Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SNOW & ICE coverage in the Northern Hemisphere 2016/17

SMU

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
11 hours ago, Seasonality said:

No he isn't, he is clearly being tongue in cheek and indulging his rather interesting take on extreme scenarios. He said "Icy cold pack-ice clogged seas extending south over the Norwegian Sea and into the NE Atlantic would also help encourage high-pressure to the north of Britain" (my emphasis). Hardly what you're suggesting. Give the man a break and stop taking yourself so seriously. Sometimes it is ok to have fun :)

A negative phase shift of the winter AO/NAO due to the recent Arctic sea-ice reduction in late autumn

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014JD022848/full

Temperature data reveal that a reduced (increased) sea-ice area in November leads to more negative (positive) phases of the AO and NAO in early and late winter, respectively. 

Which is the precise opposite of what he is claiming (on multiple threads). And redirecting asteroids into Antarctica in an attempt to combat climate change is not an interesting take on anything.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

SAI index running at second highest level to date. 

• Like 4

Posted
10 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

SAI index running at second highest level to date. 

Sorry,but what does that mean.Thanks 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!
8 hours ago, joggs said:

Sorry,but what does that mean.Thanks 

If I'm not mistaken its the Snow Advancing Index (or close to that lol) and it tracks the amount of snow in Siberia. @summer blizzard will be able to explain in detail.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

If I'm not mistaken its the Snow Advancing Index (or close to that lol) and it tracks the amount of snow in Siberia. @summer blizzard will be able to explain in detail.

Pretty much!

in short - it's a measure by Judah Cohen of how quickly snow cover advances from east to west across the Eurasian landmass south of 60N through October.  

This significance being that some of Cohen's work has shown correlation between the rate of advance of snowcover and the Arctic Oscillation (AO) during the following winter - namely the quicker the snow advances, the more negative the AO in the winter that follows tends to be.

It should, however,  be noted that the correlation is far from perfect and a good SAI is not always a guarantee of a negative wintertime AO...which even in itself is not a guarantee of a cold winter for the UK necessarily. It certainly helps though!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest weekly Arctic sea ice extent update is here

• Like 2

Posted

I did a post a few years back on the relationship between Arctic sea ice extent and the winter CET, with some 500hPa charts and whatnot. You can read it here, might be relevant to some of the discussions in this thread.

• Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Latest weekly Arctic sea ice extent update is here

Looking at IMS Ice Extent Charts why is the current year rising quite quickly compared to the averages if the extent is at an almost all time low?  Simple explanation would be fine. 

Regards Snipper. 

• Like 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Looking at IMS Ice Extent Charts why is the current year rising quite quickly compared to the averages if the extent is at an almost all time low?  Simple explanation would be fine. 

Regards Snipper. 

Do you mind linking to the IMS charts in question? I though IMS only provided data through the melt season (March to September).

Posted
Just now, Snipper said:

Probably reading things erroneously. http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/

Yeah, that only goes to the end of September. There was a big increase in extent just after the minimum, which has slowed down massively in October.
The sea ice update I did at the start of October showed that September had the 3rd largest extent increase on record. But as the last update showed, the extent increase so far this month is the smallest on record.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:24, Yarmy said:

A negative phase shift of the winter AO/NAO due to the recent Arctic sea-ice reduction in late autumn

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2014JD022848/full

Which is the precise opposite of what he is claiming (on multiple threads). And redirecting asteroids into Antarctica in an attempt to combat climate change is not an interesting take on anything.

I see you missed the bit about harmless fun and not taking yourself too seriously :) I happen to enjoy Ian's posts, even though they are often outlandish. I'm not under any illusion that they are anything but JFF as the saying goes. No harm intended Yarmy.

Edited by Seasonality

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Whilst the march of snow westwards has stalled for a few days now, the sea ice has seen decent gains over the last 24 hours

prvsnow_asiaeurope.gif

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh

Alaska still has a way to go I see.

Still at least we have not lost any of the snow cover in eastern Russia.

Mods is beginning to heat up, I have my tin hat ready:hi:or should I upgrade to a steel one:pardon:

Edited by moorlander

Posted

There should be an expansion of snow West of the Urals and South of the Barents Sea over the weekend and through next week with snow forecast for Moscow, Helsinki and the Baltic States.

Getting closer!!

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

There should be an expansion of snow West of the Urals and South of the Barents Sea over the weekend and through next week with snow forecast for Moscow, Helsinki and the Baltic States.

Getting closer!!

Quite true, but around the Moscow area there is still a reasonable chance of snow melting in November. You aren't guaranteed to stay below freezing there at this time of the year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

If this is right there was actually a lot of sea ice melt over the last 24h or so.

prvsnow_alaska.gifcursnow_alaska.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
32 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Is that snow I see in Northern Germany??

GFSOPEU00_348_25_png_8e824454d8ff435c347fe8fe8fe929af.png

Yes it is, a dusting on most of Poland and then extending across northern Germany to the Dutch border.

• Like 1