Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st September 2016 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Hi guys,not been on here for ages,tough tough year so far on a personal level,hope youre all well,and that no-ones been lost,well what can i say,absolutely balmy here,last day of october and im wearing a t-shirt and its gorgeous,hoping for change soon to more seasonal stuff,and of course,im hoping that us in the south-east get walloped with snow this winter.take care guys

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It has taken a while but the sun came out around 1pm and it is really pleasant out there. Looking at the temperatures today it looks like this will be the second warmest Halloween on record, just two years after the the record was smashed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

well... I certainly didn't need a coat today, oh my gosh it's end of October and I didn't need a coat. Mind blown.

Then one of the Mum tells me on the way home 'she got the job today' all excited and i'm wondering 'what job'  mind gone.

But then again this is the same mum who 'out of no where; told me she had seen my husband one Sunday when she was walking the dog. random mind fart.

:ninja: 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Farewell October and thank you for a very pleasant day to end the month on. I spent the afternoon on the seafront in Bexhill soaking up the sun and enjoying the warmth, 20.0c locally. I even managed to get home and cut the grass before darkness fell. 

It's been one of the most settled Octobers I can remember, no complaints from me.

• Like 4

Posted
6 hours ago, snowrye said:

Hi guys,not been on here for ages,tough tough year so far on a personal level,hope youre all well,and that no-ones been lost,well what can i say,absolutely balmy here,last day of october and im wearing a t-shirt and its gorgeous,hoping for change soon to more seasonal stuff,and of course,im hoping that us in the south-east get walloped with snow this winter.take care guys

Sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The fog has reformed again here and is already pretty darn thick, I guess that is perfect for Halloween though :diablo:

Temperatures on the downward slope from tomorrow, the first frosts of the season should occur later in the week, unsure about how cold it could get by the weekend and into the following week, it could be borderline wintry showers weather.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
2 hours ago, SenlacJack said:

Farewell October and thank you for a very pleasant day to end the month on. I spent the afternoon on the seafront in Bexhill soaking up the sun and enjoying the warmth, 20.0c locally. I even managed to get home and cut the grass before darkness fell. 

It's been one of the most settled Octobers I can remember, no complaints from me.

Well said - a terrific day. I too managed to get in a last mow of the year. Hopefully tomorrow night's forecast frost will stop any further growth this year.

A poor performance from the high res models today. GFS went for 17C max for the Region and Arpege completely lost the plot with a forecast high of 15C. I've had a very quick look at the Met Office official stations and found Northolt at 19.8C. Incredible!

It's been a wonderful period of dry and warm weather for our Region, but hopefully we now move on to memorable cold, frost and snow. Early indications are promising for a different winter to last!  :)

• Like 2

Well it's a bit foggy!!! Wow no planes from Heathrow are taking off I can hear nothing! 

It's probs down to around 20-30m visibility here!

Weekend not looking as poor as yesterday with a strong breeze and northly winds it will feel cold though compared to recent days! 

I'm not convinced on winter... Mother nature has a way of balancing herself out and LOVES! a sense of creating  "being lead up the garden path" I fear a few things this winter which could spoil it.

It's a long way to spring now so plenty of "winter" to come, I won't be getting excited about a bit of a cold wind and a few frosts for sure.. It does show how poor our winters have been though with how alive the model thread is over the coming cold snap.

Posted

More fog, it's like  fog is now the norm..although it's November now (pinch, punch etc) - November Fog Index?. I think yesterday was one of my favourite autumn days ever. The sun was warm, the leaf colour looked amazing and I even saw a spider cocooning a dandelion seedhead while walking to the supermarket. Halloween fun, then fog - perfect!

DSC05223.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 hours ago, Team Squirrel said:

More fog, it's like  fog is now the norm..although it's November now (pinch, punch etc) - November Fog Index?. I think yesterday was one of my favourite autumn days ever. The sun was warm, the leaf colour looked amazing and I even saw a spider cocooning a dandelion seedhead while walking to the supermarket. Halloween fun, then fog - perfect!

DSC05223.JPG

All i know about november is that if it is cold the rest of the winter is mild, there is a folklore saying that, it mentions muck and ducks in it i think.

Edited by lassie23

Afternoon! 

The GFS 12z is playing catch up with the EMC regards to weekend weather.

Sunday night and yesterday morning runs on the GFS showed some pretty crappy weather but now they are starting to come into line..

But, a breezy affair Saturday will make fireworks night rather cold and fairly dry (subject to change) 

I might be right in saying this more experienced please correct me, but could we get the "wish bone" effect this weekend? Almost a true northly with a cold air stream over warmer waters? Meaning that coasts to the east north and West would be rather showery while inland stays pretty dry.. Just cold all round 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Hi All. Hope everyone is well? If anyone is interested below is a link to the Met Office Contingency Planner for Nov-Dec-Jan. Makes for interesting reading! Also a video of John Hammond discussing the prospects for the same period.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/public-sector/contingency-planners

Certainly very different to the last few years.....fingers crossed!

10000000_220559331707164_6908209296501112832_n.mp4

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 31/10/2016 at 14:38, lassie23 said:

Think wasps had a bad year around here, no bin maggots either.

Same here, only seen one all year and that was in Canterbury.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yesterday stared foggy then cleared to a slight mist with warm sun, then got foggy again at night fall. 

Today Started foggy, sun burnt through to mist quite quickly, then the thicker fog from north of us came over till about 2. Then it was cloudy, and now the some light drizzle/rain falling from time to time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Started off foggy here and damp but I didn't feel overly chilly, no need for gloves. Even wore a lighter coat to school, with one mum saying how cold it was and i didn't actually feel cold which is a surprise for me if anything, although it was a shade cooler than yesterday, and no sun all day.

In other news sky has just sent us a letter to upgrade our sky to skyQQ which we got a few weeks ago.

The younger folk will understand what QQ is. Stupid thing keeps crashing and lying to me that 'it's not connected to BB' but when hubs tries it smiles sweety and does it's job.

QQ.

Posted

yeah lets pretend today never happened, typically the cloud cleared just after sunset.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

I'm sorry that those of you in the north of the region experienced heavy cloud and mizzle, my folks (they live Bedford way) took a trip on the train to St. Albans today and were complaining about the lack of sun. However here on the Sunshine Coast we had a cracking start to the day with a 'mill pond' sea, where I saw two people swimming and delightful milky, but very warm sunshine. Things did deteriorate later on and walking up to the car after work it started to drizzle, leaving my already pretty naff hairstyle looking a whole lot worse with that special damp frizz appearance! 

Looking forward to some early seasonal chilly nights and perhaps a frost?!

Enjoy your evening everyone, only 3 days till the weekend and bonfire night, yipee! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather

Loving Thomaz wotsit the weather forecaster just now on BBC, he said 'don't forget some of us love the colder weather and the the frosty mornings' or something like that! He'll gather plenty of support on this forum! 

• Like 1

Posted

Well what a contrast in temps today,beautiful yesterday,but i do like the cold,and im hoping its the start of a very snowy winter

Posted

Schafarneker i think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Does he have orange fingers . Chilly tonight looking forward to the frost tmrw 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Wonderful.... a lovely frosty Autumn morning with the rising sun giving a tinge of orange colour. The lawn is white and the bird bath frozen solid. Overnight minimum of -0.6C here in the Hadleigh 'hole'. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Aren't we supposed to be at the start of a coldish period - been out without jacket and it was glorious and looking at the ensembles the temp doesn't look like dropping too much from today for the foreseeable.  Hoping for a bit more interesting winter weather to come but hedging my bets that this will be Dec at the earliest