Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Man With Beard said:

This is classic ECM territory though. Almost always the first to see a breakthrough of the trough to split west / east heights.

If T168 did materialise, you'd have to raise serious questions about when the Atlantic would eventually get in.

I suspect (and have done since all this kicked off tbh) that the second half of Nov will see zonality (of sorts) but will it be rampant zonality with trough after trough raging through Scotland-Iceland or quasi zonality by where its wet and rainy but with a steady trough over us or to the west which will still be driving warm air into the polar regions thus attacking the strat and trop vortices?, will the zonal winds in the strat still be running below average when the vortex does intensify?, will it still be vulnerable to more attacks and easier to bring down completely as we get well into December?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
15 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

This is classic ECM territory though. Almost always the first to see a breakthrough of the trough to split west / east heights.

If T168 did materialise, you'd have to raise serious questions about when the Atlantic would eventually get in.

The GFS suite is not a million miles away from what the ECM shows at 168

gfs-0-168.png

Nor the controle

gens-0-1-168.png

Peturbs 1,9,10,16 and 17 all show Scandi height rises at that time frame so all to play for.

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_panel.php?modele=0&mode=1&ech=168

Meanwhile it will be cold for the foreseeable.

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

plenty of early cold heading our way according to the Ecm 00z..BANK!:santa-emoji:

72_mslp850uk.png

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850.png

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, knocker said:

Brutal cold slips away NE as the UK is suffused in a warm glow. And the Black Sea the destination for an Autumn break.

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_49.png

Indeed knocker, 3 or so days of very warm (unusually warm) days for that region coming up. There looks to be a return to average after that, though. Personally I'm looking forward to a little warm up, as it was a cold October and I feel Autumn skipped. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS control is most definitely on the warm side from the 12th

gefsens850London0.png

As for the Inverness snow row it still looks good for the 5th with a peak of 17

gefsens850Inverness0.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
35 minutes ago, knocker said:

Brutal cold slips away NE as the UK is suffused in a warm glow. And the Black Sea the destination for an Autumn break.

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_49.png

I like the look of that, given it's at a D7 to D10 range and it suggests average temperatures at worse (for coldies like me) away from the rain-affected NW where it will be briefly milder. Kind of sounds like where we are right now in fact, temperatures perhaps a degree or two up on current values. With Europe looking cold and all that bottled up cold over the Russian territories, it'll be a mighty battle for the default zonality cup, it will likely go into extra time. A few chilly/cool days for most of us, with a brief interruption of a rainband/showers on Friday before a return to largely crisp and dry weather thereafter.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A cold start to next week before temperatures recover slightly by the end of the week as winds shift around to more of a westerly

Reem1202.gifReem1682.gifReem2162.gifReem2402.gif

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

So having a break from model watching was going well, until this happened :shok:

ECH1-168.gif

I shall be going nowhere for the foreseeable

If this GFS run follows, or moves closer to the ECM I imagine a busy day ahead in this forum - if however it doesn't, I'd be surprised if the ECM doesn't back-track later.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

I can't see the gfs following the ecm to be honest. Ecm doesn't have much support for the Scandinavia high in its ensembles. Think we will see the ecm move towards the gfs on tonight's output. Looks like gfs 00z wants to bring some sort of westerly influence into next week. Still settled but not feeling as cold as these few days coming up. Then from there who knows. But we are certainly a million miles away from last year looking at the northern hemisphere. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

If this GFS run follows, or moves closer to the ECM I imagine a busy day ahead in this forum - if however it doesn't, I'd be surprised if the ECM doesn't back-track later.

I'm not holding my breathe, BUT it certainly isn't out of the question. if the GFS 06z doesn't follow, then probability does go down, but 12z runs will decide this IMHO.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Better WAA on the 06z compared to the 00z. Hopefully that'll make a difference and we'll lean more towards a cold outcome with this run. Cracking ECM, been hinting at the Scandi High for a couple of days. Until there's more support for it though, not worth paying it too much attention.

• Like 2

Posted

ECM Ensemble support to my untrained eye 

EDH1-168.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 hour ago, knocker said:

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_49.png

Come now Knocker, that shows 0 degrees anomaly for most of the UK and you know it unless you mean the warm glow of the North Sea :)

• Like 8

Posted

Close but no Cigar as far as the GFS 06z is concerned. But the opportunity certainly still exists because it is not a million miles away. More runs needed 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Atlantic held back more in this run improvement in my eyes..

gfsnh-0-156.png

Looks rather messy over Greenland though, those deep purples aren't something we'd ideally want to see - WAA into the Arctic from North America though, might see the PV lobe over Greenland move Eastwards towards Scandi in the later frames.

Overall, quite a messy picture from the models to start the day today. Encouraging signs from the GFS with regards to SSW and zonal wind reversal though.

Posted

GFS 06Z - massive move towards the ECM in my opinion. A little bit of disruption around T168 (traditionally GFS op is later on the disruption radar than the ECM op) - low heights stay more significant over Europe and by T192 there's nearly a meet-up of cold between NW and SE - cold continental air still over the SE, and the milder uppers quickly being squeezed out in the middle:

gfs-1-192.png?6

not breathtaking uppers by this time but certainly not mild.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 8