Cold?
IGNORED

SNOW & ICE coverage in the Northern Hemisphere 2016/17

SMU

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

mainbasin.jpeg

Whooop!!!  :cold:

This probably is aimed more at the model aficionados, but unlike last year, it appears to me at least that we are seeing a lot more in the way of Scandi blocking compared with this time last year..? Hopefully, a good omen for the Winter coming.

Edited by Gavin Hannah
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
12 minutes ago, myleon73 said:

Where is today's movement?.

In the loo. I've been eating lots of fibre :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Steady (but rapid) build of snow and indeed ice in the past week, good to see the snow stretching into Scandinavia too. :D

Tuesday 11th October:

ims2016285_asiaeurope.gif

Tuesday 18th October:

ims2016292_asiaeurope.gif

Does anyone have a link to the archives of snow and ice coverage? I'd like to go back and investigate and compare the evolution of the recent colder winters to this season so far (2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2012/2013).

Thanks!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
20 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Steady (but rapid) build of snow and indeed ice in the past week, good to see the snow stretching into Scandinavia too. :D

Tuesday 11th October:

Tuesday 18th October:

Does anyone have a link to the archives of snow and ice coverage? I'd like to go back and investigate and compare the evolution of the recent colder winters to this season so far (2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2012/2013).

Thanks!

good to see the snow in Scandinavia ,i think this is of more importance to us than a good cover in siberia etc think 2009 didnt have extensive eurasia cover but did have good cover in the northern latitudes and Scandinavia.not sure huge eurasian snowcover and subsequent huge high pressure aids us greatly,still learning but arent we all with this one  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
10 minutes ago, drm said:

good to see the snow in Scandinavia ,i think this is of more importance to us than a good cover in siberia etc think 2009 didnt have extensive eurasia cover but did have good cover in the northern latitudes and Scandinavia.not sure huge eurasian snowcover and subsequent huge high pressure aids us greatly,still learning but arent we all with this one  

Icy cold pack-ice clogged seas extending south over the Norwegian Sea and into the NE Atlantic would also help encourage high-pressure to the north of Britain. This would also shift the temperature gradients vital for storm tracks into lower latitudes and this would also be good for the chances of more easterly and northerly winds over Britain: Unfortunately precious little sign of that at present! 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Tuesday 11th October:

Tuesday 18th October:

Thanks!

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/snow-cover/ea/20161001-20161008

• Like 1

Posted

Past 14 days of Europe/Asia Ice/Snowfall pretty amazing how some of that is filling in so quickly and watching the ice-cap grow. :)

past 13 days.gif

• Like 9

Posted

Is there a link between AO and Eurasian snow cover during Autumn? What I mean is, if the AO is negative how does that impact on snowcover? Does it help or hinder it? What about AO? Is there any correlation or link between them, or is there no concluding evidence? I know Steve Murr has already looked at Octobers with a -AO and what that means for the winter months, but what about the impact of that on snowcover?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 hours ago, Frozen Britain said:

Is there a link between AO and Eurasian snow cover during Autumn? What I mean is, if the AO is negative how does that impact on snowcover? Does it help or hinder it? What about AO? Is there any correlation or link between them, or is there no concluding evidence? I know Steve Murr has already looked at Octobers with a -AO and what that means for the winter months, but what about the impact of that on snowcover?

Rapid snow gain south of 60N in October is correlated with a -AO in winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
14 hours ago, iapennell said:

Icy cold pack-ice clogged seas extending south over the Norwegian Sea and into the NE Atlantic would also help encourage high-pressure to the north of Britain. This would also shift the temperature gradients vital for storm tracks into lower latitudes and this would also be good for the chances of more easterly and northerly winds over Britain: Unfortunately precious little sign of that at present! 

The Norwegian Sea has no ice cover throughout the year and probably hasn't for the past 8000 years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Yarmy said:

The Norwegian Sea has no ice cover throughout the year and probably hasn't for the past 8000 years.

I think Ian knows that to be fair. Remember, he is the sort of chap who (quite brilliantly) thinks of extreme scenarios, like slowing or reversing the rotation of the earth. It is all a bit of fun.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
14 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

I think Ian knows that to be fair. Remember, he is the sort of chap who (quite brilliantly) thinks of extreme scenarios, like slowing or reversing the rotation of the earth. It is all a bit of fun.

Well he's implying that it's the only way we'll get HP to the N of Britain which is patently false, as indeed the past week has shown. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Yarmy said:

I'm not so sure.

I have some WW2 books and they have some Admiralty sea charts from the war in there, and they show maximum Winter sea ice extending into the Norwegian Sea. 

Posted
8 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Rapid snow gain south of 60N in October is correlated with a -AO in winter.

But on the the other hand nature is quite capable of making things go  boobies up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Just out of interest and for a bit of fun, I thought I would compare how today's Snow and Ice coverage compares to the equivalent day in 2010 (which was around 5 weeks before the snow kicked in).

Interestingly there is quite a difference, 2010 had far more sea ice than this year, but far less snow over Eurasia and Canada than we're seeing now .  The snow line this year is also much further south with the 60N line being breached already in several locations and approaching 45N in Mongolia.  Can't profess to know if this is going to pan out in favour of those looking for cold, but it certainly seems positive at the moment.  

2016 SI.gif

2010.gif

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 7

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Just out of interest and for a bit of fun, I thought I would compare how today's Snow and Ice coverage compares to the equivalent day in 2010 (which was around 5 weeks before the snow kicked in).

Interestingly there is quite a difference, 2010 had far more sea ice than this year, but far less snow over Eurasia and Canada than we're seeing now .  The snow line this year is also much further south with the 60N line being breached already in several locations and approaching 45N in Monolia.  Can't profess to know if this is going to pan out in favour of those looking for cold, but it certainly seems positive at the moment.  

2016 SI.gif

2010.gif

It may mean winter will kick in a couple of weeks earlier this year :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 hour ago, blizzard81 said:

It may mean winter will kick in a couple of weeks earlier this year :)

Of course it does, I should have made the connection.  Right, I'm taking the 15th November off work to enjoy the blizzard!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Of course it does, I should have made the connection.  Right, I'm taking the 15th November off work to enjoy the blizzard!

I booked off the 7th so probably a week too early ha ha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
5 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

12 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

5 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I booked off the 7th so probably a week too early ha ha.

Yeah, well I'll probably have to take a couple of days off work mid Nov as there 2 'in service days' at our youngest's school. Just don't make the blizzard then as it's a waste of a potential extra day off work 

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, Yarmy said:

Well he's implying that it's the only way we'll get HP to the N of Britain which is patently false, as indeed the past week has shown. 

No he isn't, he is clearly being tongue in cheek and indulging his rather interesting take on extreme scenarios. He said "Icy cold pack-ice clogged seas extending south over the Norwegian Sea and into the NE Atlantic would also help encourage high-pressure to the north of Britain" (my emphasis). Hardly what you're suggesting. Give the man a break and stop taking yourself so seriously. Sometimes it is ok to have fun :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Here is the latest snow and ice chart for Thursday.

Snow & Ice Chart Asia & Europe Thursday October 20 2016.gif

• Like 3