Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

And even before that very disturbed end, the Ecm 12z becomes cold from the North next weekend and early week 2 with 528 dam thicknesses and even 522 dam almost touching the far NE (Shetland) for a time. There would be some upland snow for sure across the north of the uk, in fact, this cold end to the week is now firming up quickly.

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_thick.png

168_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Staying blocked No westerly in there :D

IMG_0051.PNG

be great if it wasnt five weeks away!!!.the cfs do tent to switch now and then but regarding oct- nov im not sure

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, swfc said:

be great if it wasnt five weeks away!!!.the cfs does tend to switch now and then but regarding oct- nov im not sure

The cfs was showing mild recently so let's hope it stays cold:santa-emoji:

I'm not seeing anything mild as such after tomorrow really..and plenty of cold.

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted

Well there are changes already going on. North California is having heavy rain after a two year drought and southern  Canada is starting to get a severe winter warning after two years of mild winters..And this winter is looking different from the last two for the U.K...lets hope the models get it right this year and make it... Third time lucky ????

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Well we look like getting very unsettled, but the LPs are coming NW/SE angle if not steeper.  I'll take that.....Atlantic zoneality not in the game.  I have a feeling we will see lots of this type of set up this winter.  

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Staying blocked No westerly in there :D

IMG_0051.PNG

Lovely setup abbie. Lets hope we get all these half hearted Greenland heights in November, with the real deal arriving in December like you show.  :cold::cold::cold:

• Like 4

Posted

The GEFS 12z mean shows an unsettled outlook and temps generally below average with indications of Pm / Am incursions at times as high pressure builds north in the atlantic and a nice trough alignment to the NE..so, winds generally from north of west but next weekend into the start of week 2 they veer Nly / NEly and towards mid Nov there are signs of further arctic maritime incursions.

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_378_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I live 534ft asl in North Yorkshire .and studied charts for 30years .my subaru forester is booked in for winter tyres normally I wait till December to have them fitted. Off topic sorry. But I'm not going to underestimate these set of charts. I've been monitoring the situation for several days now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Because I'm bored and there's a lull until the next GFS run, I thought I'd share this. The difference between the forecast this year and the actual outcome last year and the year before. 

Today                                                             This time last year...                               2014
gfsnh-0-6.png?12?12archivesnh-2015-10-30-12-0.pngarchivesnh-2014-10-30-12-0.png

Forecast in 7 days.                                      Actual outcome last year                       2014
gfsnh-0-192.png?12archivesnh-2015-11-7-12-0.pngarchivesnh-2014-11-7-12-0.png

Forecast in 14 days                                    Actual outcome last year                         2014
gfsnh-0-336.png?12archivesnh-2015-11-13-12-0.pngarchivesnh-2014-11-13-12-0.png

What is distinctly lacking in the current forecasts is the long fetch south-westerlies that previous years had, which is obviously a standard pattern for this time of year.                                                      

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
13 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

I live 534ft asl in North Yorkshire .and studied charts for 30years .my subaru forester is booked in for winter tyres normally I wait till December to have them fitted. Off topic sorry. But I'm not going to underestimate these set of charts. I've been monitoring the situation for several days now.

Hopefully they will get a workout soon, do you live in the North York Moors? If so ECM shows the chance of wintry showers to high ground in that area next week, GFS not so keen. My snow tyres are on standby just in case :cold:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

-8c lurking a lot nearer, we could see it put in a British  isles appearance on this run.

• Like 4

Posted

Looking at the anomalies tonight, although all on the same page, there are enough differences vis precise orientation of the Scandinavian trough and Atlantic ridging to still leave open precisely how the surface analysis will evolve. For example the orientation of the trough adjacent to the UK is somewhat dependent on how the upper low which emanates from the Canadian vortex phases in with it and whether subsequently the resulting trough is positively tilted. This in turn is influenced by the extent and strength of the Atlantic HP. This will all influence the surface low pressure development in the eastern Atlantic. Fascinating stuff. I don't see alot of point in looking further ahead at this stage but it's looking much like Atlantic ridge, weakening trough, NW flow. I'll throw in the ecm 850mb as I posted the GEFS earlier

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png610day.03.gif

ecm_eps_t850a_5d_nh_11.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 9

Posted

GFSOPUK18_168_18.png

Over 100mm of Rain over the Welsh border if 18z verified just as well its still a week away so hopefully wouldn't be as bad as shown here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Its a shame its so early because in January some of these runs lately would have given us a right ol pelting!

The Mid strat vortex is coming under fire again at the end of the run as well. showing signs of splitting right up to 30, maybe even 10mb.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Its a shame its so early because in January some of these runs lately would have given us a right ol pelting!

The Mid strat vortex is coming under fire again at the end of the run as well. showing signs of splitting right up to 30, maybe even 10mb.

And........

she gives us a nice smile at the end of the run :D

gfsnh-10-384.png

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Won't often post a chart from the ridiculous realms of FI for any kind of narrative guidance.

However.

Just look at where the cold is loaded... not outwith the realms of impossibility for things to go right for once in what 5 years...

gfsnh-1-240.png

(Very much a novice here) but those uppers dont look too cold for the uk?