Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Some nice looking charts this evening especially from the gfs and gem models. But i do feel it is all too early again. I would expect the polar vortex to get its act together towards the end of October early November. And of coarse see we're we go from there. But if I remember correctly we saw a lot of blocking this time last year from the output and we all know how that ended. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
22 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Well I make no apology that I'm seeking our first cold shot of the season and there are a few interesting GEFS 12z perturbations for the end of october with powerful scandi highs and others with potential arctic incursions!:cold-emoji:

I like P5 best:D

5_384_850tmp.png

20_384_850tmp.png

19_384_850tmp.png

12_384_500mb.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Sorry about above post ,clicked on it yesterday to give reply then changed my mind and cant get rid of it .

So thought i would send it blank to try to correct it ,PS  chart watching now becoming more interesting ,cheers all .:cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

Heights impressively strong to the NE on the ECM this evening. The Atlantic is battling against the heights but neither wins out so we're left with a southerly influence. May the battle continue with the latter winning:clapping:

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Heights impressively strong to the NE on the ECM this evening. The Atlantic is battling against the heights but neither wins out so we're left with a southerly influence. May the battle continue with the latter winning:clapping:

The Atlantic clearly ahead on points at the end of round ten. :)

Edited by knocker

Posted
1 hour ago, terrier said:

Some nice looking charts this evening especially from the gfs and gem models. But i do feel it is all too early again. I would expect the polar vortex to get its act together towards the end of October early November. And of coarse see we're we go from there. But if I remember correctly we saw a lot of blocking this time last year from the output and we all know how that ended. 

The difference being we knew what to expect this time last year especially with the strong El Nino that was expected. This year not so clear, completely different set up this year

• Like 3

Posted

No sign of any change to atlantic domination,the longer a pattern persists,the longer it can take to break down ,looking forward to the next updates from glosea5 and ecm monthly models,are we on the cusp of something truly exceptional and unusual this winter,a once in a lifetime event ,maybe :-) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The GFS model can be incredible at times. 

At day 10 we have a well formed surface cold pool over Europe..

Rtavn2407.gif

At day 15 we have a completely dead Atlantic with no sub-1000mb low and a northerly..

Rtavn3601.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
3 hours ago, Singularity said:

I'm struggling to comprehend the ramifications of such persistent and extensive poleward transport of warm air with some wave breaking into the stratosphere while the vortex is only in its early days. The below two charts show warming appearing first at 10 hPa and then 1 hPa by the end of the GFS 12z. Extremely speculative at this range of course - but interesting to note the possibilities at hand when there are such extreme blocking anomalies coupled with tropical cyclones transporting extra heat and moisture toward the high latitudes.

Superb post Singularity.  The bit in bold is potentially really important. Given the now regular huge arctic summer ice loss the rules of the game have changed and we are into somewhat uncharted territory (as per Steve M's must read post in the 'Winter Thought's' thread).  The next 3-4 weeks are, in my humble opinion, going to dictate where winter goes.  If HLB comes to fruition in line with some predictions, the PV is going to be shunted away from its usual position (for the last couple of winters at least) and potential for extended cold for the UK is on the cards. However, if the PV does reform and migrate back west, we could be in for another mild and wet one.  

Whilst my normal optimism has been tempered massively by the last three dreadful winters (from a coldie's point of view), I really think we could be on the cusp of something quite extreme. As always, Netweather is going to be the place to watch the drama unfold.  It's going to be emotional!

• Like 9

Posted

The next couple of days sees the depression currently just west of Ireland track slowly north and fill. Today a band of rain, perhaps heavy at times, currently over the south west will move NE during the day. Windy but relatively warm with the wind in the southerly quadrant. Tomorrow less wet but chances of showers.

accumprecip_d02_25.png1hourprecip_d02_9.pngtemperature_d02_10.png

As already noted the low has filled adjacent to Scotland but is reinforced by another upper low winging in from Canada which tracks SE to become a cut off low over Germany/Poland and en passant bringing some wet.showery weather on Tuesday particularly to the north.

gfs_z500a_natl_18.png

In the wake of the passage of the low we see brief ridging NE from the Azores which should give a nice quiet few days before the Atlantic girds it's loins in with a cold plunge from Greenland in the form of a negatively tilted trough which will slowly erode the ridge and impact the UK by the weekend.

gfs_z500a_natl_25.png

How much this impacts the UK is still very much open to debate as the upper trough deconstructs and causes a certain amount of surface mayhem. Best left for another day.

gfs_6hr_precip_eur3_34.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

Day 10 on the ECM would be a pretty impressive snowstorm in the south if we were in January - this is the end of October though, just wet and windy, but will still feel cold. 

IMG_3245.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
10 hours ago, Singularity said:

I'm struggling to comprehend the ramifications of such persistent and extensive poleward transport of warm air ...... (snipped)

With apologies to mods for being a little off topic, there's a very interesting report suggesting that the Northern Hemisphere 'cold pool' of 850 hPa air (measured as the area within the -5C isotherm) has been shrinking for the last 66 years. If I'm reading the abstract correctly, the current synoptics we are watching playing out look like being a primary cause of the shrinkage, i.e. a displaced and meandering jet and more storms being driven poleward.

"Systematic poleward encroachment of the −5°C isotherm in the exit regions of the storm tracks accounts for nearly 50% of the observed contraction of the hemispheric wintertime cold pool since 1948. It is suggested that this trend is linked to displacement of the storm tracks associated with global warming".

So these events might be good news in displacing cold air towards the mid latitudes (short term gain) but bad for future prospects (long term pain)??

Abstract here, but full report behind a paywall. http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00496.1

• Like 6

Posted
On 14 October 2016 at 19:02, Man With Beard said:

It's cropping up in different places but I'm seeing lots of HLB on recent runs - GFS op, 1050mb over Iceland, surely a collector's item!

Just to note that 1050mb has now cropped up at the end of the ECM run over Greenland:)

Edited by Matthew Wilson
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
14 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

spectacular GFS & GEM ( not to mention ECM was similar at 240 )

**IF** this varifies we are looking at a tanked -AO at around the 28th of October just days before the curtains raise for November AO stats...

the key period is 168- 216 getting enough greenland heights up against that low to reverse the 60N circultation-

goodbye zonal wind !

IMG_8628.PNG

yep and ecm today has on offer a neg ao and nao start to november garden path perhaps but a chart certainly would open the flood gates further on.

09/10 winter had 1050mb blocking alot and stratospheric warmings can we get a 1060mb block im containing my excitement but soon as the low solar activity through out this year stayed very low and the increased power of the hurricaine season amongst other things it wouldnt surprise me if this winter is more exciting than the last few at least. 

ECM1-240.gif

Edited by MR EXTREMES
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
8 hours ago, Steve Murr said:

a couple of cherrypickers from the 18z

IMG_8633.PNG

IMG_8634.PNG

this reminds me of 09/10 how that began.

trouble is with charts like these is most of the time we come close only for it all to be shunted east...

but these charts are ver much 09/10 like with arctic blast that then goes northeasterly then easterly  but there fair few exciting charts being thrown out but im going to stay on the fence until its within t96 at least.

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Just to note that 1050mb has now cropped up at the end of the ECM run over Greenland:)

a reminder that ECM is notorious for over amplifying towards the end of its OP runs. This high is built in the back of a system tracking north in ne America and dragging some impressive WAA up the GIN sea. 

the op runs will continue to play with scenarios like this whilst the background ens anomolys stay like this.  In two weeks , GEFS has the mean vortex just north of the aleutians but with a fair spread over the Arctic. Still little appetite for Canada/Greenland to become home for the fledgling chap. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
56 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Day 10 on the ECM would be a pretty impressive snowstorm in the south if we were in January - this is the end of October though, just wet and windy, but will still feel cold. 

IMG_3245.PNG

Yup like last week it's a case of right set-up wrong time of year

Recm2402.gif

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.

The GFS model and the ECMWF model show a low over NW Northern Ireland bringing moderate SW winds and cool temperatures to all parts of the UK tomorrow and a low over the Faroe Islands bringing moderate W winds and cool temperatures to all parts of the UK on Tuesday.

gfs-0-24.png gfs-1-24.png gfs-0-48.png gfs-1-48.png ECM1-24.GIF?16-12 ECM0-24.GIF?16-12 ECM1-48.GIF?16-12 ECM0-48.GIF?16-12

Edited by Grimers
  • Like 2