Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Love to see where that chart goes from there, but look at the PV it is in tatters...remarkable for a third way through November when we are accustomed to seeing it really ramp up!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
18 minutes ago, Nouska said:

ECM ensemble mean at 360 hours is not showing anything way below average 850 temp wise but it does indicate the direction of travel will not be the S. westerly, mild variety of the last couple of Novembers.

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s

There looks to be 2 distinct clusters developing on the London Ens graph as well so maybe signal muted, my guess that right at the end is the route back to cold after the aforementioned 60% of members which 'briefly' warm us up. Thanks for the chart.

EDIT  :   If your still around Sylvain, is there any chance you can fix the CFS monthly mean charts please.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Nouska said:

ECM ensemble mean at 360 hours is not showing anything way below average 850 temp wise but it does indicate the direction of travel will not be the S. westerly, mild variety of the last couple of Novembers.

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s

Very true Nouska. But low pressure to the NNE and the Azores ridging a tad could see some systems winging in from the WNW. :)

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

Very true Nouska. But low pressure to the NNE and the Azores ridging a tad could see some systems winging in from the WNW. :)

Are they more likely to track on a more south Eeasterly direction than usual though, as opposed to just barrelling straight through us.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Are they more likely to track on a more south Eeasterly direction than usual though, as opposed to just barrelling straight through us.

Yes that would be the more likely scenario but all rather academic really.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, knocker said:

Indeed!

We all know the dangers of looking at blended solutions. :unsure2:

On the matter of JMA versus ECM - here's September stats for Europe region (last available).

8b87b9adba0fa7ef087d9cab9fe5e8cd.png

You can play around with the parameters here.

http://apps.ecmwf.int/wmolcdnv/scores/mean/500_z

• Like 3

Posted

Latest METO forecast suggest there is still a large degree of uncertainty from mid next week, although most point to a largely less cold feel.  It also says the East may hang on to the colder and dryer weather.

Again, this is slightly different from yesterday with regards their wording, so the pattern is obviously very hard to predict with any degree of certainty even at this range.  I'm pretty sure the 12z and next ECM will put some meat on the bones, along with the 12z UKMO!!

Next please!!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Looks like Euro v America after a brief look at 00z suites. Feels like that's the 1000th time that has been the case while being on this forum. 

Looking at something more longer range.

JMA long range ensembles - Day 17-30 (19th Nov to 2nd Dec)

IMG_3074.PNG

Obviously a more muted signal being almost a month away but clear signal for heights staying above normal to our north and below to our south. Nothing we don't really already know though and just reinforcing the potential for late November/early December. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Latest METO forecast suggest there is still a large degree of uncertainty from mid next week, although most point to a largely less cold feel.  It also says the East may hang on to the colder and dryer weather.

Again, this is slightly different from yesterday with regards their wording, so the pattern is obviously very hard to predict with any degree of certainty even at this range.  I'm pretty sure the 12z and next ECM will put some meat on the bones, along with the 12z UKMO!!

Next please!!!

Morning ,I was about to post a similar view of met office update , so to me it looks very uncertain after mid next week onwards  same as our visible models are showing .

But still uncertain whether we will get high pressure over Scandy or centred a little further south ,As ALI 1977 Said tonights runs could give us a few more clues ,So at least we have some good synoptics on offer ,the other out come could be diving low pressure areas ,all interesting stuff ,cheers gang :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Let's please keep METO outlook musings to the correct thread.

Thanks please continue.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean shows a trend to milder (more average) beyond next midweek with ebb and flow of the Azores high vs lower heights to the nw / n / ne and for a while the Az High (ridging) has the best of it although it still looks changeable with the most unsettled weather across the north and the best of the fine weather further s / sw but later the high is forced further southwest and it's low pressure to the northwest which takes over and slowly pushes eastwards with an increasing chance of polar / arctic maritime incursions beyond mid month.

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

CFS never the best model but starting to hint at a cold end to November!

cfs.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
15 minutes ago, Barry95 said:

It's actually ECM, UKMO, JMA, NASA, NAVGEM vs GFS at the moment...

You forgot to mention the GEM, which seems to be sitting on the fence on this one...

gemnh-0-198.png?00

• Like 1

Posted

I hope Ian doesn't mind me transfering this info to the thread!!

Indeed, and rapidly-growing spread remains evident post-Tuesday. Inspection of postage stamps shows a veritable raft of possible outcomes by Weds onwards (one member even with a deep low barelling-into the UK... just to keep us entertained!). However, both Op & experimental runs of 00z EC do jointly lean to a muted recovery in temperatures after midweek, peaking to average for a period towards end of the week/into mid-month. Tail-end of experimental run then suggests these start falling-away. Nonetheless, given ongoing spread and varied to-and-fro between models and inter-run within their respective suites, it's inescapable that confidence into the 10-15 & 15-30d periods remains very low.

All to play for , but beware as the GFS may be on the right track. "may", however even if the GFS is correct we are not talking warm weather.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Certainly a cold next 10 days if ECM is correct...

ECU0-48.GIF.pngECU0-72.GIF.pngECU0-96.GIF.pngECU0-120.GIF.pngECU0-144.GIF.pngECU0-168.GIF.pngECU0-192.GIF.pngECU0-216.GIF.pngECU0-240.GIF.png

No mild Atlantic weather to be seen...

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Barry95 said:

Certainly a cold next 10 days if ECM is correct...

ECU0-48.GIF.pngECU0-72.GIF.pngECU0-96.GIF.pngECU0-120.GIF.pngECU0-144.GIF.pngECU0-168.GIF.pngECU0-192.GIF.pngECU0-240.GIF.pngECU0-240.GIF.png

No mild Atlantic weather to be seen...

ECU0-216.GIF.png

Yes Barry the Ecm operational looks great, we just want to see a flip back to colder from the ensembles, especially the GEFS..when I say we I just mean my fellow coldies:santa-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

If we look at t192 ECM has made a big change overnight

ECMOPEU00_192_1.pngECMOPEU12_192_1.png

00z                                                                    12z

Which goes to show how volitile the output can be and why you always have to be wary when looking from run to run, It would not surprise me if the 12Z ECM pushes too much energy in the Northern arm of the jet and we see a flatter evolution. However even if it does, its far from a foregone conclusion.

Either way, still hoping we see the slow ridge coming off which should generate some nice chilly frosty autuminal weather regardless what happens afterwards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
20 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes Barry the Ecm operational looks great, we just want to see a flip back to colder from the ensembles, especially the GEFS..when I say we I just mean my fellow coldies:santa-emoji:

Nice to see warmer uppers into Cornwall to keep @knocker happy :) 

• Like 3

Posted

Actually the Ecm 00z operational ties in more with the experts latest thoughts with colder & drier conditions more likely to continue further east / south-east than the atlantic mobility shown on the GEFS mean beyond next midweek..The Ecm is actually more bullish about cold weather persisting across the whole of the uk compared to the MO which is more of a halfway house with slightly milder air making it into the w / nw.

ecmt850.240.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Remember back in January 2013 when the GFS fell apart as it kept modelling for the Atlantic to blow away the Scandi high?

What actually happened was the block held firm and we got a decent cold spell for two weeks, I see some parallels potentially developing here.

If the UKMO also becomes firmly on board I think the GFS will also be dragged in.

Never underestimate stubborn cold over Scandi :D, interesting 12z's to come up.

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Never underestimate stubborn cold over Scandi :D

I must say the Scandinavian cold looks impressive:cold-emoji: 

06_96_2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
20 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

I must say the Scandinavian cold looks impressive:cold-emoji: 

06_96_2mtmp.png

That chart could easily be atypical of a February 7th chart, nevermind a November 7th chart. Winter's coming early to a whole host of countries over in Europe, will it spread its cold-loving hands over our little island as well, is the big big question. I think it will, especially given the propensity for Northerly based winds over Westerlies and those continual progressively colder dry blocking air masses around nearby as Glacier Point also alluded to. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4