IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather

Come to sunny Swindon!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
12 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

I think it's to do with errors in the triangulation from different sferic detection centres.....................on a side note, the storm just to the east of Reading is certainly a pokey little number, it's lit up like a christmas tree!

I've often wondered what would the software do when two (or more) strokes occur at the same time: does it simply average the two (or more) and report a strike, in the middle of nowhere?:cc_confused:

3 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

I have a cracking view of the cell that's working it's way toward Reading. Hearing lots of distant deep rumbles of the thunder. Feels like the whole anvil is almost on top of us.

anvilstructure.jpg

That would look awesome lit up with lightning at night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

If the Reading cell stays on its current trajectory, it may hit me by next Thursday. 

In all seriousness, as Chris said above, I'm a little too far west for this one. 

Roll on the famous winter blizzard of 2017!

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, ancientsolar said:

South East Wales... just getting darker.. with only the upper layer of clouds seemingly moving slowly NW .. the lower darker shades just seem to be intensifying.. very very stormy look to the sky.. despite it only being partly covered .. but each time I go back.. there seems to be thicker clouds

Yes indeed same here as well ' look's quite promising (fingers crossed) brb with an update soon ' need a Poo .

Posted
Just now, A Frayed Knot said:

Yes indeed same here as well ' look's quite promising (fingers crossed) brb with an update soon ' need a Poo .

everything you said.. gave me hope.. and adrenaline.. and then you needed a poo :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I am so envious! "Wake me up when September ends" as the song goes. I've been ill all day - just the usual rubbish - back on meds. but feeling a lot better. Just clear blue skies here, but some convective attempts toward Creuse.

Posted

That Reading cell is about 12 miles from me and I can't hear or see anything just yet! Sitting out in my garden and it's starting to go a bit dark, but still doesn't feel terribly threatening. Also, looking at the trajectory of that cell...seems to be going WSW in which case it'll miss be by a whisker :wallbash:

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

That Reading cell is about 12 miles from me and I can't hear or see anything just yet! Sitting out in my garden and it's starting to go a bit dark, but still doesn't feel terribly threatening. Also, looking at the trajectory of that cell...seems to be going WSW in which case it'll miss be by a whisker :wallbash:

You could probably walk and intercept it with the speed it's going!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

We have mamatus! Are they severe? 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Wet'n'Dry said:

Wow that's a beauty!!

I have no clue what kind of cloud that was / is but I dont remember seeing anything like this before with such a defined curve, whats going on with the sky? I used to hate and be scared of storms till i fllowed sites like this and others that show which direction the storms are going, anything thats the unknown worries me lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, AWD said:

If the Reading cell stays on its current trajectory, it may hit me by next Thursday. 

In all seriousness, as Chris said above, I'm a little too far west for this one. 

Roll on the famous winter blizzard of 2017!

If it keeps coming this way we may be in for a 10th May 2006 jobby.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
2 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

We have mamatus! Are they severe? 

image.jpeg

Love em - me favourite type of clouds

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

I have no clue what kind of cloud that was / is but I dont remember seeing anything like this before with such a defined curve, whats going on with the sky? I used to hate and be scared of storms till i fllowed sites like this and others that show which direction the storms are going, anything thats the unknown worries me lol.

Cumulonimbus, classic storm cloud and your shot captures the Anvil (so called because of its shape) as it spreads outwards at the top, superb!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

and what exactly is driving that storm down the M4?  a 95 year old stuck in first gear??.......forget the met office, the AA and rac will be putting out warning for a very slow abnormal load on the m4 soon!

• Like 9

Posted

That rain has just started here out of no where just big drops falling and that great cloud with the clear curve has gone but I'm still getting some great time lapse from the other cloud thats still hanging on, thunder has stopped for now glad I got those shots while the moment lasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, WeatherWatchmanG said:

I havent been that active on here but the shots I've got just amazing I dont think I've seen anything like this with the sun poruing down and so much happening above my location, west london here ready to also record my first time lapse.

making use of my nikon l340 not a single drop of rain just lots of thunder and some great skies above.

DSCN1593.JPG

DSCN1597.JPG

That's exactly what I was getting glimpses of on the train - almost (but not quite) has a mothership appearance to it. Beautiful - so glad I've got to see some awesome convection out of this - fingers crossed for later! Who the hell knows what to expect...gorgeous pics btw