Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was it Piers Corbyn???

No, David Icke....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

Somebody with a weather background said years ago that thunderstorms could align with motorways, due to the additional heat generated by vehicles, and the reflected heat from the road surface, and he had thunderstorm paths plotted running up the M1, M6 and a couple of other big wide roads... This was back in the very early 1990s, and it looked pretty convincing, and I suppose there could be some truth in it, what do you wise people of Netweather think....?

That's not true at all IMO, on far too small a scale to have that much of an impact. Now the likes of the London UHI, that can definitely give out enough heat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

No, David Icke....

Are you sure it wasn't Uri Geller - he of the 'orange blob'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Cells firing up nr Yeovil and surrounding places.

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul Roberts said:

Very ominous skies to the north from here. Have set the camera up (on a tripod on the windowsill, with one of the legs in the kitchen sink) to try and photograph some lightning but currently a bit too light outside. Have seen lots of scud from the base of the storm and it looks like it could be a real show. Haven't seen any lightning yet. 

edit: getting closer, 20 plus cc's in the last 3 mins.

LOLOL Impressive set up :-D I jsut about saw the edge of that and heard 3 distant rumbles around 7/730 when I was clearing the garden up and getting the laundry in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

May well be a rare situation soon. By this, I mean turning on the schveningen cam and watching that humdinger attempt to reach east Anglia! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

re. storms following motorways......actually I did think there is some merit in this at one time........years ago (2006) I posted a thread on this very subject as indeed I'd felt looking at radar archives that there did seem to be a correlation between surface based thunderstorms and areas of artificial heating, certainly the urban heat effect is a well documented phenomena.........I did however, check the british motorway infrastructure and compared it to local topography and found that most UK motorways occupy natural valleys (easier to build I guess, less stuff to dig/blow up) and local topography can and does affect surface based storm motion, thus I concluded that it was just a coincidence

back on current discussion, where's my damned storm! ....lol

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

re. storms following motorways......actually I did think there is some merit in this at one time........years ago (2006) I posted a thread on this very subject as indeed I'd felt looking ar]t radar acrhives that there did seem to be a correlation between surface based thunderstorms and areas of artificial heating, certainly the urban heat effect is a well documented phenomena.........I did however, check the british motorway infrastructure and compared it to local topography and found that most UK motorways occupy natural valleys (easier to build I guess, less stuff to dig/blow up) and local topography can and does affect surface based storm motion, thus I concluded that it was just a coincidence

back on current discussion, where's my damned storm! ....lol

I've often commented in the office how storms do tend to develop along the M25, i.e. around London, and then the steering winds carrying them across the capital on a surprising number of occasions. Today wasn't really one of these type of events (as it was most likely UHI driven combined with the convergence) but it does happen a surprising number of times that London tends to be in a hole initially. Or just coincidence?

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Tuesday night. Winter Hill transmitter in background and Peel monument becomes visible. Those horses must have crapped themselves!

https://mobile.twitter.com/EUStormMap/status/775953444452438016/video/1

Amazing! notice how the CG on the hill to the right at 0:01 seems to spark the close striking CG

Edited by ChezWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

That's not true at all IMO, on far too small a scale to have that much of an impact. Now the likes of the London UHI, that can definitely give out enough heat!

Aye...I remember a whopper of a storm, in London, back when there were still steam-trains (c.1965!)...I didn't know then, that the phenomenon had a name, but, watching that storm build ( huge black clouds with very sharp edges) made me realise that inner-city weather was different to that in the sticks...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Just now, staplehurst said:

I've often commented in the office how storms do tend to develop along the M25, i.e. around London, and then the steering winds carrying them across the capital on a surprising number of occasions. Today wasn't really one of these type of events (as it was most likely UHI driven) but it does happen a surprising number of times that London tends to be in a whole initially. Or just coincidence?

Dan, I must ask you.....Will it storm in Swindon tonight?......yes, no or maybe? :wink:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Tuesday night. Winter Hill transmitter in background and Peel monument becomes visible. Those horses must have crapped themselves!

https://mobile.twitter.com/EUStormMap/status/775953444452438016/video/1

I got a screen grab of that:D

Untitled.png

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Dan, I must ask you.....Will it storm in Swindon tonight?......yes, no or maybe? :wink:

Then again - will it snow in Carlisle!:yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

Ha! I'd say you have a reasonable chance, more likely between midnight and say 5am, but probably on the western edge - go any further west and suspect your chances will drop fairly quickly...

Posted
10 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Amazing! notice how the CG on the hill to the right at 0:01 seems to spark off the close striking CG

got it,hill to hill makes sense:)

Untitled 1.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
5 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

I've often commented in the office how storms do tend to develop along the M25, i.e. around London, and then the steering winds carrying them across the capital on a surprising number of occasions. Today wasn't really one of these type of events (as it was most likely UHI driven combined with the convergence) but it does happen a surprising number of times that London tends to be in a hole initially. Or just coincidence?

Classic case of asking does correlation = causation? And it's important to ask how true correlation is too. We can be easily fooled by confirmation bias. 

Things seem to be picking up now! 

Edited by John Hodgson
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Humidity seems to have dropped, but still pretty warm. We shall see...

Posted
2 minutes ago, staplehurst said:

Ha! I'd say you have a reasonable chance, more likely between midnight and say 5am, but probably on the western edge - go any further west and suspect your chances will drop fairly quickly...

cheers mate.....if I send you £20 via paypal, can you change that from a 'reasonable' to a 'definite' ? :wink:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

After a few hours of things being quiet, we've just had some rumbles of thunder, sounded like it was to the south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Would be wonderful to see a line of lightning strikes to form between Belgium and the south of the uk. I can picture it. Asking for too much?

• Like 5