Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Seems I just missed out on storm potential, saw some beautiful cloudscapes though. Still hope for something later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather
32 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

It might be equipped with satnav.

When I played the storm on radar it's following the M4 exactly (moving west), very weird!

Posted
1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Might I enquire as to the likelihood of sferics in my area (S. Norfolk) overnight?  My namesake (forecaster with Weatherquest and on local BBC news) suggested overnight storms no further north ot north-eaast than Essex  and the Three Counties, with my area getting in-on the act tomorrow.

Agreed - although wouldn't be surprised if Norfolk didn't see much in the way of lightning at all. Going to be a real mess tomorrow, plenty of convective rain around but sceptical as to how much lightning there will be...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, staplehurst said:

Agreed - although wouldn't be surprised if Norfolk didn't see much in the way of lightning at all. Going to be a real mess tomorrow, plenty of convective rain around but sceptical as to how much lightning there will be...

Thanks Dan.  Regarding your colleague, you can imagine my double-take when he first appeared on the news!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather

I could just hear the thunder from the Newbury storm in Swindon, hopefully should see lightning as it gets dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Is lightning maps down or has everything died? 

Sat just off the M27 waiting for something to happen lol 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

Don't think you will be to far away where you are

Posted
5 minutes ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

No, Blitzortung hasn't shown anything for a while in the Uk. Belgium storm going like the clappers though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just drove through a very intense storm over Newbury. I couldn't get out as rain was torrential but saw lots of bright flashes and bolts. It's all faded to nothing now though. Hopefully I am sat in a good place for more action this evening.

• Like 4

Posted

Yes that's that's what I feared, nevermind I'm in a good spot and I am hoping that things will start to get going soon.

Does anybody have any idea when we are expecting things to get going? as I was under the impression it was a round about now.

Edited by Christchurch storm nut

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Well this is dull.  Is it the calm befor the storm, or just the calm before nothing? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
6 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Just drove through a very intense storm over Newbury. I couldn't get out as rain was torrential but saw lots of bright flashes and bolts. It's all faded to nothing now though. Hopefully I am sat in a good place for more action this evening.

I am glad that you saw some activity before it died off Supa,that would have been a real bummer if nothing happened while you was down there,did you get any footage?

Winchester might be a safe bet though if things kick off again,but do not listen to me,as i am no expert,but that one is the only heavier one at the mo.

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted

Could see flashing in the sky as I drove (within the speed limit) from bmouth, made it to Winchester services and it's all dead. Had planned on going up the A34 to intercept but she's dead Jim 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Loads of Ac Cas now illuminated by the full moon. Looks like a loaded gun sky if ever I've seen one. July 23rd 2013 was exactly the same and then come midnight it started going bang as everyone was writing it off! 

• Like 4

Posted
5 minutes ago, Supacell said:

tasty wasn't it?! I got stuck in Majestic wine waiting it out, bad times!

Okay I'm in my phone so can't do fancy drawings..

This is the current sat picture out west over the irish sea and running the length of the country is the cold front

Down south you can see the left overs of the reading storm..

We need to wait till the front comes in from the west and bumps into the warmer moist air across the UK 

Screenshot_2016-09-15-20-12-49.png

Screenshot_2016-09-15-20-12-59.png

Amazing sat I must say.. Lots and lots going on if it does go bang I think it really will go up!

• Like 2

Posted

Finally we are almost about to have lift off! sat in the car at the services off the M27and I can see a few flashes offer towards Winchester! game on guys come on

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Okay I'm in my phone so can't do fancy drawings..

This is the current sat picture out west over the irish sea and running the length of the country is the cold front

Down south you can see the left overs of the reading storm..

We need to wait till the front comes in from the west and bumps into the warmer moist air across the UK 

Screenshot_2016-09-15-20-12-49.png

Screenshot_2016-09-15-20-12-59.png

Amazing sat I must say.. Lots and lots going on if it does go bang I think it really will go up!

Oh dear how did you get there? Don't get too close to the CPU  and there is some RAM  on the rampage. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

Well this is dull.  Is it the calm befor the storm, or just the calm before nothing? 

If the sky rocketing humidity around here is anything to by JH I'm hoping the calm before the storm!

Posted
3 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Loads of Ac Cas now illuminated by the full moon. Looks like a loaded gun sky if ever I've seen one. July 23rd 2013 was exactly the same and then come midnight it started going bang as everyone was writing it off! 

I love it when you post! you always make me keep abit of faith that i might see a storm! 

• Like 2