Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

We might see the return of Grimsley soon, judging by his posts on UKWW :wink:

Weatherwise here, we had some Castellanus earlier when I was coming home from work which has moved off to the west. It's now mostly clear and humid.

As an aside, I love those raggedy clouds that come with an unstable atmosphere :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Very calm here, the sun just went down and it's currently 74f... now the fog is returning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I thought Newtown Popplewell was destroyed by a raging castellanus blitz linked to hurricane hooray Henry. ....

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, Ja'Crispy said:

Weatherwise here, we had some Castellanus earlier when I was coming home from work which has moved off to the west. It's now mostly clear and humid.

As an aside, I love those raggedy clouds that come with an unstable atmosphere :D

don't bank on it :whistling:

anyhoos moving on, new daughter cells forming on the western and southern flank of the reading storm and are starting to kick out more lightning, this storm refuses to die....just out the door now, 30 mins to my viewing spot

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I have spotted this to my WSW,don't know if anything will happen that way,i will keep you posted

DSC01014.JPG

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map#?map=Rainfall&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1473951600

Doesn't give anything for the Midlands/NW until 4am in the morning, down-south in the home counties however they are forecast to have a good few hours of storms and torrential rain ahead, well into tomorrow afternoon. Anything northwards will just be a fleeting glimpse as the front doesn't stick around for too long as it traverses west to east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

This storm likes the M4! Sferics starting to increase again...

Posted
5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I thought Newtown Popplewell was destroyed by a raging castellanus blitz linked to hurricane hooray Henry. ....

Castellanus Grimlius..often present where the air has become unstable owing to a sudden updraft of hot air. May be very localised

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Can't see any lightning as my view west is obscured by trees but can here constant rumbling from the Newbury direction. All around there is getting a right pasting at the moment. I'm surprised my tv signal reception from the Hannington transmitter hasn't been affected as there's a lot of lightning up that way at the moment. 

Edit: And I've just seen what's building to the south east over towards Odiham. I don't think it'll be too long before that starts putting out lightning too.

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
3 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map#?map=Rainfall&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1473951600

Doesn't give anything for the Midlands/NW until 4am in the morning, down-south in the home counties however they are forecast to have a good few hours of storms and torrential rain ahead, well into tomorrow afternoon. Anything northwards will just be a fleeting glimpse as the front doesn't stick around for too long as it traverses west to east.

Between 10am and say 4pm on that PPN projection is has a lot of PPN right down the east coast though?  That's a good few hours looking at that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Light fading now so hopefully any new cells that start popping up will be much more visible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.
4 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

This storm likes the M4! Sferics starting to increase again...

It might be equipped with satnav.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
10 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Just had a look at NEtwx-SR and that's a dead duck for us all the activity well to the east of us. Still as we know it doesn't always go to plan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

And the last two clips showing better lightning now it's a bit darker,i didn't bother uploading the first and last one as there wasn't much happening

• Like 2

Posted

12z EURO4 representing the storm activity reasonably well thus far - just a shame it's not available earlier in the afternoon!

However, it is still, alongside it's 00z and 06z counterparts, producing a lot of rain over London, Surrey, NW Kent and parts of Essex at the end of the night into first thing tomorrow morning - and given it's persistence this should probably be taken more seriously now that there could be some notable impacts in these areas for the morning commute etc...

net1.gifnet2.gif

Edited by staplehurst
  • Like 1

Posted

Finally I can report some good news - textbook AcCas above my hoose :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

AWD - great anylasis. I hope you're right. About blooming time we had a storm in these parts.

My friend in sevenoaks who also likes storms (but isn't as knowledgable about them as us on here) just messaged me saying the skies around him have turned black and he's expecting a storm.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Ja'Crispy said:

It appears he may have left the building :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Oh leave William alone, he was harmless. I saw ACCAS mentioned on thew weather today and thought of him :)

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Can we please go back to storm discussion, and not discussion about someone who has decided not to post here for whatever reason?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Might I enquire as to the likelihood of sferics in my area (S. Norfolk) overnight?  My namesake (forecaster with Weatherquest and on local BBC news) suggested overnight storms no further north ot north-eaast than Essex  and the Three Counties, with my area getting in-on the act tomorrow.