Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

It should be 1980-2010, that's industry standard surely by now, all the data for the last decade must have been verified.

It should be but I'm not sure it can be given what we see with the temperature anomaly plots with these models.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

John Hammond is on Facebook live right now talking about the winter forecast on the BBC News page! 

Pretty bullish about cold winter by all accounts. The last time they were this bullish, I'm pretty certain it was summer..... that didn't end well LOL

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted

One thing I have noticed in today runs is the dreaded shortwave to the south of Norway, alluded to it last night we need to watch these getting modelled as it cuts off the cold air to an extent (as it has a longer track to get to these shores) and the flow turns more of a NE'ly to a Northerly. Its so frustrating seeing these features getting modelled and it seems so hard these days to get a nice clean flow of cold air.

That said, the overall outlook in terms of it will be the coldest feel of weather of the Autumn season so far is still there and that the risk of the PV dropping into Greenland is most certainly still there also.

• Like 1

Posted

Crazy difference on the 12z, gets rid of the cold snap quicker but lets see where it goes next. Bit of PV around Greeny on this run, which may shift East with any luck.

IMG_3391.PNG

IMG_3392.PNG

Posted
55 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

It should be 1980-2010, that's industry standard surely by now, all the data for the last decade must have been verified.

SUMMARY – TEMPERATURE:
For November-December-January, lower-than-average temperatures are more probable than higher-than-average values.
Overall, the probability that the UK-mean temperature for November-December-January will fall into the coldest of our five categories is 30%
and the probability that it will fall into the warmest of our five categories is 10% (the 1981-2010 probability for each of these categories is
20%).

• Like 1

Posted

Rolf the GFS is still failing. cannot get any consistency how can it swing  that big in just one run is stupid.  

• Like 2

Posted

This is not a great run out to 144 on GFS or UKMO on the face of it. That said, mild South Westerlies look unlikely for any great length of time.

gfsnh-0-144 (1).pngUN144-21.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
26 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Pretty bullish about cold winter by all accounts. The last time they were this bullish, I'm pretty certain it was summer..... that didn't end well LOL

In their defence they predicted the extreme cold of December 2010 very well using less advanced modelling than available now. For all the bashing of the Meto that people like to indulge in they still do an excellent job and have the most trustworthy longer term forecasts in recent years imo.  Sorry mods for off topic.

• Like 6

Posted

This run looks quite good to me, yes we lose the cold NE wind but now comes in a cold NW one - which seems more in line with what some models are saying and with little PV these NW winds are subject to break letting WAA upto the pole.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

In their defence they predicted the extreme cold of December 2010 very well using less advanced modelling than available now. For all the bashing of the Meto that people like to indulge in they still do an excellent job and have the most trustworthy longer term forecasts in recent years imo.  Sorry mods for off topic.

It was tongue in cheek, I respect the MetO. But It is still bullish so early on, they must have a very strong belief that it will play out as predicted.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Is that the met office forecast? thanks in advance.

It's the just published winter forecast. I assumed that's what you were talking about but I admit I didn't check.

Posted
5 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

No, i just remember vaguely, I'm sure it was late 2010 and the article was in the telegraph around mid January 2011 talking about the stratosphere, there might be a link to it in the MOD thread around 2011 but good luck if you can find it!

Ok thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

NH profile looks better on this run which is more important down the line...

gfsnh-0-216.pnggfsnh-0-222.png

gfsnh-0-240.pnggfsnh-0-252.png

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

It's the just published winter forecast. I assumed that's what you were talking about but I admit I didn't check.

No, I was talking about the NWP long range models (raw data), that they always seem to over do the temperature on anomaly forecasts regardless of the H500 pattern contradicting the temp output and that some of the maps are entirely red which is practically impossible and Crewecold made a good point that it depends what climatology they are set against.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

No, I was talking about the NWP long range models (raw data), that they always seem to over do the temperature on anomaly forecasts regardless of the H500 pattern contradicting the temp output and that some of the maps are entirely red which is practically impossible and Crewecold made a good point that it depends what climatology they are set against.

Right forget I posted in that case.but without checking I would be amazed if they didn't use the latest climate period. Any other just would not make sense

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well the FI feature for next Monday is biting the dust that may have brought some Snow quite far south. Now it's a fairly weak feature but should bring Snow to Scottish Hills though maybe the far north England. So a brief rather cold possibly cold spell some showers for exposed areas dry elsewhere and frosts for the next few days.  I guess nobody will be looking at deep FI as it shows a return to mild weather.

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

As a matter of interest the EPS 46-day uses:

Climatology based on weighted hindcast constructed from total of 20-years [1996-2015] and 11-members and 3 cycles for a total of 660 members. This model based climatology is called the ECMWF M-Climate.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 minutes ago, The PIT said:

I guess nobody will be looking at deep FI as it shows a return to mild weather.

I'd hardly say a 'return to mild', more like a return to fairly average, especially for November. Also depend on how far into FI you go as there's always this...

gfs-1-312.png?12

Likely to be short lived I'll admit.

I'd say the best reason not to look to far into FI is just how different the GFS runs are even before it gets into shallow FI, never-mind deep FI

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, knocker said:

As a matter of interest the EPS 46-day uses:

Climatology based on weighted hindcast constructed from total of 20-years [1996-2015] and 11-members and 3 cycles for a total of 660 members. This model based climatology is called the ECMWF M-Climate.

Thanks, I would assume that the ECM seasonal model uses similar, I did say that the ECM and GLOSEA5 along with the JMA are really the ones to take notice of.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

I'd hardly say a 'return to mild', more like a return to fairly average, especially for November. Also depend on how far into FI you go as there's always this...

gfs-1-312.png?12

Likely to be short lived I'll admit.

I'd say the best reason not to look to far into FI is just how different the GFS runs are even before it gets into shallow FI, never-mind deep FI

Well

viewimage.pbx.png