Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I've not seen a warning like this!!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ee&fcTime=1473980400

An area of torrential, thundery rain is expected to develop across the region during early Friday morning bringing the potential for exceptionally large amounts of rain within a few hours. Frequent lightning and hail may be additional hazards. Whilst there remains some uncertainty about developments and areas affected, there could be major disruption. Please be prepared for the potential for very severe weather conditions bringing flash flooding and disruption to transport.

A cold front approaching moist, unstable air is expected to generate a line of exceptionally heavy, thundery rain. Possible sustained hourly rates of more than 30 mm could result in totals of more than 100 mm in 3-4 hours. Particularly in urban areas, this could lead to flooding of properties and businesses and major disruption to transport.

• Like 9

Posted

Wew, I'm off to bed with the windows and curtains open in the hope of any thundery activity waking me up. 

I do hark back to the storms o  the 1980' - mid 90's.  They were the best in this corner of the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

Well,maybe the motorway theory someone cited earlier has some credibility. An earlier M4 line,no one hugging the M25

Seems to be forming along the North Downs escarpment from Farnham to Swanley (NW Kent) - orographic lift?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Frosty hollows said:

Well,maybe the motorway theory someone cited earlier has some credibility. An earlier M4 line,now one hugging the M25

M25's a car park, sorry no heat generated there!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
4 minutes ago, Wet'n'Dry said:

I've not seen a warning like this!!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ee&fcTime=1473980400

An area of torrential, thundery rain is expected to develop across the region during early Friday morning bringing the potential for exceptionally large amounts of rain within a few hours. Frequent lightning and hail may be additional hazards. Whilst there remains some uncertainty about developments and areas affected, there could be major disruption. Please be prepared for the potential for very severe weather conditions bringing flash flooding and disruption to transport.

A cold front approaching moist, unstable air is expected to generate a line of exceptionally heavy, thundery rain. Possible sustained hourly rates of more than 30 mm could result in totals of more than 100 mm in 3-4 hours. Particularly in urban areas, this could lead to flooding of properties and businesses and major disruption to transport.

Sounds like a red warning rather than amber but I guess it would be red only if they could pinpoint specific areas. Looks like any activity for the Midlands is out now

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

The band looks to be weakening now. Ill give it another 15 mins then bed time with the window open i think. 

• Like 1

Posted

Goodnight all, I have to get up early for work.

I hope you all get what you're looking for over the coming hours. Stay safe and get your pets in!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Right, going to sleep now, got to be up early tomorrow for school. Could do with not being woken up by a storm but if I am, I am. Enjoy whatever you may get everyone, stay safe, and I look forward to checking back here in the morning

• Like 2

Posted

Unsure wether to go all-night with this as for the NW it's fairly borderline in terms of how far west the cold-front initiates convection. It's not until around 4am that things are forecast to get going across the north and midlands.

• Like 1

Posted

Goodluck all. I had my stonker a couple nights ago up here in West Yorkshire.

I'll be radar watching for a few hours hoping it explodes for you guys who are storm starved.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

definitely a speck of precip over on the Cambs/Northants border. 

Anyone else love how the storms have formed in the form of a Thames streamer?! 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just popped out into the back garden for a cheeky smoke and can see distant lightning from the storm near Winchester (a good 45-50 miles away as the crow flies)....nice

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It does look like things are starting to destabilise in between those two areas of showers, the one in the channel, and the one East of Winchester. Development just to my West.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Im going to call it and say im too far north now unless some serious forcing comes into play. I saw some incredible storms earlier, although I didn't get a drop of rain the structure and the cloudscapes where insane. It was the first time I have ever seen mamatus and I watched multiple updrafts become anvils.  

• Like 4