Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Talk of a 8-10ft surge in some areas with possible ground-gusts of 100mph. Seems like Hermine may have peaked, but still has a lot of force left within the system and feeder-bands. http://hurricanetrack.com/cam2.html

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

System peaked with 71KT (82mph) sustained winds, winds at flight level were around 90KT (103mph). Validated reports that the storm surge reached 10 feet with significant flooding and more than 100,000 people without power. 982mb.

radarlandfall.thumb.JPG.10b5507fd2a5db20

Apparently the camera i was watching at Cedar Key before bed took a hit from a floating pier that did not survive which i thought quite amusing. Apparently somebody recorded it so i'll post when the guy does. 

All in all a pretty pleasing system in the end and one which was strengthening right up to landfall. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

So is this actually a hurricane? as I thought it had to be 74 mph at ground level ( not flight level) to be classified as a true hurricane.

Either way hope not to much damage was done and that nobody was hurt! 

But I have a feeling the media have over hyped this a lot, and questions will be asked why this storm was classified as a hurricane, as buoy data show peak average wind speeds in the gulf of Mexico of around 50 mph not 74!

I'm gonna do a little but more digging.

Posted
2 hours ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

So is this actually a hurricane? as I thought it had to be 74 mph at ground level ( not flight level) to be classified as a true hurricane.

But I have a feeling the media have over hyped this a lot, and questions will be asked why this storm was classified as a hurricane, as buoy data show peak average wind speeds in the gulf of Mexico of around 50 mph not 74!

NHC had it officially at 80mph for landfall.

Twitter feed of someone covering the storm - during and after videos included.

https://twitter.com/Heather_Lacy1

She looked a lot better prior to landfall than what I expected.

3o7TKOjDKETgYayj0A.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

In the grand scheme of things it's nothing - a Cat 1 would normally warrant very little if any attention in Florida. It's just the exceptional 'hurricane drought' they've had that has made people pay more attention to it. 

There are many people who have moved to Florida in recent years who have no experience of a major hurricane. They'll be in for a shock when Florida is eventually hit by a Cat 3+ storm, which it will be sooner or later. The Miami area has 14 year recurrence rate of major hurricanes, which is the highest in the US. Andrew in '92 was a beast and Wilma in '05 was pretty bad too. Only a matter of time I'm afraid to say.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Christchurch storm nut said:

71KT confirmed is 82mph so yeah, it was a hurricane. 

Since windspeeds are not distributed in a system equally it's not a shock that a buoy may have missed the strongest winds. Additionally, the technology used by reconnaissance flights is more accurate. 

• Like 1

Posted

That's not a good forecast with it being Labour day weekend. The beaches and barrier islands will be packed with visitors on what is traditionally the last big beach holiday of summer. Some of the models stall it there for quite some time too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Flocks of birds were spotted in the eye of this storm on Doppler Radar, presumably taking refuge. You can clearly see the eye in the top left reflectivity image. For those not quite familiar with dual-polarisation products, the bottom left is the correlation co-efficient which is essentially how similar all the things the radar sees are to each other in that area. You can see the rain bands are around 100% as all it sees is raindrops, but in the eye you can see clusters of much lower values, indicating that there are objects of all different shapes and sizes – birds! The bottom right is the Differential Reflectivity (ZDR), which is basically the difference between the horizontal and vertical pulses of the radar (hence the name dual-polarisation). Positive values indicate objects of greater horizontal size than vertical, again likely to be birds.

I wish the Met Office would give us this stuff...

14241408_1181596911912763_63182153924501

• Like 1