Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
2 minutes ago, UKSupercell said:

Well I'm sitting here in dry South Bucks (at present), struggling to eat a sandwich because I've got what appears to be Tonsillitis. Penicillin and salt water at the ready.

Christ, If I lived just south of Reading and swallowed every time there was a flash of lightning earlier, I'd have been in a damn site hell load of pain haha....

Think I'll get some much-needed rest and let you Surrey/Hants folk enjoy the show! 

Get better soon! I also weirdly appear to have tonsilitis and I feel dreadful, so i am also calling it a night! Good luck everyone:)

3 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

I was lucky enough to see a storm near Bordeaux from 36,000 feet early Wed morning (not keen on the turbulence though even if we were a decent distance away!) Seeing lightning flaring in every direction every second and being able to see the cloud structure was really something :) Goodness knows what the Amsterdam storm is like then!

I actually flew back from Crete into Manchester about 2 hours before THE storm hit later in the day Tuesday. There were enormous cumulonimbus the length of Italy, and we skirted past at 36000ft of one around Venice, possibly a little further North (Just inland from the Adriatic sea) We did a right turn to avoid going over the top, then a left turn to continue towards the UK via France, however we had not a drop of turbulence the entire flight. Incredibly smooth the whole way. I was amazed.

Edited by NorthernJord
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm glad I stayed up for this. It's not even a direct hit, but it has been a long time since we've had a decent light show at night.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I'm glad I stayed up for this. It's not even a direct hit, but it has been a long time since we've had a decent light show at night.

Been a good night watching it all unfold. Hopefully we will get a direct hit soon. It's not far away! Very heavy rain here in Sandbanks now. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Rapodo said:

Been a good night watching it all unfold. Hopefully we will get a direct hit soon. It's not far away! Very heavy rain here in Sandbanks now. 

its certainly heading in the right direction for Bournemouth area :)

• Like 1

Posted

Well my 4 year old is up and terrified. Absolutely shaking like a leaf.So she's downstairs with daddy and I'm in bed with the baby! Apart for that I'm lovin' it! Really kicking off with some massive crackers!

• Like 4

Posted

Hmm - Now the lights are flickering. I have a fish tank right here, running Co2 in to the tank from a fire extinguisher. O_O

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow
15 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Get better soon! I also weirdly appear to have tonsilitis and I feel dreadful, so i am also calling it a night! Good luck everyone:)

My temp is a bit up down and I feel weak, but no runny nose or cough so it's bacterial most likely. If you have cold symptoms then yours is probs viral and will go away easier within several days. Take it easy bro! 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Hmm - Now the lights are flickering. I have a fish tank right here, running Co2 in to the tank from a fire extinguisher. O_O

lights just flickered twice here in close succession despite not that close to a storm.... yet.... must be some notable outages occurring 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Starting to hear rumbles here. Seems to be some new developments near here which are rapidly growing. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

Quick update: now heading back West on A303. Storm right overhead!

• Like 3

Posted

I've unplugged everything to my aquarium, because the Co2 is plugged in via a solenoid. If something went wrong, the whole house would blow up. moderator.gif

• Like 3

Posted

IR showing cold cloud-tops from Swindon to Peterborough, i'm expecting to see this area beginning to 'light up' within the next hour or two.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: coldy

The last few hours it's been refusing to get down here, I see the distant lightning and hear the thunder but it's nothing more than just a tease at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

It's definitely liking the south - looking forward to about 30 mins moderate rain tomorrow morning to freshen up the garden (I cut what's left of my grass this afternoon) but NOT looking forward to a drop in temps!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
12 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Good lord that was a close cracking strike I nearly peed myself. Didn't half jump!!

Of course that would be after I moved away from the area. Still hearing occasional rumbles here.

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1

Posted

It's raining moderately here, now. Plenty of T&C still.. just not the torrential rain I was hoping for. :)

2016-09-16 (2).png

ps: I have a daily timelapse uploading at midnight now: http://www.warehamwx.co.uk/cumulus/timelapse.htm

It's a bit longer than I expected, I might have to cut the interval down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A friend in Basingstoke says the thunder and lightning is bad.

• Like 1