Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.
On 10/9/2016 at 12:05, knocker said:

He also mentioned low pressure to the south west so i can envisage some warm south westerly zephyrs. He also added the caveat best wait for the November outputs.

I thought that low pressure to the SW brought SE winds from the continent meaning colder and drier conditions, certainly not winds from the tropical maritime air mass.

Edited by Grimers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
35 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

i wouldn't worry about short term variations for now, tentative good news is, from ian ferguson, the EC seasonal is showing HP anomalies over Greenland/N-NW of the UK. from november right through to february!

back to now, how will the track of TS Matthew affect the models now it is predicted to travel east into the Atlantic rather than curve back to the Bahamas?

at201614.gif

Post-Tropical. Most of the tropical energy is already being siphoned off. 

Nicole is the one to watch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

would seem the winter rutting season is already here amongst a few members!!! anyway looking at the current set up things look calm and very pleasent

high pressure seems in control and typical autmn fair.the nhp and pv look to be going hammer and tongs to dominate but it looks a stand off atm.interesting looking as a novice at the qbo and enso ete and where that will go heading into winter? mild or cold who nos and the struggle the pros are having should be an indicator that its up in the air!!! chill and enjoy,whatever the weather

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Again a reminder that this the Model discussion thread everyone.There are threads to expand on Winter prospects so please all let's get back on topic.

Thanks.:)

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Its great having this forum gang ,good learning area some very sensible posts etc ,and i would just remind many of us including myself ,10DAYS ahead is a long time in chart forecasting so looking ahead 3/4 months is a minefield ,but still very interesting ,looking at current Data a good week ahead but low pressure moving in i feel ,cheers all :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 hour ago, Grimers said:

I thought that low pressure to the south west brought SE winds from the continent meaning colder and drier conditions, certainly not winds from the tropical maritime air mass.

It can mean both William so you are right.:)

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Grimers said:

I thought that low pressure to the south west brought SE winds from the continent meaning colder and drier conditions, certainly not winds from the tropical maritime air mass.

Well it all does depend on where the upper low sets up shop and thus the surface low as can be seen on the latest GFS run so as to stay on topic. If that drifts SE then the wind will back SE and be rTm and in this context one must keep in mind sea temps around the UK being above average.

gfs_z500a_natl_31.pnggfs_6hr_precip_eur3_31.pngcfs_anom_tmpsfc_eur_201612_56.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted

Yes I always look forward to this time of year when the SST's start to slowly fall!:santa-emoji:

The models show next midweek feeling chillier with strengthening ESEly winds with more showers for the east, some heavy and thundery with sunny spells between but the best of the sunshine and driest weather across the west of the uk but then a change to generally unsettled weather from the southwest by the end of the working week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Looking way further ahead, the EC seasonal has updated today. The GH500 anomalies throughout the winter are signalling fairly significant high-lat blocking. What I'm liking about this is that it's reasonably consistent with last month's run. Pinch of salt, definitely, but for coldies there is hope.

'Fergie weather' mentioned it yesterday in the E.N.S,O Thread 

"Indeed it did. Essentially it runs an consistent story through N-D-J-F of +ve GPH/MSLP anomalies to NW/N of UK; -ve ones to S/SW".

:santa-emoji:and in he's words he also said (below)

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Looking way further ahead, the EC seasonal has updated today. The GH500 anomalies throughout the winter are signalling fairly significant high-lat blocking. What I'm liking about this is that it's reasonably consistent with last month's run. Pinch of salt, definitely, but for coldies there is hope.

I think I hinted @ this with the October AO ( thus far ) supporting the follow on through the Winter...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hmm well the models are certainly heading towards a more unsettled mid-range outcome now.

UW144-21.GIF?09-18   gfs-0-144.png?12

Low pressure to our north west gets squeezed between heights to our north east and rising pressure in the Atlantic resulting in a trough developing close to the UK. There are differences in the location of this low, the UKMO has it over the UK, the GFS develops this over central/southern Europe before drifting it slowly towards us. Not a usual pattern again for October and certainly not the increasing westerly influence we would usually expect.

• Like 6

Posted

Cool and chance of heavy showers in the easterly midweek with England under the influence of the trough to the south and south east. Then the conduit from Canada comes into play with active troughs running around the Atlantic HP down over the UK portending an unsettled and quite wet weekend.

And right at the end of the run there is an Arctic plunge with a deep trough over the Baltic. :shok:

gfs_z500a_natl_13.pnggfs_z500a_natl_20.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Quite strong Greenland blocking at the end of the run

resize_ecm3.png

• Like 2

Posted

Although the form horse is for an unsettled end to the week ahead with a trough either over or close to the uk, I found a couple of GEFS 12z perturbations which show high pressure and there were others with HP close by so it won't necessarily be wet next weekend.

3_168_500mb.png

11_168_500mb.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Hmm well the models are certainly heading towards a more unsettled mid-range outcome now.

UW144-21.GIF?09-18   gfs-0-144.png?12

Low pressure to our north west gets squeezed between heights to our north east and rising pressure in the Atlantic resulting in a trough developing close to the UK. There are differences in the location of this low, the UKMO has it over the UK, the GFS develops this over central/southern Europe before drifting it slowly towards us. Not a usual pattern again for October and certainly not the increasing westerly influence we would usually expect.

I think there's been a number of unusual patterns this year and still no sign of depressions sweeping through the UK for the 2nd half October. This will be interesting for developments longer term.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm changing gear into cold ramper mode:santa-emoji:

The GEFS 12z perturbations show some chilly scenarios during late october and these indicate possible arctic maritime airmass heading our way.

4_360_850tmp.png

5_384_850tmp.png

• Like 6

Posted

A chilly feeling Ecm 12z this evening with a nagging Easterly flow for most of the week ahead and the other feature is the trough later in the week that sticks over the uk for several days..so, in the days ahead its cooler than average with sunshine and showers, the showers especially in the east with the best of the dry and sunny weather further west and then becoming more generally unsettled...certainly seasonal!:D

24_mslp850uk (1).png

48_mslp850uk (1).png

72_mslp850uk (1).png

96_mslp850uk (1).png

120_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp500.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

The Jet Stream seems to have stopped for the weekend on the ECM as the Low hardly moves:

IMG_0629.PNG

IMG_0630.PNG

Quite like the look of those charts, sunshine and showers during the day and then the possibility for some cold night time minima under slack winds. 

• Like 1