Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 01/09/2016

phil nw.

Posted

Signs for the last week of September remain a little half-hearted but certainly many options for another Azores push through NW Europe next weekend

ECM1-144.GIF?17-0  UW144-21.GIF?17-19

the angle particularly of the ECM could lead to another rather warm period - the GEFS shows many warm variations

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif

I suppose the curve-ball might be low heights over eastern Europe getting nearer than expected

gens-20-1-168.png

though this is a big outlier on the ensemble set. Odds more favouring the warmer direction

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

IF we can believe the GFS towards the end of its run Batten down the hatches  The Atlantic kicks in and throws Dart boards in our direction .

ECM keeps us fairly dry and with some fairly good temperatures any one taking a late break could do well .

Hoping the Azores high takes a break this winter but thats another story , take care all :yahoo:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

This morning ECM has a southwesterly or westerly flow throughout its run some deep lows could affect the UK on a couple of occasions but it no conveyor belt so far

Temperature around or maybe a touch above average throughout

Recm482.gifRecm962.gifRecm1442.gifRecm1922.gifRecm2402.gif

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

No real change so far for the coming week from the 12z runs. The UK again showing in a south westerly flow between low pressure towards the north west and the Azores high ridging across towards southern areas.

A few charts to illustrate

Day 3 from the UKMO and day 5 from the GFS

UW72-21.gifviewimage.png

the frontal systems quite active to the nw and weakening somewhat as they come se.

A couple of rainfall and pressure images -just snapshots-Tues and Fri as GFS sees things currently

tues..pngfri.png

Temperatures look close to normal overall,as ever warmest in the se where high teens.possibly 20c could well be reached most days.

A pretty normal late September pattern by the looks with quite benign weather for many away from the far north west.

• Like 7

Posted

Tonights charts certainly  carry on with quiet conditions and temp above normal ,perhaps becoming more unsettled later this month if gfs is on the ball ,so still plenty of grass cutting to come  take care all .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Morning output is still continuing along the same theme today - GFS is keen for an Azores high reload and a bit more warmth by day 9/10. Fairly benign really, better in the SE.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

As per the above GFS delivers a modestly warm end to September.

GEM has a bit more excitement..

Rgem2161.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

As per the above GFS delivers a modestly warm end to September.

GEM has a bit more excitement..

Rgem2161.gif

think you mean GFS has more excitement

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The GEM ends with a significant dartboard depression blasting through the UK:

gemnh-0-210.png?00

This is the result of a tropical storm forming on Friday hundreds of miles off the eastern seaboard, before it hitches a lift on the jet and arrives in the British Isles.

gemnh-0-120.png?00

The UKMO also has this feature and looks like it might carry on to a similar outcome:

UN120-21.GIF?19-06

The ECM makes less of it:

ECH1-120.GIF?19-12

...and the GFS doesn't have it at all:

gfsnh-0-120.png

GEFS don't seem interested either, but something to keep an eye on maybe.

• Like 4

Posted

ECM also follows the GFS suit in bringing some very warm air across the UK again by the end of the run (850s up around 15c again!) though less settled as the ridge doesn't build in as much. I guess much will depend on how the TD interacts once more, but either way I don't think it will be desperately unsettled. GEM looks well wide of the mark to me, as amazing as that low looks!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECM also follows the GFS suit in bringing some very warm air across the UK again by the end of the run (850s up around 15c again!) though less settled as the ridge doesn't build in as much. I guess much will depend on how the TD interacts once more, but either way I don't think it will be desperately unsettled. GEM looks well wide of the mark to me, as amazing as that low looks!

There were charts like that for Gaston and it just fizzled out, maybe Karl will do same.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Chart for the 240 ECM for those interested:

Recm2402.gif

These charts are coming up again and again for the end of the month. Perhaps humidity rather than heat will be the theme unless the high pushes further north. However the Atlantic is looking a lot more active now - albeit on a SW-NE axis so still a warmish pattern the further south and east one is - so I think high pressure is going to have its work cut out to get established right through the country.

I would also add a very alternative cluster is showing up on the GEFS ensembles, which shows low pressure barrelling through Scandinavia between T240 and T288 - the GFS 06Z is on the same page as this:

gfs-0-288.png?6

and of course the ECM op hinted that this might be its next step after D10, too:

ECM1-240.GIF?19-12

So possibly some warmer days to end September but could it then be all change for October, with pressure finally rising towards Iceland and a much cooler W to NW being permitted?

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 3

Posted

Keep it going Matt, nicely presented for experienced and less so is how I see your postings-thanks

It could be even more read come the 'silly season'-which we all know is getting closer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Pretty much a west or southwesterly flow throughout tonight's ECM the odd low gets close enough to bring some windier and wetter spells (Sunday could be the day to watch out for) but most pass to the north or west with temperatures around or a bit above average

Recm482.gifRecm962.gifRecm1442.gifRecm1922.gifRecm2402.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Must say tonight's Ecm is looking very amplified and increasingly benign, even possibly for parts of Scotland and N Ireland, as we go through next week owing to that huge swathe of high pressure down over Southern Europe which seemingly refuses to do a hike.  Can only hope at this early stage that this feature will not become a major player during the upcoming season. 

• Like 2

Posted

Morning campers

Much the same (again) today. All depends on how the high builds over the UK as to how nice it may or may not end up. GFS builds it in:

Rtavn2041.gif

Still there at 312, turning fairly warm too:

Rtavn3121.gif

• Like 3

Posted

ECM has much more in the way of low pressure interaction - thus preventing the high from becoming as dominant as the GFS run. I guess as we move nearer the time these difference will be ironed out!

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like the high pressure finally after 3 weeks of control is giving up (?) and the power of Atlantic is coming back, Both ECMWF, GFS and GEM agree on this. Below normal temperature for the first week of October also

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

Looks like the high pressure finally after 3 weeks of control is giving up (?) and the power of Atlantic is coming back, Both ECMWF, GFS and GEM agree on this. Below normal temperature for the first week of October also

I'm not too sure about that - high pressure is still controlling things in that low pressure are taking a NE track away from the UK rather than ploughing through. There is plenty of energy there, just not totally in our direction at the moment.

Posted
16 hours ago, johnholmes said:

Keep it going Matt, nicely presented for experienced and less so is how I see your postings-thanks

It could be even more read come the 'silly season'-which we all know is getting closer.

Its great to have interesting postings on a forum which is the best and interesting around ,And yes the silly season will soon be upon us  ,wish we had this Forum 30/40 years ago  i could have saved money on Met office Fax charts being posted ,mind you still that uncertainty at five days out ,currently things i think becoming more mobile as October approaches ,its great to be able to look in more as family commitments have now improved with elderly relatives ,looking forward to the silly season ,cheers all .:cold:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
17 minutes ago, Faronstream said:

While in the short to medium term, yes things do look like becoming more autumnal with low pressure gaining the upper hand, especially so for more northwestern parts, I would have thought the opposite then again being the case as we near Oct with yet again high pressure taking up residence over the low countries. So admittedly while 24 hrs can be classed as a long ways off in terms of meteorology, let alone a week from now, I wouldn't care to hedge too many bets right now on your assertion of The High Pressure finally losing control.

PS very wise to have placed a question mark with that statement, as you did :) 

• Like 1