Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Static caravan advice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Hello :)

As someone that loves holidays in static caravans, I'm seriously thinking about buying a second hand one somewhere in S/SW England or S Wales. Have been doing some research, on some Holiday Parks like Haven or Hoseasons, even pre-owned vans cost a fortune and then with all the site fees etc added on it's ridiculously expensive! Are there cheaper options? Someone I know suggested smaller parks that don't have a limit on ages of vans, they work out much cheaper. I'd love some advice if anyone has any experience in this area. Many thanks.

Posted

I'd advise against it, so many pitfalls longer term.
If you want to sell it later it will be the hardest thing imaginable.

Rent when you need one and you aren't tied to the same site.

• Like 1

Posted

My father-in-law owned one on a site where there was a rule that it had to be renewed periodically - I think every ten years. This was indeed what happened - making it a very expensive second home indeed. The worst of it was that there was some sort of back-hander going on too, between suppliers of the vans and the owner.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Thanks for the replies. The only way I'd be able to do it is by buying a cheaper 2nd hand van sited on a small private park, with low annual pitch/lease fees and no limit on the age of the van. Otherwise it's a no brainer, much better to buy a place in Spain, which might actually be worth more in years to come (plus weather is miles better). Shame about Brexit and the value of the pound though lol.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted

Also if the site changes hands you can find yourself in all sorts of trouble if the new owners want to make changes. Saw it happen at a site when I was renting long term while working on a contract.

• Like 1