Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, carl1980 said:

Watching this now it's like a fog rolling in strange 

May be it was in flow, storms sometimes suck the air around them in. If that air is moist it will often form cloud, which is normally referred to as scud.

Posted
5 hours ago, Darren Bown said:

What makes it weird is it's all coming out of the storm.

Ah out flow then, it was probably quite windy when it went through. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

A fantastic storm this evening. We've had a fairly storm free year in Stoke but I've not seen a storm on this scale since I was a child. Over an hour of constant thunder, lightning and flooding rains. The rain eased off at one point like someone turned a tap off and then suddenly it got even worse before some overheard strikes went boom. 

Witnessed some interesting clouds as well, it looked like they were back-building for a while right above. I chased the back end of the storm into the Staffs Moorlands but had to abandon the chase due to the flooding. The run-off from fields was just insane and the roads littered with debris. Managed to get to a high spot with the sun-setting to the west and the sky black as night to the north with some great lightning strikes across the sky. I've never chased before as most storms are so small in size that it seems impossible to follow but this was so long-lived and wide you could barely miss it. Seeing it roll over the Peak District in the distance was impressive. There was a real eerie wind as well on the back edge. Pictures/video to follow.

• Like 8

Posted
3 hours ago, ChezWeather said:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/video-tornado-touches-down-in-sheffield-as-thunderstorms-rage-across-city-1-8123399

Reports of a tornado in Sheffield

The video is pretty poor quality so cant really make out if it was a tornado or not, have a look folks 

Doesn't look conclusive enough to be a tornado, from where I am near Buxton there was plenty of scud around but no surface-based rotation seen other than outflow/inflow from the storm itself. The storm-structure itself was too full of shear to have produced anything that side of the cell and the way how it develops on the video looks to my eyes to be more a bank of scud-inflow giving the impression of a tornado.

Posted
4 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Doesn't look conclusive enough to be a tornado, from where I am near Buxton there was plenty of scud around but no surface-based rotation seen other than outflow/inflow from the storm itself. The storm-structure itself was too full of shear to have produced anything that side of the cell and the way how it develops on the video looks to my eyes to be more a bank of scud-inflow giving the impression of a tornado.

Personally the area looked quite big, think we would of heard about some major damage even if it was to just tree's and hedgerows by now if it was one. So I find it unlikely, guess we'll find out tomorrow at some point.

• Like 1

Posted

Editing the video-speed there's no definitive rotation to that area specifically, what is noticeable though is that the scud develops over the brow of the hill just where the woodland is. From experience this is typically where scud would form as the moisture near ground-level is being injected into the cell above.

• Like 2

Posted

Happened to wake up and can see frequent faint flickers every couple of seconds from those cells west of Cherbourg! 

Wonder if it's worth going to a high vantage point overlooking the sea soon.

I'm even sure I heard very faint thunder, that unmistakable low boom I've heard from storms almost as far but not quite that far.

Edit, even more frequent and a touch brighter, like every second atm! annoyingly there's some lower level cloud creeping in the way.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Watching the Looe webcam (www. camsecure.co.uk/looe_island.html) you can see this storm has become incredibly prolific.

seems that nobody has noticed though :-/

or maybe it's just because everyone had a storm today except me. Oh well.

it looks awesome, and very elevated!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
16 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Watching the Looe webcam (www. camsecure.co.uk/looe_island.html) you can see this storm has become incredibly prolific.

Don't worry mate, I have become so accustomed to not having a storm that I do no frequently check this website like I used to because I know I am not that lucky. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Epic storm here kicking off! Lightning every  couple of seconds! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Moving through quick but round 2 is here. All IC lightning as far as I'm aware but quite a lot of it. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Wow, what a day for some yesterday. It was the hottest day of the year and there were some potent storms for a few of us.

I went out chasing yesterday. I began by travelling NW to where the thunderstorms looked most likely to occur. As I was travelling NW there were numerous storms occurring over SW England and Wales but these were too far away for me to reach. I ended up near to Wrexham and it seemed like storms were gradually making there way north and west towards me but were dying as they did. Temperatures were only around 19-20c and it there were constant streams of light to moderate rain showers passing over. This led me to believe I may be sitting in the wrong place.

So, I decided to head back towards home and as I did a raft of storms developed in and around Birmingham and the West Midlands. It looked a big mass of rain on the radar but with some little pockets of lightning within it. I was near to Crewe by this point and so decided to stop near to Winsford as it seemed likely to be in the firing line. I was concerned how I would be able to film the storm considering it seemed to be completely surrounded by rain but I was able to get out at this point and survey the skies above. My observation was that I wasn't hearing any thunder but the clouds were black to the south and it became very dark as the rain started. I couldn't believe how dark it was but with no lightning observed. There may have been distant thunder at this point but I would not hear it as I was in the car sheltering the rain. It was not even 5pm but it looked like dusk.

Soon after this I saw my first lightning flash. I was now near Warmingham and was travelling east as it looked like the storms were organising into an MCS, but that the main thrust would pass east of my location. The rain was torrential now and there were numerous flashes of lightning overhead. I wanted to get out of the car and film but in that rain it would not have been possible. I stopped near to Brereton and filmed out of the window as the western portion of the MCS was moving over me. Again I was stuck in the car as the rain hammered down outside. Eventually there was a lull in the rain but the lightning became more frequent. I was surprised at just how frequent the lightning became, lighting up the sky all around me. I was now able to stand outside the car as the rain had weakened somewhat I could hear the constant growl of thunder. This was clearly an elevated storm. I was witnessing almost constant thunder, but it was strange in that most of it was overhead but not very loud.  Most of the lightning was quite feint up in the sky above me but every few seconds there would be a very bright and vivid flash with stronger thunder. However, out of hundreds of flashes I only observed three CG's, and I don't think I caught any on camera.

After filming for a while I could see on the radar the storm had gone mad over the Peak District. I decided to head east and chase it, but that is where things went wrong. Trying to get through Congleton (my only route east from where I was) proved to be difficult. As the lightning flashed away overhead I sat in a non moving traffic jam. Soon the lightning was not flashing overhead but to my north east. There were now a few visible IC crawlers and the odd CG too but I was unable to catch the storm. By the time I got through Congleton the storm was a way to my northeast. I tried to chase it towards Macclesfield but it was too late, I had to be satisfied with a distant disco of lightning which gradually faded away. Road conditions were terrible too with lots of flooding!

A good day chasing for me I think. I would have preferred to have been able to get more footage ahead of the storm as it rolled in but where I was the storms were wrapped with rain. It was almost like an area of thundery rain but with that MCS at its back edge. I am happy I got to witness it though, I saw a lot more than I would have seen if I had stayed put in Derby. My town is still void of overhead storms in 2016, although some forecasts are predicting tomorrow evening and night could produce something over my area.... we shall see!

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lots of branches and debris on the back lanes round here this morning. And another shot of the storm approaching last night.

20160914_071316.jpg

20160913_183406_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Haha, yeah I also saw this in the night too when I woke up. Looking at the radar it skirted a fair bit south of here, but the amount of flashes was incredible and the colours were stunning! Never seen anything like it before. Didn't hear any thunder though but I won't complain!

Posted
8 minutes ago, Super_Uwe said:

Haha, yeah I also saw this in the night too when I woke up. Looking at the radar it skirted a fair bit south of here, but the amount of flashes was incredible and the colours were stunning! Never seen anything like it before. Didn't hear any thunder though but I won't complain!

It really was a great storm here. Very frequent lightning. Not much thunder but then it was an elevated storm. A great sight to watch. Far more sferics than shown on the detectors. I was also seeing lightning well after the core of the cells had moved into the Atlantic north of Perranporth, Newquay and Portreath. :D

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Had a drive up to the tops last night, and could see everything looking towards Sheffield and westwards and northwards across the hills, and there was loads of scud about that looked like what is in the video

Other than that some great bolts of lightening on view

Posted

We had two rather angry-looking storms move right over the top of us, but strangely neither made much noise at all, despite the fact that the radar showed dozens of cg strikes at and around my location. I hardly heard a peep out of either. The rain was impressive though!