Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
10 minutes ago, Nick F said:

A few work colleagues that live in Berkshire gloating about all night storms with constant lightning and thunder, and I get bugger all in Croydon last night, not happy. 

Electrical activity seems to be easing now, just turning into a damp squib for many in the east. Though looks like a now storm developing ahead of thundery rain over E Cambs / W Suffolk now.

I think damp squib is generous Nick ;) But spotted the little (tiny? miniscule?) cell nr Ely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Slept through all the excitement! Gutted lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

If anyone's feeling glum - the lightning from storms last night weren't as prolific as I was expecting - it wasn't constant strobing lightning - but a lot of what there was were forks. I was kind of hoping for something like what Bournemouth got last year but I'm happy cos what we got was cool anyway.

just don't want people to think it was the most epic storm ever, especially if they missed out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well I'm very jealous of all you lucky people who had some great storms and rain over night (damage from flooding aside). The Medway storm shield held up strongly. Disappointed at the absence of storms this year, but happy for those whop have profited.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
23 hours ago, Nick F said:

A few work colleagues that live in Berkshire gloating about all night storms with constant lightning and thunder, and I get bugger all in Croydon last night, not happy. 

Electrical activity seems to be easing now, just turning into a damp squib for many in the east. Though looks like a now storm developing ahead of thundery rain over E Cambs / W Suffolk now.

An area of light to moderate rain here in SE London is how this incredible September heatwave departs.A pity really as something notable would of been the cherry on the cake.

An area this,that if you were into betting the odds would be loaded in favour of thunderstorms ending up in points South,North,East and West of here.Time after time this happens.Once in four years here gold has been struck storm wise, where as an example of Reading to my West, time and again in that time frame Storms line up.

Anyway enough whinging, I genuinely didn't expect much this time, despite amber warnings, for reasons stated.

The posts here and news coverage show plenty of epic events locally, nothing too widespread it seems.

Edited by sunnijim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms
30 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I think damp squib is generous Nick ;) But spotted the little (tiny? miniscule?) cell nr Ely!

Not expecting epic storms here Rob but the rain from the east and the rain from the west look like they'll meet somewhere in Norfolk, could be a tad damp soon

Edited by Candice

Posted

Sun's out now here, it's going to be a lovely bright, fresh day. We had about a mm from the last band of rain.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Candice said:

Not expecting epic storms here Rob but the rain from the east and the rain from the west look like they'll meet somewhere in Norfolk, could be a tad damp soon

Area nr Thetford is getting it's act together, should give some rumbles as it passes I expect. It's certainly quite active at the moment, will probably end up nearer you than me!

• Like 1

Posted

Another spectacular night for some, but I really feel for those who have suffered severe flooding. Extreme weather in the extreme!

BBC forecast suggests still plenty more lively weather to come later today, we will have to wait and see...

Posted

An impressive thunderstorm around 5.30pm yesterday here in Reading with 12mm of rain in half an hour and a 10 degree temperature drop from 27 to 17C in that time. More thunderstorms from around 3am onwards followed by persistent rain, giving around 30mm in total here since yesterday afternoon, and it hasn't stopped raining yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Had a line of storm cells passing over my location for several hours this morning. Rain was torrential and I couldn't make out any fork lightning through the murk - could only see the flashes. The thunder was extremely loud though, with some real claps and even one close one that made weird popping noises. The heaviest thunderstorm this year, but on the whole in 2016 we seem to have been stuck under ridging every time there's been a plume and so missed out. Bit of a disappointing storm year for Essex, but on the flip side, a really sunny hot summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a difference a year and a few miles can make: last year, Norwich kept getting hammered while we got nothing; this year, things have been reversed.

Amazing how out-of-touch with reality some folks are, innit? Just because water still flows from the taps (1976 excepted) everything's all hunky dory...How one's supposed to water a 10-acre cow/sheep pasture with a watering can, after 8wks without rain, is never apprehended.

After all, milk comes from Tesco!:D

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Surrey said:

What a night.. Gotta be the longest period of lightning and thunder I have ever experienced hours upon hours 

Now it's proper raining 

This is why some of us get so excited! It was just like the old school imports in the 80's! Started about 7 here and stopped about 2:30.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What a difference a year and a few miles can make: last year, Norwich kept getting hammered while we got nothing; this year, things have been reversed.

Amazing how out-of-touch with reality some folks are, innit? Just because water still flows from the taps (1976 excepted) everything's all hunky dory...How one's supposed to water a 10-acre cow/sheep pasture with a watering can, after 8wks without rain, is never apprehended.

After all, milk comes from Tesco!:D

:rofl: My hose is about 100yds long, I can do two paddocks :rofl:

Posted

Heavy-ish rain for a bit. All storm activity ceased once it got into Norfolk properly (as usual) 

EDIT: My lightning days have dramatically increased to TWO as I've just seen a single flash. Totes epic :p 

Edited by Norfolk Sheep

Posted

That was the biggest storm I've experienced for many years, the lightning was constant for about 3 hours but noticed that some of the brightest strikes were not always accompanied by  thunder. We lost power at about 1pm for a couple of hours. Sleep was impossible until about 3.30pm.

Posted

Can definitely feel the temperature difference as the cold-front has moved through here, from a balmy 26'c yesterday to a high of just 16'c expected for today. I have a feeling that was the last of the summer plumes for this year and with the Atlantic firing up again in-terms of tropical waves we can now look forward to the autumnal gales.

Posted

Total damp squib down here. 3mm of rain from leaden skies. Watch the radar and you can see the line split as it passes over the downs then re-invigorate the other side.

Posted
1 minute ago, warrenb said:

Total damp squib down here. 3mm of rain from leaden skies. Watch the radar and you can see the line split as it passes over the downs then re-invigorate the other side.

Amazing - active nr Brandon, dies off over Norfolk and re-invigorates off the coast - now very active. You really couldn't make it up....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I didn't manage to get pics last night but on Tyne Tees news there's some corker ones!

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/story/2016-09-16/thunder-storms-cause-disruption-across-the-region/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Never too late to see storms, although yes plumes of the best instability pretty much dwindle from now until the Spring as the continent begins to cool into the autumn & winter seasons.

The year has been somewhat poor again for this region. Apart from I think 1-2 odd days of brief thundery showers (still more than some here I guess...), it has taken until this month to see quite an impressive day on Tuesday (even though Bristol bizarrely escaped pretty much unscathed). Still...a noticeable lack of big imports from our South this year.

Hope anyone affected by damage and flooding take care and those who have enjoyed a light show got some pics. Certainly a fresher feel when I woke up this morning. I fear this week was pretty much the end of my "thunderstorm hunting season" and now I am turning to interesting autumnal storm development and of course...winter!

• Like 1