Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

People surprised by the storms intensities?

I am still sat on a train melting like a snow cone in Phoenix (pop quiz - - what film is that from!!??) thanks to the inevitable chaos caused by the immense heat! Absolutely steaming down here which in mid September which much fresher air masses trying to establish from the west is only going to result one way...rampant storms. I suspect in these will not be the last storms in the next few days, albeit my odds here in the SE remaining low. 

Large cluster of storms rampaging North across France so will be interesting where they head and if they maintain puff to reach our shores. 

Envious of the great pics and vids emerging - enjoy guys, stay safe!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
3 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Standard but that's because it's too far away at the mo, radar looking good 

Problem is though from the radar it looks like it's losing its intensity now - it's on a near perfect track to hit it's sods law lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That was an EPIC storm and still flashing away to the north,it matched that one early July last year when i was on woodhead but my battery on the cam was flat,this made up for it big time

i have a busy time of it uploading several clips and searching the numerous stills from hundreds of lightning strikes,i will upload probably tomorrow now as it is getting a bit late(up at 5am)

it's been a long wait for this spectacle and will be memorable,aaarrrhhh!!!:yahoo::D

• Like 3

Posted

Just been reading an interesting article further to a conversation I had with a friend in the west coast of France a few hours earlier who alerted me to this discussion amongst himself and fellow weather followers in France, what do people make of this? (it is in french but i should have posted the google translate version). The probabilities are slim but interesting enough just that it is being discussed by a few meteorologists!
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keraunos.org%2Factualites%2Ffil-infos%2F2016%2Fseptembre%2Ftempete-subtropicale-golfe-de-gascogne-aquitaine-14-15-septembre-2016

Edited by Rob Walker
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
6 minutes ago, P-M said:

Problem is though from the radar it looks like it's losing its intensity now - it's on a near perfect track to hit it's sods law lol

Should be still decent though and it's a night storm 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Yeah - It's been a good day for many across the UK, who love storms. I finally managed a direct hit mid-morning, I'd have taken one in the dark though! 
Not surprisingly, I missed out on any heat today, temperatures were very suppressed, but i'd take a storm over that anyway. It does look likely that we'll get some heat anyway - warmer tomorrow, warmer still on Thursday, with another possibility of storms for some as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Well done to everyone who has seen storms today.Some impressive rain and lightning totals too.I live just north of Derby and again have missed out on the action.Here are 2 charts with lightning strikes from 27th August and today,with the usual gap over Derby.Oh well I guess there's a slim chance for tomorrow!!.image.pngimage.png

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
2 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Should be still decent though and it's a night storm 

This is true - how's it looking from Darlo now?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Rob Walker said:

Just been reading an interesting article further to a conversation I had with a friend in the west coast of France a few hours earlier who alerted me to this discussion amongst himself and fellow weather followers in France, what do people make of this? (it is in french but i should have posted the google translate version). The probabilities are slim but interesting enough just that it is being discussed by a few meteorologists!
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keraunos.org%2Factualites%2Ffil-infos%2F2016%2Fseptembre%2Ftempete-subtropicale-golfe-de-gascogne-aquitaine-14-15-septembre-2016

Heading down that way to arrive near Angouleme on Thursday lunchtime and there have been suggestions of a very small but potent low pressure area for some time. Interestingly there was something very similar in August last year that caused quite a bit of damage inland. Certainly violent storms there at present.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Still the same mate everything seems far off no thunder yet 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Nothing of interest storm wise for us here but I'm also looking at North West France wondering if the mass of storms could head into southern England 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
2 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Heading down that way to arrive near Angouleme on Thursday lunchtime and there have been suggestions of a very small but potent low pressure area for some time. Interestingly there was something very similar in August last year that caused quite a bit of damage inland. Certainly violent storms there at present.

The rate our summer is going I would expect a 'Medicane' scenario to produce intense thunderstorms widely across ... the Shetlands

:laugh:

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 2

Well that was the most incredible storm! Only had to drive half an hour to the Peaks for a good view and boy did it deliver! Insane lightning, thunder, rain, hail, winds passing right overhead. Plenty of people spectating as the storm cleared, too. What an evening! :yahoo: Now to sort through piccies and video :D

Posted

Ay up,a couple of cells have fired up,one nr Chester and one rapid development SW of stoke on Trent,also one maybe going up nr Telford.

Posted

i take back what what I said earlier about the storms dying as they hit the north west ,  they pepped up ,  skirted with the manchester storm here, but i drove down the A6 and parked up in swinton area, dont usually do chases but  OMG the lightning was insane,  explosive CG dropping all around , I was worried about being to close to a tree and promptly moved, this almost equalled the big storm at the begining of july last year ,  but this seemed to have more cg type strikes,  so was better in that respect,   excellent storm     

Edited by IanR
  • Like 2

Posted

Wind has picked up big time 

Posted
2 minutes ago, IanR said:

i take back what what I said earlier about the storms dying as they hit the north west ,  they pepped up ,  skirted with the manchester storm here, but i drove down the A6 and parked up in swinton area, dont usually do chases but  OMG the lightning was insane,  explosive CG dropping all around , I was worried about being to close to a tree and promptly moved, this almost equalled the big storm at the begining of july last year ,  but this seemed to have more cg type strikes,  so was better in that respect,   excellent storm     

I am glad for you that you intercepted it,i decided to stay at home but i would have had a better view up woodhead,still a spectacular show though.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
22 minutes ago, Rob Walker said:

you've got to just love google translating this article which gives such endearing terms as 'digging' storms with 'warm hearts' which at the the same time are 'virulent'....lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Y'all got flooding up North and here I am sweating my tits off with a fan blowing.

• Like 4

Posted

Are you seeing owt yet Boro Snow?

Edited by Allseasons-si