Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted

18z high-res models suggesting that a slight NW shift of the Amber warning may be required - EURO4, for example, extends the risk of disruptive rain across Hertfordshire into south Cambridgeshire on Friday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorm, Snow, Wind, Any Extremes :)
5 minutes ago, Moisty said:

Storm is almost stationary about 5 miles to my south east with constant rumbles, the lightning is more impressive than the thunder from here, but the soundwaves marked on Lightning Maps is spot on!

Literally was going to say that.  The last couple of storms the rings representing the sound wave is pretty much spot on!  Really amazing watching them and the rumble is right on cue!

Posted

Im getting some gusty south/easterly winds here in salisbury appearing out of the calm -definately still in the warm air for now im very humid out!!! first real clouds obscurring moonlight forming nearly overhead... hoping that the arc of more isolated cells is begging to fill in a bit so can get something a tad closer to the smalls!   Looking good for some people already hope everyones enjoying it :)

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

But saying that I am always willing to eat my hat....

Well I really hope you're wrong! I'm waiting with a lot of patience here! Haha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
Just now, JamieUK said:

Well I really hope you're wrong! I'm waiting with a lot of patience here! Haha!

Me too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I'm on my 5th rollup, I just can't stop watching this light show.

Ive almost smoked a whole pack waiting for a single flash! Hope your enjoying it!! :)

Posted

Ive got huge raindrops think its building something close by blitz seems to think there was a strike but cant hear much..... 

1 minute ago, Rapodo said:

extremly fast development happemning here near Bournemouth wind picking up now too

just had the same in Salisbury with the winds a few mins ago the arc is starting to fill out a bit now lets hope we get something electrical along the new forming line! :D 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Here we go! Big drops of rain now. I have my webcam on timelapse, but it's capturing every 10 seconds. Hopefully I've caught some lightning on it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sun blue skies no humidity or storms
On 14/09/2016 at 13:39, Evening thunder said:

This is confusing, haven't seen any other suggestion of storms in the south this afternoon.. is this meant to be issued for tomorrow instead?
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1473807600&regionName=sw

Looks much more like what's expected tomorrow.

*Edit: it's gone again so maybe they're changing it!

As for yesterday's forecasts the one I saw that correctly mentioned the thunderstorms here was from Carol Kirckwood on Breakfast

they later updated and said chnged due to error and something about meant for thurs not weds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

the breeze has picked up noticeably here in the past few minutes, easterly almost north easterly which doesnt tally in with modelling...I'm starting to think that th ingress of the cold front is delayed somewhat......anyhoos, lightning a tad closer and more numerous over the past 20 minutes....still distant thus no thunder but nice to see

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Just been rudely woken by lots (and I mean lots) of frequent lightning to the east, maybe 4-8 miles away. Getting closer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Look at the southward trajectory to the storms in the south, no way are they getting up past the home counties. 

Posted

went out to have a look at the winchester/Northington storm but couldn't make out much apart from very high up blue flashes and an almost constant peel of distant thunder. Very foggy and camera wasn't picking anything up. Lightning activity seems very very sporadic and could happen seemingly from anywhere

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Well I'm sitting here in dry South Bucks (at present), struggling to eat a sandwich because I've got what appears to be Tonsillitis. Penicillin and salt water at the ready.

Christ, If I lived just south of Reading and swallowed every time there was a flash of lightning earlier, I'd have been in a damn site hell load of pain haha....

Think I'll get some much-needed rest and let you Surrey/Hants folk enjoy the show! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
4 minutes ago, NorthernJord said:

There are aircraft at 39,000ft changing course around the Netherland storms. Those cumulonimbus must be enormous!

I was lucky enough to see a storm near Bordeaux from 36,000 feet early Wed morning (not keen on the turbulence though even if we were a decent distance away!) Seeing lightning flaring in every direction every second and being able to see the cloud structure was really something :) Goodness knows what the Amsterdam storm is like then!

• Like 1