Slightly higher asl than us in the Thames valley. That's a lot of rain!:bomb:

• Like 1

Posted

The sun is out and absolutely no sign of this mornings mayhem apart from a few sandbags dotted around. I can't praise our firemen highly enough. Despite this being one of the worst affected region, and the fact they must have been rushed off their feet, they cheerfully battled the elements(pumping while it was still bucketing down), they had our drains unblocked and running freely shortly after the rain stopped and were so patient with all the rubberneckers and kids.Our parish councillor was fantastic too despite some people being really quite rude to him ( like it's his fault the trains aren't running!)Sometimes pandemonium brings out the best in people.

I nw have a flushing toilet and I'm off for a nap!

• Like 3

Posted

Closest weather station to me!!! No wonder I had a bucket full of water outside my back door!

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IWALLING6

Seems this could be legit.Have another local station recording over 90mm!

Edited by Frosty hollows
Additional info
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well had the first storm of the year. A weak affair with no rain but one or two good lightning flashes.

• Like 1