Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, NorthernJord said:

Looks like the Manchester storm was the 'North's' last hooraa this year, glad I followed it down the M65 and up to Skipton before it just fizzled and turned to rain. The reading cell is looking superb, just a shame its a near 3 hour drive from me! If it was 2 or less i'd be on the road!

Wouldn't be so sure about that - see what pans out over night?

Posted
6 minutes ago, NorthernJord said:

Looks like the Manchester storm was the 'North's' last hooraa this year, glad I followed it down the M65 and up to Skipton before it just fizzled and turned to rain. The reading cell is looking superb, just a shame its a near 3 hour drive from me! If it was 2 or less i'd be on the road!

Met office warning tonight for us further north

''Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop more widely across central, southern and eastern parts of England during Thursday night and Friday morning, whilst rain spreading from the west may also turn locally heavy and thundery. This all moving eastwards during the course of the day, but not clearing East Anglia until evening. Please be aware of the risk of disruption due to localised flooding and also from lightning strikes.''

Were still in with a shout

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, dave reid said:

Sorted a vehicle so the chase is on. Leaving Bournemouth in 30 mins and thinking I'll head towards Salisbury

Any one got any thoughts to help me out please

How long are you out for? If it were me, I'd head towards Portsmouth and sit tight- watch the radar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Sorted a vehicle so the chase is on. Leaving Bournemouth in 30 mins and thinking I'll head towards Salisbury

Same here, KFC and a storm chase! Good luck, where are you thinking of heading? 

5 minutes ago, P-M said:

Wouldn't be so sure about that - see what pans out over night?

I'd like to be more optimistic but with the fresher air already pushing in from the west and not a cloud in the sky other than the few faint cirrus above the murkyness, I can't see the potential. On Tuesday I landed at Manchester at 3pm and could almost feel the tension in the air leaving the terminal, despite the approach being mostly clear and very smooth!

Edited by NorthernJord

Posted

Don't come up the A338. The traffic is awful at Downton for some roadworks; then further up, the road is shut overnight from 7pm.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

''Heavy showers and thunderstorms are expected to develop more widely across central, southern and eastern parts of England during Thursday night and Friday morning, whilst rain spreading from the west may also turn locally heavy and thundery. This all moving eastwards during the course of the day, but not clearing East Anglia until evening. Please be aware of the risk of disruption due to localised flooding and also from lightning strikes.''

I agree - and looking at the metoffice video the rain falls across the north in some areas looks really intense from the storms formed by the front moving in from the west over night.  As usual we just need to see exactly how this will pan out but I've already booked meself in to work from home tomorrow as I fear a late night tonight!

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, NorthernJord said:

I'd like to be more optimistic but with the fresher air already pushing in from the west and not a cloud in the sky other than the few faint cirrus above the murkyness, I can't see the potential. On Tuesday I landed at 3pm and could almost feel the tension in the air leaving the terminal, despite the approach being mostly clear and very smooth!

It's the fresher air pushing on from the west that will potentially ignite the storms for the north 

Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
4 minutes ago, dave reid said:

I'll be heading out in about an hour, I'm heading for Marlborough A4 near Kenett, it should be a prime spot for night time viewing...If you a chap stood near a VW transporter going "woh, wow!,,,c'mon give it some, show us what you can do!" it'll be me and I'm not dogging lmao

edit...can see the anvil top from my back garden, it's rather large...lol

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Somethings already formed just east of Nottingham on radar

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

also

Still really muggy in Leeds I wouldn't write tonight off once the front hits 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Very ominous skies to the north from here. Have set the camera up (on a tripod on the windowsill, with one of the legs in the kitchen sink) to try and photograph some lightning but currently a bit too light outside. Have seen lots of scud from the base of the storm and it looks like it could be a real show. Haven't seen any lightning yet. 

edit: getting closer, 20 plus cc's in the last 3 mins.

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 1

Posted

Through the haze looks like a new updraught going up on its back edge near north of Basingstoke?

very distant thunder heard but it is moving so slow. Kind of glad really hope it holds this trajectory until dark

Posted
2 minutes ago, jtay said:

Don't come up the A338. The traffic is awful at Downton for some roadworks; then further up, the road is shut overnight from 7pm.

I think this storm is going to pass way north of salisbury. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Through the haze looks like a new updraught going up on its back edge near north of Basingstoke?

very distant thunder heard but it is moving so slow. Kind of glad really hope it holds this trajectory until dark

Good poo?:laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

There's a band of not yet electrified  rain just made landfall near Brighton...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

May be my wishful thinking but that beast seems to be creeping more and more southwards. Would love to get caught in it on my way to the football at St Marys later but looks more likely we're going to get that moderate rubbish moving west in the channel.  Unless of course that intensifies, interesting to watch anyway.

5 minutes ago, P-M said:

It's the fresher air pushing on from the west that will potentially ignite the storms for the north 

I will be keeping my eyes peeled to the radar all evening, and will see what happens :)

On another note, seem s crazy how different the trajectory of the storm to the NE of Heathrow took than what the reading beast is taking. One was NW and the other is almost 90* heading WSW

• Like 1

Posted

Mid-level convection getting underway here in the Peaks with a nice orangey-hue to the mist as the sun is setting. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Good poo?:laugh:

I couldn't go I was too excited! Haha

booming thunder in the distance now. Sounds like mortar fire!

• Like 1