Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
4 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The tenacity of this is something to behold.  Indeed large swathes of the landmass to our East has had a very cold October with rapid snow gain.  More of the same please

Indeed. What will be interesting is if the western parts can keep the snow cover into the mid November or end of November range. Snow is still vulnerable to melting in the western parts and wouldn't take much to get it melting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

GFS0Z was a thing of true beauty in FI. The easterly initially starts off dragging in warm air but starts pulling it in before a northerly arrives.

Rtavn3122.gif

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The tenacity of this is something to behold.  Indeed large swathes of the landmass to our East has had a very cold October with rapid snow gain.  More of the same please

Assume you mean well to our east Fred ?  The filling in due to occur closer to home once we get into next week over scandi and west russia/Eastern Europe.

wouldnt expect any south scandi/e European  snow cover to survive November intact though. 

Hopefully w Russia and n scandi can do so 

Posted

GFS 06z is quite similar at day 9 to the 00z, E/NE wind should be inbound by day 11 if this follows the last run.  PV is less evident too so it could be a good FI, and with Scandy in the freezer it won't take too long to tap into  the cold if we get a N/Easterly.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Not seen this early extensive cover of snow for a long time ( forecast date 10TH November 2016). Quite a significant depth throughout the heart of Russia and even snow cover as far west as Dutch/ North German border. All as a result of the persistent Northern Blocking and no length of zonal blasting.  Warms the cockles of your heart !

C

GFSOPEU00_348_25.png

Very nice chart there Carinthian, most of Poland with a dusting and a big swathe of Northern Germany through to Denmark. Truly a sight to behold so early in the season. Snowfall shown well here.

16110812_2700.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Support is growing in the GEFS for a more potent block in the Greenland /Labrodor area.  It has potential to be quite a big block that looks like it could be hard to move once in place, especially without anything to push it away to the East or S/East.  Bonfire night could be when things start getting colder (nothing unusual though) with some frosts,   however  NE europe is going to have an early taste of some seriously cold weather for this time of year.  

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 6z mean looks anticyclonic for the most part throughout the next few weeks with very limited trough activity. Temperature wise, it's mild into early next week but then slowly trending cooler but nothing dramatic is indicated according to this..in fact, longer term the temps recover again from the south / southwest.

21_144_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

21_192_500mb.png

21_216_500mb.png

21_240_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, jvenge said:

GFS 6z ensembles look all over the place after T144. More runs, please :-)

Yep as Zakos as pointed out above   as long as the differences over Canada continue.  then i expect many solutions to be on the table.   Fun model watching though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, jvenge said:

GFS 6z ensembles look all over the place after T144. More runs, please :-)

They look very tightly grouped on the 850hpa temperature graph right the way until the end.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Taking a snapshot at T+168 hours on the GEFS 6z mean / perturbations, one word, no actually two words spring to mind..benign / anticyclonic with nothing sinister lurking in the woodshed!:shok::santa-emoji:

0_168_500mb.png

1_168_500mb.png

2_168_500mb.png

6_168_500mb.png

7_168_500mb.png

8_168_500mb.png

9_168_500mb.png

10_168_500mb.png

12_168_500mb.png

13_168_500mb.png

14_168_500mb.png

15_168_500mb.png

17_168_500mb.png

18_168_500mb.png

19_168_500mb.png

20_168_500mb.png

21_168_500mb.png

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They look very tightly grouped on the 850hpa temperature graph right the way until the end.

Admittedly I looked at 2m and I also don't look at the UK, but a quick look at 850 for the UK shows quite a mix in itself. A bigger selection than from the 0z. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, jvenge said:

Admittedly I looked at 2m and I also don't look at the UK, but a quick look at 850 for the UK shows quite a mix in itself. A bigger selection than from the 0z. 

Just now, jvenge said:

Admittedly I haven't been through them individually (which is the best method), but I hazard a guess that they only have slight variations in the shortwave pattern and that most have blocking to some extent throughout much of the run.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Admittedly I haven't been through them individually (which is the best method), but I hazard a guess that they only have slight variations in the shortwave pattern and that most have blocking to some extent throughout much of the run.

Oh indeed, I was more saying the end result on the ground scattered a lot from the 0z. My preferred method of looking is to see when the ensembles start broad temperature agreement

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
2 hours ago, Zakos said:

npsh500.pngnpsh500.png

GFS 00Z (left) 06Z (right) at +144 hours. Note the huge differences over Alaska and Canada. whereas the rest of the hemisphere is mostly the same on both runs. I think it was Ian Ferguson who said the models are struggling with this region currently.

Pointless speculating about what will happen until this disparity is resolved IMO.

hgt500-1000.pnghgt500-1000.png

Fast forward to +180 hours and you can see the effect of this model disparity. 

Looking at the pattern over the Atlantic and Europe, there isn't a great deal of difference.

But over Canada, there is a marked difference in the output, which much more WAA on the 06z entering the Canadian arctic.

npsh500.pngnpsh500.png

At + 222 hours, we have much stronger blocking in the Atlantic,  and far more WAA into the Canadian arctic,  almost completely removing the low heights from the region.

The models will continue to flip flop like this, as even small differences early on will have huge differences in the output down the line

It is pointless IMO looking at the output beyond 180 hours, though it has to be said the trend is towards a colder pattern for the UK.

It is specifically the forming Atlantic trough seen here way off to our W/NW

gfsnh-0-120.png

And the exiting Canadian trough (seen here just N of the Atlantic trough) that are causing upstream shenanigans 

gfsnh-0-144.png

The GFS 18z (last night) and this mornings 00z did not phase them and kept the Atlantic sector more amplified and this mornings ECM moved toward that solution so it looke dlike a trend but this mornings 06z has somewhat reverted back to phasing these troughs

00z/06z comparison.

gfsnh-0-186.pnggfsnh-0-186.png?6

Obviously the strength of the Atlantic ridge and whether we caan block off energy pushing East over the block South of Greenland affects how amplified and far west the pattern is in FI.

Since this reflected throughout the ensemble suit it makes a marked difference between the 00z and 06z ensemble suits FI predictions. (Comparison below)

graphe6_1000_260_108___.gifgraphe6_1000_260_108___.gif

I have no idea whether GFS will stick with this through this afternoon and evening or if it is just a bit of a rogue run going against the current trend.

Plenty more upstream shenanigans ahead seems probable though so we are likely to see fairly strong divergence between runs and models from day 7/8 let alone FI proper.

All makes for fascinating model watching and it is easy to forget it is still only October.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 hours ago, bluearmy said:

Assume you mean well to our east Fred ?  The filling in due to occur closer to home once we get into next week over scandi and west russia/Eastern Europe.

wouldnt expect any south scandi/e European  snow cover to survive November intact though. 

Hopefully w Russia and n scandi can do so 

Correct mate, anticipate westward advance to Scandi and Parts of Europe early Nov

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1