Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 02/09/16 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well, that was fun!!!! 

Loads of lightning (a lot of which was intra-cloud), booming thunder and some BIG forks.  Stopped filming moments before a giant positive CG almost wiped me out LOL!

All preceded by a field of ACs and the most beautiful thundery sky you could hope to see.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, Luke Best said:

Well, that was fun!!!! 

Loads of lightning (a lot of which was intra-cloud), booming thunder and some BIG forks.  Stopped filming moments before a giant positive CG almost wiped me out LOL!

All preceded by a field of ACs and the most beautiful thundery sky you could hope to see.

I've had a fair few side scrapes from storms on the past few years, but that was definitely the best one since July 2005 for me. If it had been nighttime, that would have been magnificent!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Got my eye on that one over the Bournemouth region. Quite concerned about this one. Watch out for this corker maybe rooting beneath the boundary layer in a short while. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I do not understand the met warning that was issued at 9.38am covering my region when looking at other warnings including Nicks we are not included, have the Met O totally got this wrong then 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Mapantz said:

I've had a fair few side scrapes from storms on the past few years, but that was definitely the best one since July 2005 for me. If it had been nighttime, that would have been magnificent!

We've side scraped this one. Just had a few minutes of heavy rain but looks to be clearing now.

Posted
42 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Amazing show here!

Lightning flowing across the skies.

20160913_110721_HDR.jpg

Mapantz, further to my post about ground strikes.... When you have lightning like in your video screen grab, do all fork lightning/straight down stuff hit something? Building/tree/pole/pylon? Or do some not make it to ground? 

Attached my post to wrong picture somehow!! Its meant to be attached to the screen grab of the straight down lightning bolt!! Don't know how this happened, defo had the right one when I wrote this post!!

Edited by Speedway Slider
Explain mistake..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Am sure I just heard thunder. Must be from the lot to the south (very dark that way), or maybe the west. Not sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

Am sure I just heard thunder. Must be from the lot to the south (very dark that way), or maybe the west. Not sure.

Pretty sure I did too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sun blue skies no humidity or storms

OMG the power just went off and then back on immediately... dont know if it was lightning but it really scared me, coz it was a huge flash as everything went off now we have hailstones

Posted
2 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

Mapantz, further to my post about ground strikes.... When you have lightning like in your video screen grab, do all fork lightning/straight down stuff hit something? Building/tree/pole/pylon? Or do some not make it to ground? 

Cloud-ground strokes will always hit an object/ground, hence the name. Ones that don't make it down to the ground will be crawlers and intracloud lightning. The evidence left behind will be down to how powerful the bolt of lightning was. Positive CG's are rarer, but carry a lot more power, negative CG's in a storm are more common, and will hit plenty of objects without leaving any visible evidence.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Michellelovescats said:

OMG the power just went off and then back on immediately... dont know if it was lightning but it really scared me, coz it was a huge flash as everything went off now we have hailstones

I've just had the same here, but the storm has passed North now.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Cloud-ground strokes will always hit an object/ground, hence the name. Ones that don't make it down to the ground will be crawlers and intracloud lightning. The evidence left behind will be down to how powerful the bolt of lightning was. Positive CG's are rarer, but carry a lot more power, negative CG's in a storm are more common, and will hit plenty of objects without leaving any visible evidence.

Thanks Mapantz, how's it looking out there now....?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Good few rumbles here on west mendip ,but real action seemed to be 3 or 4 miles further west .

Another cell brewing to my south which could be a bit more potent but shorter lived ,would have been nice during the night ,lost internet for a while ,probably owing to some very large rainfall totalls somewhere local ,here we go again a very bright flash  best of luck all .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 minute ago, ChezWeather said:

Looks like i will be too far east today, same old story from this year, everything going either side of us 

Wouldn't discount it yet bud. Many more storms are firing from this one all the way down to the Pyrenees!! This is what proper plumes are like mate. That Bournemouth one could yet trigger a cell to the east of it yet as the suspected outflow converges with the backing SE flow :)

• Like 3

Posted

Just had a rumble of thunder 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yep big large cg closeby and instant rolling thunder. It's happening!

Posted

Can hear constant booms in distance now 

Posted

I always like to look at my graphs during a storm, the pressure dropped by over 5hPa in 30 minutes during that event.

2016-09-13 (4).png

• Like 1