Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer moans thread

Paul

Posted

A generally miserable day yesterday and feeling a bit autumnal in the wind today, but to be fair it's the first rain we've had in nearly three weeks.  After a pretty dire June (in the last few years only June 2012 was worse - that month was truly dreadful) the rest of the summer has so far been quite benign, with marginally above average temperatures and sunshine and very little rain, although as with the last few years we haven't had any heatwaves.  Overall it's been the reverse of last summer, which I would best describe as mediocre here - that started quite well (if a bit windy) then went gradually downhill, ending in a poor August with a washout last week.  If the predictions for a dry week next week hold, we would end up with a typical or even dare I say marginally better than average overall turnout for the season.

You can follow the stats for Reading at the university's weather station site (here in the town centre it's on average about half a degree warmer): http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking a bit better for us cave dwellers,no uncomfortable heat on offer.Fingers crossed the BH weekend is better than forecast,so so many depend on it. Weather preference regardless we need that to be a good one.....really hope it is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Well the strong winds have arrived here in the last hour, am already annoyed by them howling through the trees. No need at all in Summer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Very autumnal day

• Like 2

Posted

:nonono:forecast for my few days off around the BH now downgraded. Hmmph. Starting to feel summer is ending and that's always a low point for me..... But usually like autumn when it gets going.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
18 hours ago, Jon Somerset said:

:nonono:forecast for my few days off around the BH now downgraded. Hmmph. Starting to feel summer is ending and that's always a low point for me..... But usually like autumn when it gets going.

Did summer '16 actually arrive?  The past three months have been basically a cloudfest, at least during conventional waking/working hours.  That dratted grey lid that appears to be down to orographic lifting over the Mid Cheshire Ridge now our prevailing wind has shifted from SW to NW.  Of course our now permanent Autumn will continue unabated into September.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
45 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Did summer '16 actually arrive?  The past three months have been basically a cloudfest, at least during conventional waking/working hours.  That dratted grey lid that appears to be down to orographic lifting over the Mid Cheshire Ridge now our prevailing wind has shifted from SW to NW.  Of course our now permanent Autumn will continue unabated into September.

Well at least it won't be out of place in September haha.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather

As long as we do NOT have any ridiculous plumes in September. My moan: trying to conduct an interesting, productive and creative science lesson for 30 teenagers with mild heatstroke in which everyone shows progress and learns, in a poorly designed classroom with inadequate ventilation.  My wish for September is either fresh and bright sunshine with a breeze, or cool windy storms. Anything but a heatwave. In a job where you are free to move your place of work if the weather is extreme, heatwaves could be fine, but if you are stuck in an overheated box with kids who can't concentrate because of the heat, it is pretty grim.

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Woollymummy said:

As long as we do NOT have any ridiculous plumes in September. My moan: trying to conduct an interesting, productive and creative science lesson for 30 teenagers with mild heatstroke in which everyone shows progress and learns, in a poorly designed classroom with inadequate ventilation.  My wish for September is either fresh and bright sunshine with a breeze, or cool windy storms. Anything but a heatwave. In a job where you are free to move your place of work if the weather is extreme, heatwaves could be fine, but if you are stuck in an overheated box with kids who can't concentrate because of the heat, it is pretty grim.

Perhaps wait until the second week of the next term. So many times, the first week back was like an extension of summer then the unsettled weather arrived in week 2.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
2 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Did summer '16 actually arrive?  The past three months have been basically a cloudfest, at least during conventional waking/working hours.  That dratted grey lid that appears to be down to orographic lifting over the Mid Cheshire Ridge now our prevailing wind has shifted from SW to NW.  Of course our now permanent Autumn will continue unabated into September.

Down here July and August have been dry and relatively warm in fact up until Friday it hadn't rained for nearly six weeks..first three weeks of August have had some very good amounts of sunshine and sunny days to boot.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, cheeky_monkey said:

Down here July and August have been dry and relatively warm in fact up until Friday it hadn't rained for nearly six weeks..first three weeks of August have had some very good amounts of sunshine and sunny days to boot.

Yep, for the SE quarter of the country it has been a good summer overall.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

This summer is forgettable. Pretty much what you'd expect in am average year. Nothing stands out except that one hot day in July.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

This summer is forgettable. Pretty much what you'd expect in am average year. Nothing stands out except that one hot day in July.

Been a summer of two halves down here. Dreadful June (apart from 2-3 days), mediocre July (apart from 19-21st) but August has been the best for a number of years. All balances out pretty average. This week may improve matters.

Posted

It's been quite a dry summer in these parts. Depending on what happens in the next week with regards to storms, August's total might sway towards slightly above average, but overall that hides the fact that from the 03rd to the 18th there was no rain here.

My main complaint for this summer has been that damned cloud! There's been far too much of it for my liking. The wind has been a bit of a pain too but can just about be tolerated if it's sunny. 

August has probably just about been the best summer month here so far. At face value it's been pretty average but it's been a welcome to change to most Augusts since 2006.

Posted

Me thinks work is taking the pee with me,been booked for next 3 days calls in London! They do it purpose just to wind me up.:angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Down here we've had close to average rainfall, with the dry August so far cancelling out the wet June. Max temps will probably end slightly above average with the hot spell coming up (June and July were exactly average). Sunshine was extremely poor in June, below average in July and looks like it'll be average this month. Below average overall though.

Ignoring the record cloudy June, it'll be a summer without any noteworthy conditions.

Edited by B87

Posted
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

It's been quite a dry summer in these parts. Depending on what happens in the next week with regards to storms, August's total might sway towards slightly above average, but overall that hides the fact that from the 03rd to the 18th there was no rain here.

My main complaint for this summer has been that damned cloud! There's been far too much of it for my liking. The wind has been a bit of a pain too but can just about be tolerated if it's sunny. 

August has probably just about been the best summer month here so far. At face value it's been pretty average but it's been a welcome to change to most Augusts since 2006.

Agree about the cloud. Today illustrates the problem well; loads of cloud apart from the extreme S, then not one cloud all the way to the Sahara! That wind has been blowing strongly for days again too, a feature of recent summers. Does seem that the pattern is running too far S. Tomorrow should bring clearer skies and lighter winds to much of England at least. August has been pretty decent here for once.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

It's a very nice and sunny evening here - better than I was expecting actually. Pennines blocking the cloud.

c063b3221362458bbe20b7185fda29e3.png

But yeah, all of those lovely clear skies over France.. wish we could get that here. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

sucks and what the hell, was supposed to be nice, but been chucking it down for last 40 minutes or so, living here sucks, cloudy I expect tomorrow, and Wednesday, wet Thursday

Posted

Once again i make the soul destroying journey into the gates of hell and inferno.....Central London in english,today is going to be even hotter!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Once again i make the soul destroying journey into the gates of hell and inferno.....Central London in english,today is going to be even hotter!!!!

Good luck, cities are bad in heat waves. 

Posted

Thanks,got my survival kit ready! Ready for that hunt for the Lesser spotted parking space,very rare beast!

Posted

Bah! Cloudy here currently and my two days off next week forecast to be cool and cloudy :girl_devil:. In office where people want air conditioning and I'm FREEZING when it's lovely and sunny outside. Grrrr

Posted

There are not enough English language words to describe how utterly vile Southwark London is today,meltingly hot,both buildings I've been to no aircon,never seen so many miserable faces.....including mine!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, markyo said:

There are not enough English language words to describe how utterly vile Southwark London is today,meltingly hot,both buildings I've been to no aircon,never seen so many miserable faces.....including mine!

It's lovely here today. A dry heat like yesterday so it doesn't feel that bad at all. It's an ideal day for going for a walk.