Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SNOW & ICE coverage in the Northern Hemisphere 2016/17

SMU

Posted
11 hours ago, Mucka said:

If this is right there was actually a lot of sea ice melt over the last 24h or so.

prvsnow_alaska.gifcursnow_alaska.gif

Had a quick look at the records, didn't see any loss and seems to be steadily increasing still.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Today's chart:

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest weekly sea ice extent update is here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

The latest Snow and Ice chart: Good progress so far and I hope that it continues this way

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Edited by Katrine Estella
adding date of image
  • Like 1

Posted

mapgen_dn.png

There has been plenty of snow advance over the last couple of Octobers but this one is different in that the really big positive anomalies are down below the sixty degrees north latitude. This was always mooted as being most important - we'll see soon enough if it lives up to the theory.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_vis.php?ui_year=2016&ui_month=10&ui_set=2

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Yes Nouska,

a far more pronounced growth in the advance of the annual snow fields north of 60, however i feel that this year we could see this reach 55 north.

Would love it to reach a lower latitude posibly 50 north but thats dream land at present

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 30/10/2016 at 11:18, bryan629 said:

Just in case anyone was wondering how deep the snow is in Siberia :cold::cold:

Oops I think my 16 year old is in for a very big shook later this month and early December.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.
44 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Snow spreading rapidly into Eastern Europe now.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

The snow advance is looking absolutely top notch. Here's hoping that all that snow will create a feedback / knock on effect that works in our favor this winter. 2009 & 2010 are fast becoming distant memories now and I think it's about time we got the roll of the dice!

• Like 6

Posted

For everyone not already following Judah Cohen, follow him on twitter so he will release his magical snow advance index

Posted
27 minutes ago, Mark N said:

Talk about trying to get more followers! I respect Judah Cohen and the work he puts in for winter forecasting etc but to get so many followers to release his thoughts is ridiculous, hate this type of social media. 

Not a fan myself but I am curious to know and following someone on twitter is cheap and easy

• Like 3

Posted

Whenever there has been good coverage 60N below in previous years there has always been a dominant teleconnection which appears to have stopped his theory from working (El Nino, wQBO etc) so as for this winter there isn't a dominant factor in any area, if his theory doesn't work this winter then I'm sorry to say it's going in the bin.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Just thought I'd benchmark today versus the same day in 2010 (our last proper winter snowfall, in the SE anyway).  The differences are quite incredible.

2010.gif  2016.gif

There is significantly more snowfall this year than 2010 but sea ice is still lagging behind.  It would appear simplistically that this is a positive sign for those wishing for cold weather. It's going to be fascinating watching the next few weeks unfold, but my early season optimism for a 'seasonal' winter is still very much intact.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow
2 hours ago, Ice Day said:

Just thought I'd benchmark today versus the same day in 2010 (our last proper winter snowfall, in the SE anyway).  The differences are quite incredible.

2010.gif  2016.gif

There is significantly more snowfall this year than 2010 but sea ice is still lagging behind.  It would appear simplistically that this is a positive sign for those wishing for cold weather. It's going to be fascinating watching the next few weeks unfold, but my early season optimism for a 'seasonal' winter is still very much intact.

I'm on the fence with this one mate, what we have seen through this autumn is a very disorganised vortex therefore allowing the colder air to sink south and giving Russia and Eastern Europe a winter taster. I really hope it's a thrend for the winter ahead but with signs of the vortex becoming a little more organised it wouldn't take much this early snow advance to melt. Early days but it's a great start. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ice Day said:

2010.gif  2016.gif

I'm still not fully convinced on the snowfall theory to be fair, yes snow on the ground with cold upper airs on top in a slack flow in particular will be hard to shift but if the jet stream positions itself correctly, then it can be blasted away in a matter of days.

However if the pattern does not change and the cold gets stronger and stronger then it could be interesting. On a UK POV, its Scandinavia I would be most interested in having snow cover as an easterly over a snow cover Scandi would more likely bring colder air than say if it was lacking in snow cover.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

I am not convinced at all about this Cohen theory,actually I think the large Siberian high deflects the vortex towards Greenland and Canada and that the early cold in EuroAsia kind of exhaust itself too early,if anything I would prefer Scandi be much above average,but it isnt, see attached snow cover extent by year, I don't see any statistical correlation,much the opposite many years with abnormally large extent followed by mild winters,like past 3 years

screenshot-2016-11-02-16-36-04.jpg

screenshot-2016-11-02-16-43-02.jpg

Edited by jules216

Posted

Eurasian snow cover advance in graphic format.

CwStiNdWEAQFOA5.jpg

Image courtesy of Ant Masiello twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/antmasiello

Difficult for old eyes to sort out the dates but suffice to say it is a long time since it went above the the 20m square kilometres.

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring
1 hour ago, Nouska said:

Eurasian snow cover advance in graphic format.

CwStiNdWEAQFOA5.jpg

Image courtesy of Ant Masiello twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/antmasiello

Difficult for old eyes to sort out the dates but suffice to say it is a long time since it went above the the 20m square kilometres.

Biggest week 44 advance in 40 years, if nothing else that is impressive. Just have to wait and see if, along with other parameters, it is significant in terms of cold to our shores.

Posted

Quick question.  Has data ever be compiled of the various states of teleconnection drivers during our most severe winters.  For example MJO, ENSO, QBO, GWO, NAO, AO, PNA to name a few and then other factors collated and compared such as sea ice extent, snow coverage across Eurasia in October, SST anomalies, SSW and general stratospheric variables.  If every one of these teleconnection drivers were known in addition to the other variables mentioned and calculated to produce a composite could this not be an effective way to compare with past years and help us to produce a long range forecast?

• Like 2