Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Strange isn't it, was all meant to converge around NW England from what (admittedly little) I've seen today. Literally as soon as the precipitation reaches N Shrops/Cheshire it dies a death. One storm did initiate around Stoke though and push up into the E of Manchester.

The BBC seem to be struggling to predict this evening now too. They don't seem to have recognised the heavy rain in the Midlands, and most of the storm activity diminishes by about 7pm on the forecast I saw at 4:30pm. Very odd and I would like to know what changed, as the CAPE and LIs were good for central and northern areas, and moisture was available!

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Strange isn't it, was all meant to converge around NW England from what (admittedly little) I've seen today. Literally as soon as the precipitation reaches N Shrops/Cheshire it dies a death. One storm did initiate around Stoke though and push up into the E of Manchester.

I'm just hoping that this area of storms/thundery rain currently over west midlands really ignites as it moves into north west england/ west yorkshire?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Watching that storm over Stratford upon Avon , will it make it up here , will it be defeated by the West Mids storm shield or will it do the usual and make a right turn to head up over Nuneaton towards Leicester ??

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

I'm just hoping that this area of storms/thundery rain currently over west midlands really ignites as it moves into north west england/ west yorkshire?

At the moment, the lightning activity has slowed. I really don't know what to think now!

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

The BBC seem to be struggling to predict this evening now too. They don't seem to have recognised the heavy rain in the Midlands, and most of the storm activity diminishes by about 7pm on the forecast I saw at 4:30pm. Very odd and I would like to know what changed, as the CAPE and LIs were good for central and northern areas, and moisture was available!

I'm watching the cloud approach from the SW now....looks deeply unstable, like a mothership on its leading edge. However, radar suggests it's dying.

Posted

Lovely day of quite placid storms..nice and close and intense rain..I say placid because they were the calm and stillness storms not gusty winds..still very nice and colourful lightening 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

And the wait from 25th June continues. It's tomorrow or bust for 2016 here I reckon. It's sunny and 30C

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

We can dream 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Big flash just , deep booming rattle the windows type thunder

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I'm watching the cloud approach from the SW now....looks deeply unstable, like a mothership on its leading edge. However, radar suggests it's dying.

Judging from earlier forecasts, it SHOULD be intesifying as it hits the higher energy up here. Something isn't right lol.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Darren Bown said:

Judging from earlier forecasts, it SHOULD be intesifying as it hits the higher energy up here. Something isn't right lol.

It never is lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Why is there a weather warning for north east England I cannot see anything happening

Posted

Thunder or no thunder, we're about to get a drenching by the looks of it.

It's pitch black!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Another day and evening of frustration coming up. Maybe able to wave at the lightning in the distance.

Posted
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

At least we have plenty going on at an early stage. My biggest fear this morning was it still being 5pm and not a single sferic, waiting for something to pop up out of the blue is like watching paint dry lol.

• Like 1

Posted
42 minutes ago, SalopWatcher said:

WOW! Just had a second round of storms... over head storm, strikes within the town... pretty instant thunder.... amazing 

That passed us by to the east sounded impressive even here,saw 1 bolt of lightning to the south of the main black cloud.

Posted

Any one else think that it's promising that the storm near birmingham has a window of clear sky directly north of it (can't coppy sat24 pic sorry) so it really does have the space to grow or something else to develop! 

Posted

The precip heading up from Shropshire seems to be intensifying but electrical activity struggling to get further north than stoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Overhead lightning! BOOOM!!!