Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

SNOW & ICE coverage in the Northern Hemisphere 2016/17

SMU

Posted
8 hours ago, feno13 said:

If you zoom in on the image this year is near on identical to 2005 , i believe that was a snowy winter .

Not really,it was cold at times but mainly dry tbh,the severe weather stayed across the channel and in East eu.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 1

Posted

Talking about my location only, Winter 2005/06 was by no means fantastic. In fact we never got a good snow event here during that Winter. There was however a good frosty period if I remember rightly in late December 2005. However as I say very little in the way of snow, except again if I remember rightly  we had a bit in late November 2005. But it didn't last long. I believe other parts of the country didn't do too badly. In fact again if I remember rightly I think that was the Winter that in February we had forecasts of heavy disruptive snow one day which in the end resulted in all day snowfall that refused to settle. I remember the depression and frustration that caused for me at the time. I guess for me and my location I would class it as something of a so close but no cigar type of Winter. Luckily the Winters of 2008/09 to 2012/13 (excluding 2011/12 really) more than made up for it.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow
  • Like 2

Posted

I always think a more important signal in terms of winter feedback impacts, is snow cover over scandinavia as we progress through autumn. A decent snow cover over Scandi by early November can feedback to higher heights over Norweigen Sea as we head into winter.  White over Lapland is what you want by November, not necessarily west russia..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
10 hours ago, karyo said:

Winter 2005/6 was dry and near average.

2004/5 was mild

November and December 04 were actually not too bad. Fairly zonal but high pressure did stick around to the south west deflecting the worst of it north and we did see a lot of topplers giving frost and snow showers (notable snow events on Nov 18th due to a wave forming on a cold front and Christmas). Jan 05 was mild and zonal but again worst in the north however Feb 05 did see the first proper easterly for years (albeit with a poor cold pool). 

Nov 05 after a mild start saw high pressure sit over the UK with a strong inversion for weeks, it was frosty but sunny and we got a northerly late on (gave snow to the south west). Dec-Feb was basically similar throughout with lots of high pressure, a lot of frosts, a lot of fog and a fair bit of sun, there was a short easterly between christmas and new year. Late Feb once again saw the easterly develop which got progressively worse as we went into March, we were on course for one of the coldest until around the 20th. 

Posted
42 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

Here's today's offering. More pixels in Norway and a huge dumping in Canada.

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif

Interesting graphic showing the eastern side of Canada to be a lot colder than the west. Yellowknife is still averaging above 0C temperatures at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
On 10/5/2016 at 21:31, Walsall Wood Snow said:

Talking about my location only, Winter 2005/06 was by no means fantastic. In fact we never got a good snow event here during that Winter. There was however a good frosty period if I remember rightly in late December 2005. However as I say very little in the way of snow, except again if I remember rightly  we had a bit in late November 2005. But it didn't last long. I believe other parts of the country didn't do too badly. In fact again if I remember rightly I think that was the Winter that in February we had forecasts of heavy disruptive snow one day which in the end resulted in all day snowfall that refused to settle. I remember the depression and frustration that caused for me at the time. I guess for me and my location I would class it as something of a so close but no cigar type of Winter. Luckily the Winters of 2008/09 to 2012/13 (excluding 2011/12 really) more than made up for it.

Winter 2005/06 was very disappointing IMBY after promising signs.  All three winters preceding it were somewhat milder but produced more snow.  I agree, it was very much a 'near miss' winter.

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty sure EC seasonal due out in the next few days, will be interesting to see with Winter fast approaching now.

Still hoping for a change in the QBO in the next few weeks.

As Steve posted,westward extent of snow cover quite west of normal, if anything i would imagine it might creep even further west as cold air moves south on the eastern flank of the scandy high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Couple of records have fallen in past few days over in Siberia: not sure what record going by this tweet, possibly earliest snowfall on record? Could be a sign on how well the snowfall is going over in Russia.

Edited by Bullseye
  • Like 4

Posted

The -AO is working wonders for the early advance of snow cover but it has the opposite effect on the Arctic ice which has almost completely stalled.

Another very worrying season for the Arctic if this continues.

Posted
22 hours ago, Bullseye said:

Couple of records have fallen in past few days over in Siberia: not sure what record going by this tweet, possibly earliest snowfall on record? Could be a sign on how well the snowfall is going over in Russia.

Looking @ where it is near the Kazakhstan border, I would have thought earliest snowfall...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Increase in sea ice extent for October so far.

z745rtd.png

Edited by BornFromTheVoid
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Latest weekly sea ice extent update is here

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
On 9/3/2016 at 17:03, Craig Cameron said:

likewise 2009/10 was pretty epic across all of Scotland, living in Glasgow at the time and it was the first i'd ever seen folk walking across the clyde, sub zero by day and shockingly by night for the town.  Driving up to the Island around late December was quite a trip especially heading towards Loch Glascarnoch.  Would be nice to have another 'proper' winter.

There was no way anyone walked across the Clyde in 2010 unless it was Henrik Larsson.

• Like 1

Posted

The central lakes had an alpine look to them in Jan 2010 and Dec 2010, Rydal Water, Grasmere, Thirlmere and Derwent Water all froze over solid, shallow bays in Ullswater as well. However, the last time shallow bays in Windermere froze was I think 1981/82, though conditions in Dec 2010 nearly saw a slight freezing over. The River Kent froze over for a brief period in Dec 2010 as well. The depth of cold was very notable, indeed ice began to appear as early as 9 December in 2010 - very early indeed.

I just hope one day to go ice skating on Lake Windermere - like they did in the winters of yesteryear - probability highly unlikely mind.. but you never know.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Given the current setup, why is Scotland (the highlands) not cold enough for snowfall on the mountains?? This perplexes me....

Edited by Gavin Hannah