Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st September 2016 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

Completely naf afternoon here in Hertfordshire. Cloudy, cool, dark and it's been raining since 1pm. 

To think that some folk have been wishing for this weather during the fine spells of August all because of a bit of yellow grass and not being bothered to use a watering can, to give their flowers a drink = each to their own! 

Clearly 6 months of cold rain and dark isn't enough. 

Thank god the sun is back tomorrow - temps up in the low 20's 

We only get three months of winter these days and even that is more like autumn than winter:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
13 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

We only get three months of winter these days and even that is more like autumn than winter:rofl:

Regardless, we still get 6-8 months of cold wet dark weather be it Autumn or winter! 

Never understood the methodology of wishing away fine dry summer weather in the UK. Completely bizarre to me 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Regardless, we still get 6-8 months of cold wet dark weather be it Autumn or winter! 

Never understood the methodology of wishing away fine dry summer weather in the UK. Completely bizarre to me 

October and November are hardly ever cold, just gets dark early:pardon:

Posted
10 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

October and November are hardly ever cold, just gets dark early:pardon:

Well they are not warm or sunny either. If it isn't cold and wet then it's cool and wet. 

My original point was - why on earth do I read some folk on this thread wishing dry summer weather away because of yellow grass when it rains the majority of the time anyway in Autumn and winter. Crazy.. This is the UK. Embrace dry weather.. It doesn't happen often! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well the weather was reasonable until around 4ish, the temperature did reach 21C for a time. We have had a couple of hours of steady rain which seems to be clearing now.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Well they are not warm or sunny either. If it isn't cold and wet then it's cool and wet. 

My original point was - why on earth do I read some folk on this thread wishing dry summer weather away because of yellow grass when it rains the majority of the time anyway in Autumn and winter. Crazy.. This is the UK. Embrace dry weather.. It doesn't happen often! 

Summer returning next week

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Well no rain has been through here as yet, not even that light blue bit. Was just cloud here. I'm wondering what that heavy stuff to the west will have left when it get's here.

3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

It just goes to show you how bad those accumulation maps can be, i've had over double what that map shows in the last 45 minutes. It absolutely hammered down!

Thanks for your comments guys. On this occasion I think the high res models struggled. But hey ho, that's the weather for you!

Looking at the latest radar, Arpege was certainly out with it's timing for today's rain - it came through much earlier than this model suggested, so a disappointing performance there (especially as I rate this model).

And GFS high res was out with the 'how much and where', but as rainfall is notoriously difficult to pin down, maybe not as 'guilty' as Arpege? For my location GFS looking almost spot on with 4mm of rain recorded against a forecast of 4mm. But for Mapantz on the south coast, the Isle of Portland just up the road has recorded 14mm against a forecast of 3mm.

Anyway, it's all good fun and not to be taken seriously! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Summer returning next week

I'm so happy. 

Today was a warmer taster of what to expect this coming winter. Mild and wet. 

Fingers crossed it stays dry and on the warmer side well into October. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thanks for your comments guys. On this occasion I think the high res models struggled. But hey ho, that's the weather for you!

Looking at the latest radar, Arpege was certainly out with it's timing for today's rain - it came through much earlier than this model suggested, so a disappointing performance there (especially as I rate this model).

And GFS high res was out with the 'how much and where', but as rainfall is notoriously difficult to pin down, maybe not as 'guilty' as Arpege? For my location GFS looking almost spot on with 4mm of rain recorded against a forecast of 4mm. But for Mapantz on the south coast, the Isle of Portland just up the road has recorded 14mm against a forecast of 3mm.

Anyway, it's all good fun and not to be taken seriously! :laugh:

Have had lot's of proper rain now, but nothing close to needing a met warning yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 hours ago, Ben Lewis said:

That's true. Rained quite heavily here in the end yesterday. Don't mind a bit of rain in summer as often I can't get to my allotments frequently enough to water but this year seems to have had all the crap weather at weekends. On cue, the warmth and sun to return on a weekday this week. Not a major issue for me as my work isn't Mon-Fri but must be frustrating!

9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

That's true. Rained quite heavily here in the end yesterday. Don't mind a bit of rain in summer as often I can't get to my allotments frequently enough to water but this year seems to have had all the crap weather at weekends. On cue, the warmth and sun to return on a weekday this week. Not a major issue for me as my work isn't Mon-Fri but must be frustrating!

Today should be a good day, sun is out here and the cloud beginning to break up.

BBQ later as mum has her mates round... I will no doubt be cooking 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Today should be a good day, sun is out here and the cloud beginning to break up.

BBQ later as mum has her mates round... I will no doubt be cooking 

Yes looks better today, hopefully dry enough for a walk and quick pub-stop :) And a BBQ of course. The coming week looks lovely! I'm not working 'til Thursday too. Looks like it could get very unsettled after next weekend....Autumn blasting in?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Mostly cloudy up here today with very little sunshine and a persistent supply of low cloud. The temperature has still reached 21C despite a fairly stiff north westerly wind.

Posted

So the weather for this week;

Monday

ECM1-24.GIF?04-0   nmmuk-0-25-0.png?04-20

A light south westerly breeze, most areas should start dry and sunny, a warm front will push eastwards bringing increasing amounts of cloud. It should stay dry for all areas.

Temperatures - 21-24C

Tuesday

ECM1-48.GIF?04-0   arpegeuk-41-51-0.png?04-18

A light south westerly wind, this is a little complex as there will be a lot of cloud around to start the day, this should slowly break to leave some sunshine and it will become very warm and humid wherever we see the cloud break.

Temperatures - 23-27C

Wednesday

ECM1-72.GIF?04-0   arpegeuk-41-75-0.png?04-18

A light southerly wind, drier air will move into our region which will help to develop some decent sunny spells, this will allow temperatures to rise.

Temperatures - 25-28C, cooler on the coasts.

Thursday

ECM1-96.GIF?04-0    arpegeuk-41-97-0.png?04-18

A strengthening wind from the south west, a cold front will be steadily moving eastwards, though I suspect our region will remain dry until the evening.

Temperatures - 23-28C, it all depends on the timing of the front.

Friday

ECM1-120.GIF?04-0

A moderate to fresh south westerly wind, a fresher day today with sunny spells with just a couple of showers. 

Temperatures - cooler but still above normal, 20-23C.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
1 hour ago, Surrey said:

Well this morning is grim, should clear up 

Yes, same here Surrey. Looking at last evening's forecasts, this was meant to have fizzled out before getting as far east as me, but it's been light rain this last hour. But as you say, it should clear through this morning and then it's all 'getting better' as the week progresses. From Wed to Fri looking fab-u-lous!

• Like 1

Posted

BBC TV forecast yesterday evening = Rain will not make it to eastern areas and fizzle out by the time it reaches Oxfordshire

Reality = Soaking wet this morning here in Herts on the dog walk, rained since early hours and still raining outside now with PPN making it all the way over to Lincolnshire and East Anglia

Diabolical that the Beeb cant even get a basic weather forecast correct 9 hours away. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Yes, same here Surrey. Looking at last evening's forecasts, this was meant to have fizzled out before getting as far east as me, but it's been light rain this last hour. But as you say, it should clear through this morning and then it's all 'getting better' as the week progresses. From Wed to Fri looking fab-u-lous!

Hi Malcolm. I am back in the land of cloud and mists ( Skipton ) Not bad this morning, mild and dry . Should join in with the SE for a nice Wednesday, looks like a nice warm sunny mellow September day. Going to Old Trafford to watch the last T20 cricket match against Pakistan. Should be a nice evening for the game.

C 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
14 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

So the weather for this week;

Monday

ECM1-24.GIF?04-0   nmmuk-0-25-0.png?04-20

A light south westerly breeze, most areas should start dry and sunny, a warm front will push eastwards bringing increasing amounts of cloud. It should stay dry for all areas.

Temperatures - 21-24C

Tuesday

ECM1-48.GIF?04-0   arpegeuk-41-51-0.png?04-18

A light south westerly wind, this is a little complex as there will be a lot of cloud around to start the day, this should slowly break to leave some sunshine and it will become very warm and humid wherever we see the cloud break.

Temperatures - 23-27C

Wednesday

ECM1-72.GIF?04-0   arpegeuk-41-75-0.png?04-18

A light southerly wind, drier air will move into our region which will help to develop some decent sunny spells, this will allow temperatures to rise.

Temperatures - 25-28C, cooler on the coasts.

Thursday

ECM1-96.GIF?04-0    arpegeuk-41-97-0.png?04-18

A strengthening wind from the south west, a cold front will be steadily moving eastwards, though I suspect our region will remain dry until the evening.

Temperatures - 23-28C, it all depends on the timing of the front.

Friday

ECM1-120.GIF?04-0

A moderate to fresh south westerly wind, a fresher day today with sunny spells with just a couple of showers. 

Temperatures - cooler but still above normal, 20-23C.

Just goes to show, weather make fools of us all lol, less than 16 hrs away and totally wrong.

Been drizzle since early hours and still drizzle and def no signs of any sun.

Posted
1 hour ago, seaside 60 said:

Just goes to show, weather make fools of us all lol, less than 16 hrs away and totally wrong.

Been drizzle since early hours and still drizzle and def no signs of any sun.

It's:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.
21 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

It's:cold:

Nah the warm fronts passing and its high now in stickyness and humidiness

Posted
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 19:33, Ben Lewis said:

Sorry 1st November was a heatwave last year I got burnt playing golf.......

Posted
1 hour ago, Jimmyh said:

Sorry 1st November was a heatwave last year I got burnt playing golf.......

Oh OK, lets wish away dry, warm  (no rain days) in summer for a possible 1 day of warm weather in between the buckets of rain in November... LOL :wallbash:

• Like 1