Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 1st September 2016 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

You and me both when it comes to dentists, you just reminded me I need to make an appointment. I'm half way through treatment but forgot to make my next appointment after the last lot. It wasn't on purpose but may be subconsciously it was if you know what I mean. 

I have never liked them as a kid, then when I was seven I fainted and fell on my face and broke two, which are capped and need replacing. I've had all manner of things done but it doesn't make it any easier and the worst thing is holding back form going you end up with more work to be done. I'm not a big fan of doctors either, but dentists *shudder* I'd rather have my nails pulled out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Dami said:

I have never liked them as a kid, then when I was seven I fainted and fell on my face and broke two, which are capped and need replacing. I've had all manner of things done but it doesn't make it any easier and the worst thing is holding back form going you end up with more work to be done. I'm not a big fan of doctors either, but dentists *shudder* I'd rather have my nails pulled out.

I'm fine with doctors, but dentist's are a big no no. There is a reason, I had a bad dentist once, and he's put me off for life.

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

I'm fine with doctors, but dentist's are a big no no. There is a reason, I had a bad dentist once, and he's put me off for life.

Some of my dislike is when i was in primary school and i can still see that horrible white caravan parked in the school carpark in my mind, is we had a 'school dentist' which was mobile and to cut a long story short took pleasure in filling our teeth for no reason other than money. For me his 'handy work' gave me an infection and I ended up back and forward to my parents dentist and both teeth he had done broke in half and finally fell out. These were MILK teeth as well and totally unnecessary for any treatment. My mouth was never the same after, my gums still play me up today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, Dami said:

Some of my dislike is when i was in primary school and i can still see that horrible white caravan parked in the school carpark in my mind, is we had a 'school dentist' which was mobile and to cut a long story short took pleasure in filling our teeth for no reason other than money. For me his 'handy work' gave me an infection and I ended up back and forward to my parents dentist and both teeth he had done broke in half and finally fell out. These were MILK teeth as well and totally unnecessary for any treatment. My mouth was never the same after, my gums still play me up today.

That's seriously wrong, was he ever struck off?

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

That's seriously wrong, was he ever struck off?

I believe so. If i remember we weren't the only school he did it too and it made the local paper.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Wall-to-wall sunshine here, too, but it's only 17C...No oneuppersonship here, today...:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The weather is actually quite stupid today, warm in the sun, cold in the shade and cool when the wind blows. Shirt on, shirt off, shirt on, shirt off:wallbash:

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

The weather is actually quite stupid today, warm in the sun, cold in the shade and cool when the wind blows. Shirt on, shirt off, shirt on, shirt off:wallbash:

worst kind of day, in my opinion. In fact this warm autumn thing is doing my head in and my wallet - I need a 'warm autumn' wardrobe now. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dami said:

worst kind of day, in my opinion. In fact this warm autumn thing is doing my head in and my wallet - I need a 'warm autumn' wardrobe now. 

My warm clothes are gathering dust.

Posted

Great sunshine and feeling pretty warm already.. But the forecast is definitely something you would expect for the peak of Summer, not late September!

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 11.44.59.png

Posted

Currently 21.9c, its a bit breezy outside but doesn't look very gusty or exactly windy.. I guess I'll see as I am going out now for a few hours!

Posted
25 minutes ago, Delka said:

Currently 21.9c, its a bit breezy outside but doesn't look very gusty or exactly windy.. I guess I'll see as I am going out now for a few hours!

23c here, is that a cat hugging a potato?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Seems to be extremely difficult to get blue sky and sun for any length of time, grey here since about 11am, most annoying.

Posted

Lovely lunchtime here - lunch on the allotment in the sun! Chilly and cloudy by the time we get back into town though half an hour later - very changeable day.

Just got home and it's 21.c in the flat - don't think I've seen it below 23.c for months!

Facebook is annoying at the moment - I'm use to people linking to those ridiculous stories in the Daily Express - but people keep sharing an obscure article from Exacta Weather about how we'll be under ten foot of blizzards in six weeks. 

@Surrey - wishing you all the best work-wise!

Edited by Team Squirrel

Posted
2 hours ago, lassie23 said:

23c here, is that a cat hugging a potato?

It most definitely is!

EDIT: It continued to rise as I was out and is currently a respectable 23.2c.. 

Edited by Delka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Judging by posts above and the official max temp of 21.9C at Wattisham Air Base (just up the road from me) and 23.7C at Gravesend, this morning's Arpege forecast of 22C to 23C temps for East Anglia was a good call. Certainly beat the somewhat pessimistic forecast from BBC Look East this morning of a max in EA of 21C.

It was a shame the cloud from a decaying old warm front rolled in fairly early this afternoon and stopped temps climbing higher for many locations. And now we wait for the cold front to arrive tomorrow to give a wet Thurs morning and setting us up for a cooler few days. Saturday looking very disappointing with low pressure centred over us with outbreaks of rain and a max temp held back to around 13C to 15C. But I don't think we can complain as we slowly slip into Autumn proper - what a cracking August and September we've enjoyed! :)

Decaying warm front that spoilt this pm Met Off Fax Chart Wed28Sep 18.00.jpg

Cold front clears midday Thurs Met Off Fax Chart Thur29Sep 12.00.jpg

Cool wet Saturday Met Off Fax Chart Sat01Oct 12.00.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

Judging by posts above and the official max temp of 21.9C at Wattisham Air Base (just up the road from me) and 23.7C at Gravesend, this morning's Arpege forecast of 22C to 23C temps for East Anglia was a good call. Certainly beat the somewhat pessimistic forecast from BBC Look East this morning of a max in EA of 21C.

It was a shame the cloud from a decaying old warm front rolled in fairly early this afternoon and stopped temps climbing higher for many locations. And now we wait for the cold front to arrive tomorrow to give a wet Thurs morning and setting us up for a cooler few days. Saturday looking very disappointing with low pressure centred over us with outbreaks of rain and a max temp held back to around 13C to 15C. But I don't think we can complain as we slowly slip into Autumn proper - what a cracking August and September we've enjoyed! :)

Decaying warm front that spoilt this pm Met Off Fax Chart Wed28Sep 18.00.jpg

Cold front clears midday Thurs Met Off Fax Chart Thur29Sep 12.00.jpg

Cool wet Saturday Met Off Fax Chart Sat01Oct 12.00.jpg

I must confess, Malcolm, I found this afternoon strangely unsettling.  I think it was the mixture of cloud, breeze and humidity; it almost seemed as though each of the characteristics was at odds with the others.  This morning, however, was very pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
28 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I must confess, Malcolm, I found this afternoon strangely unsettling.  I think it was the mixture of cloud, breeze and humidity; it almost seemed as though each of the characteristics was at odds with the others.  This morning, however, was very pleasant.

I think I know what you mean Chris. After a fairly chilly start here with an overnight min of 11C the temp had shot up to 21C by 13.00 before - in a matter of minutes - the sky totally clouded over. However the temp continued to rise to 22C an hour later. But meanwhile, humidity which was only 60% late morning, started to increase this afternoon to reach 80% by late afternoon. So I suspect the unsettling bit was that as the temp slowly decreased this afternoon, the humidity was slowly going up! :)  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

I think I know what you mean Chris. After a fairly chilly start here with an overnight min of 11C the temp had shot up to 21C by 13.00 before - in a matter of minutes - the sky totally clouded over. However the temp continued to rise to 22C an hour later. But meanwhile, humidity which was only 60% late morning, started to increase this afternoon to reach 80% by late afternoon. So I suspect the unsettling bit was that as the temp slowly decreased this afternoon, the humidity was slowly going up! :)  

I suspected as much, Malcolm.  Humidity, cloud and breeze in late September (leaves turning etc.) is very un-British and strange.

• Like 1

Posted

oh behalf of bubs and myself I would like to thank the British weather for being a complete:oops:this morning. We were soaked with in a few feet of the house, blown up the road then I was blown back. To say it just rained is an insult, it positively smacked it down.  Thankfully I was smart enough to take the rubbish out while it was still lightly raining which is quite impressive  considering i am a coffee free zone before i take bubs to school.  

If the rain doesn't get me in the afternoon it sure as hell gets me in the morning.

such is the school run.:nonono:  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

I've just been completely caught out my a torrential downpour and I'm soaked . Looking at the radar looks like a squall line of sorts . Remember rain was forecasted but forget in my sleepiness this morning .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

I'm back folks! My annual spring/summer hiatus has come to an end, looking forward to hunting the white stuff with you all for another winter!

• Like 4