Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
19 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Storm that was over Coventry has died as quickly as it went up.

Gordon complained.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a few posts claiming surprise that a few isolated cells have fired over the west midlands......I'm surprised that you're surprised as they've been widely forecasted on the various UK weather forums.....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Ahhhh so we have had the cap erode in places in the last hour or so....I did think yesterday it was a possibility but as Mapantz said, no hi res model was keen to break out any precipitation. GFS won today I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Looking to my north, looks like a couple of anvils, but nothing on the radar. I think it must be bad cloud placement. But it does look stormy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
7 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

Gordon;

The bird on BBC East Midlands 7pm Weather said "Thursday overnight into Friday morning a line of torrential thunderstorms will cross the country from west to east" "The morning commute could be really messy!"

having lived in the midlands for several years, I can vouch that the morning commute is very messy regardless of the weather....lol

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

a few posts claiming surprise that a few isolated cells have fired over the west midlands......I'm surprised that you're surprised as they've been widely forecasted on the various UK weather forums.....

Including the BBC forecasts, which mentioned the slight risk that thunderstorms could develop across the N Midlands and push towards NW England and N Wales. Pretty spot on i'd say.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Ahhhh so we have had the cap erode in places in the last hour or so....I did think yesterday it was a possibility but as Mapantz said, no hi res model was keen to break out any precipitation. GFS won today I think.

not true CC, in fact, if anything, Netweather's in house hi-res NMM overplayed ppn this afternoon/evening

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
10 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I can so the tops of the Midlands storms from Shardlow near Derby

20160914_190328_zpsdqwgp93f.jpg

The Met office really hasn't done very well this last few days.!!

This was commented earlier, how have the Met Office not done well?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, ajpoolshark said:

not true CC, in fact, if anything, Netweather's in house hi-res NMM overplayed ppn this afternoon/evening

NMM is GFS based though is it not Arron? I was more on about the Euro models.

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

NMM is GFS based though is it not Arron? I was more on about the Euro models.

you said "no hi-res" model.....NMM is hi-res so not really sure what your point is to be honest mate

• Like 2

Posted

Pulse-cells, intense for the brief moments when they crop up but frustratingly short-lived for chasers.

On that note, some new development south of Derby currently showing on radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

20160914_192143_zps4u1rwzhw.jpg

Better shot of the Brum to the right and Cov to the left cells.

Moving a boat so trees in the way...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

12z Euro4 intetesting for the West Country & surrounding counties tomorrow afternoon & evening;

16091518_1412.gif16091521_1412.gif16091600_1412.gif

Not as widespread as other models though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Looks like it

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I've just been going through my phones photos from yesterday. Apart from the two oversized bras on next door's washing, this popped up:

SavedImage_20160913_111258_19.jpg

Finally got one!!

definitely a storm in a D-Cup.....lol

• Like 4

Posted

The cloud photos I posted earlier, I asked if this was early erosion of the "cap" if it was, and the resulting "popcorn" storm developed rapidly, spat out a few strikes, and the died!! Is this a case of the "cap" 're-asserting itself? Bit like an elastic band twanging back after being stretched?

Edited by Speedway Slider
Spelling mistake..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
21 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I'm eyeing up those French cells. This could be that overnight convective potential I've heard mentioned

Yes, storms erupting in France south of Paris and moving NW. Though I'm inclined to think it'll be tomorrow that may see anything rather than overnight?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

My local BBC forecast this evening suggested that tomorrow would see a line of storms forming around Reading to Banbury area and moving North West into the Midlands before turning round and going East!

Some interesting potential

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Ok,here is a taster of things to come,i currently have five more clips uploading at present and they get better and better,i will try and get them finished for tonight:D

part 1,the storm approaching from the SW,not much thunder though as i think the hail core noise was dampening the ambience,you can here the roar of the hail at some point

part 2,i went to the back of the house and was much better viewing the back of the storm,now that the hail core has moved through you can here the thunder,it gets better at the end of the clip

enjoy:)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Another video, showing the frequency of the lightning. Not much thunder unfortunately - but I don't remember the last time I saw a storm with such frequent lightning. The approach was amazing - how it got so dark so quickly, the wind picked up, it got noticeably cooler, and the lightning was all over the southern and western horizons.. and some cracking CG strikes. For once, we were also under the heaviest rain - in recent storms we have tended to be on the edge of the core.

Me and a friend were sitting at the window watching it approach - we were going to Sainsbury's but decided against it. I said 'Oh it probably won't come over here anyway they never do', but my friend said 'Nah I think it will'.. guess we made the right choice, lol. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3