Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SNOW & ICE coverage in the Northern Hemisphere 2016/17

SMU

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
26 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Snowiest city on earth is not far from there. Think we'd need a few December 2010's to match that!

Indeed. Asahikawa is right up there as a very snowy city indeed. Snowing right now looking at the current conditions. According to Wikipedia "The city also sees an extraordinary amount of snowfall, averaging just under 7.6 m (25 ft) of snow per year."

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

there were 2 mega storms in Jan 1977 that would have been snowfests, have look at the chart archive on this site

BFTP

Late Jan 1978 had the great Highland blizzard (as Rabs pictures) which lead to many stories of blocked roads and railways. My brother was stuck at Loch Morlich for 5 days. Most famously the man who sold ladies underwear who was stuck in his car for days but survIved by wearing multiple layers of his samples in the car. This blizzard only really effected the Central Highlands and far North. In mid February there was the West Country blizzard also with huge drifts over the moors in particular. In between  but forgotten between these two major storms an Easterly gave over a foot of snow on the East coast all the way from Angus to Newcastle. 

• Like 1

Posted

This is from February 1978,by this stage a huge amount of snow had build up over higher ground and every time the wind picked up roads were blocked repeatedly by large drifts.
In those days the snow clearing kit was not as good as now - they had snow blowers which only cleared about 4 feet width - and worked very slowly when depths were above your head.
The oversized plough fitted  to a WW2 American 4x4 truck could often barge a way through but left an awful mess, if it did get stuck as here it was a nightmare involving much shovelling.

You can see where the snow blower had thrown a line further away from the road.

gallery_6987_735_105981.jpg

If it gets like this now they have compact 4x4 JCB shovels - hiring in contractors if need be -  and work constantly to push back the banks.
This stops the route getting ever more deeply entrenched between huge snowplough banks.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
11 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Late Jan 1978 had the great Highland blizzard (as Rabs pictures) which lead to many stories of blocked roads and railways. My brother was stuck at Loch Morlich for 5 days. Most famously the man who sold ladies underwear who was stuck in his car for days but survIved by wearing multiple layers of his samples in the car. This blizzard only really effected the Central Highlands and far North. In mid February there was the West Country blizzard also with huge drifts over the moors in particular. In between  but forgotten between these two major storms an Easterly gave over a foot of snow on the East coast all the way from Angus to Newcastle. 

Pete (Ed Stone) mentioned Jan 1977 re Huddersfield being on news and buried in snow. I believe he's right I'll try and post the chart

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Sorry guys - tried to post tweet and it went wrong. Time to check out the help pages (or maybe a head's up from someone?).

Edited by Blessed Weather

Posted
On 3 November 2016 at 14:44, weirpig said:

Not amazing  However i believe winter 76-77 had cert of 1.8 for December 2.1 for January. 3.6 for Feb.   So not that bad.

Winter 1976-77 was  one of those winters that had a wintrier first half than the second half. I often cite it as an example where it was colder pre SSW than after.

February had a CET of 5.2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Winter 1976-77 was  one of those winters that had a wintrier first half than the second half. I often cite it as an example where it was colder pre SSW than after.

February had a CET of 5.2

That winter saw a Canadian warming in November - probably what led to the cold December and January. As you say, sometimes the bona fide SSW can actually shake up the stratosphere to a profile less favourable for the UK location.

Interesting to note that the 10mb stratosphere profile for November 1976 is very similar to what is predicted in the modelling for the coming period. Is it the high October snow response or is the snow in October responding to circulation anomalies in the atmosphere.

6983cc3d25da54e90247ca90d6720e47.png

• Like 5

Posted
39 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Sorry guys - tried to post tweet and it went wrong. Time to check out the help pages (or maybe a head's up from someone?).

Usually you can just highlight everything in the tweet and copy then paste it in with surprising results - but it doesn't always work might be browser dependant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
17 hours ago, 4wd said:

Usually you can just highlight everything in the tweet and copy then paste it in with surprising results - but it doesn't always work might be browser dependant.

Thank you 4wd. Unfortunately I still can't get a copy & paste or embed of the tweet to work (using Firefox), so I've reverted to a good old fashioned screen grab which is below.

I thought it worth reproducing this tweet from Cohen about this October, saying it's the first time he's measured snow extent south of 60N growing faster than north of 60N. It seems to confirm the extraordinary October in the Arctic discussed earlier in the thread (lowest ever sea ice and +5C SST's).

Judah Cohen tweet 04 Nov 2016.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Scandinavia virtually covered. *jealous face*

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Yes winter has arrived very early over NW Russia and Scandanavia this year, current conditions are more akin to what you may expect mid Dec rather than early November, with persistent sub freezing temps. Current level of coverage beating large portions of winter 13/14 and 15/16. The extensive coverage over Scandi likely to feedback in the shape of any scandi height developments being more robust than would be expected in Nov and probably Dec, as we are about to see over the coming days.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes winter has arrived very early over NW Russia and Scandanavia this year, current conditions are more akin to what you may expect mid Dec rather than early November, with persistent sub freezing temps. Current level of coverage beating large portions of winter 13/14 and 15/16. The extensive coverage over Scandi likely to feedback in the shape of any scandi height developments being more robust than would be expected in Nov and probably Dec, as we are about to see over the coming days.

As it stands to this date, its probably beating every year of recorded obs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest weekly sea ice extent update is here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
7 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Thank you 4wd. Unfortunately I still can't get a copy & paste or embed of the tweet to work (using Firefox), so I've reverted to a good old fashioned screen grab which is below.

I thought it worth reproducing this tweet from Cohen about this October, saying it's the first time he's measured snow extent south of 60N growing faster than north of 60N. It seems to confirm the extraordinary October in the Arctic discussed earlier in the thread (lowest ever sea ice and +5C SST's).

Judah Cohen tweet 04 Nov 2016.jpg

Very interesting.  Tipping point for me this and next year. I think we have a very notable NH winter ahead

BFTP

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The current snow cover in Europe strongly reminds me of November 2010..

ims2010315_asiaeurope.gif

It's also the same winter when the Baltic Sea almost froze over entirely.

ims2011055_asiaeurope.gif

After December 2010, that winter was rather disappointing in the UK and Western Europe generally speaking, but it did not abate in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia - the snow in cities like Stockholm and Helsinki lay on the ground for 5 months. 

They probably don't want a repeat this winter!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
7 hours ago, cheese said:

The current snow cover in Europe strongly reminds me of November 2010..

ims2010315_asiaeurope.gif

There are certainly similarities to 2010, but snow cover over Eurasia is significantly ahead this year in comparison

2010.gif2016.gif

Seeing Scandi totally covered already is an unusual sight for 7 November, certainly in recent years.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Current forecast indicates the snow cover will push west into Poland tomorrow. In London at the moment but will check webcams and report back to the forum. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
46 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Rejoice, we have a Scottish pixel !! :cold:

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Tomorrow, parts of England will have more snow than parts of Northwest Alaska. That's a bit wrong. :shok:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Comparing 2015 to this year is interesting viewing, while the snow couldn't be more different in Europe the level in Canada actually seems to have fallen and the ice? Well the images speak for themselves.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gifims2015311_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Current forecast indicates the snow cover will push west into Poland tomorrow. In London at the moment but will check webcams and report back to the forum. 

You Might like this addition to meteociel

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=16&ech=6&carte=1

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
10 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Cheers BA, have been viewing that one with interest already. Nice little tool isn't it? Will need to do some testing for accuracy this year but accurate measure of snow cover can be difficult.

Posted
2 hours ago, Seasonality said:

Cheers BA, have been viewing that one with interest already. Nice little tool isn't it? Will need to do some testing for accuracy this year but accurate measure of snow cover can be difficult.

it will only be as accurate as the gfs precip charts !!!!