Radar
Snow?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done Mark Cavendish on getting silver.

23rd Gold GB's Nick Skelton, 58 & his horse Big Star win individual show jumping gold

Posted Images

There have been 29 golds in the swimming so far, plus however many more tonight. It's always seemed to me that there are far too many separate events in that discipline. It skews the medal tables: if you took it out, the US would be 3rd.

12 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

There have been 29 golds in the swimming so far, plus however many more tonight. It's always seemed to me that there are far too many separate events in that discipline. It skews the medal tables: if you took it out, the US would be 3rd.

Same with cycling

Seems very self indulgent on the part of the athletes. Money spent in vast amounts so they can show off when much of Rio is in dire poverty behind the glam. Doubtful the people suffering will see anything out of the money made from this show.

Edited by snowfish1
7 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Seems very self indulgent on the part of the athletes. Money spent in vast amounts so they can show off when much of Rio is in dire poverty behind the glam. Doubtful the people suffering will see anything out of the money made from this show.

This is the Olympics thread not the "I feel guilty because i'm relatively rich compared to Rio inhabitants" whinging thread.

We're discussing or commenting on sport in here. If u have some moral desire to discuss 'the rest' pop in to a serious discussion thread.

Team GB gold medal tally over past Olympics

1908: 56

2012: 29 

2008: 19

1900: 15

1920: 15

2000: 11

1912: 10

2016: 10

1924: 9

2004: 9

1956: 6

1968: 5

1980: 5

1984: 5

1988: 5

1992: 5

1932: 4

1936: 4

1964: 4

1972: 4

1928: 3

1948: 3

1976: 3

1896: 2

1960: 2

1904: 1

1952: 1

1996: 1

Team GB medals tally over past Olympics

1908: 146

2012: 65

2008: 47

1920: 43

1912: 41

1984: 37

1924: 34

2004: 30

1900: 30

2016: 30

2000: 28

1988: 24

1956: 24

1948: 23

1980: 21

1992: 20

1964: 20

1960: 20

1928: 20

1972: 18

1932: 16

1996: 15

1936: 14

1976: 13

1968: 13

1952: 11

1896: 7

1904: 2

14 hours ago, lassie23 said:

Should never have gone to Brazil so soon after the World Cup. The poor attendances by locals says it all really, a lot of people cannot afford to live, let alone buy tickets to Olympic events and good luck trying to sell rowing, badminton, ping pong to a soccer mad public.

What doesn't help if they haven't got a competitive athlete in that sport. The popularity of football around the world is due in part is that it is one of the cheapest sports going. All you need is a football and one football between a group of kids or even adults at that. A lot of other sports you need equipment and a place to perform. Swimming pools are not cheap, with rowing you need a place to row and a canoe etc, 

Why the East Africans are so good at middle and long distance events is that you don't need anything. You just go out and train on the land. How often do you hear an East African win at other sports? 

7 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

Mo Farah wins the 10000m. Superior.

Oh how i love the UK inclusive society. We put the rest of Europe to shame.

Totally agree,makes me so proud to call myself British,he was fantastic a true sportsman and a Britain as well. Europe should hang it's head in shame,so should the racist side to our society,Mo is the best in the world,one of us,a true British hero,well done Mr Farah you made us proud!:)

9 hours ago, Bristle boy said:

This is the Olympics thread not the "I feel guilty because i'm relatively rich compared to Rio inhabitants" whinging thread.

We're discussing or commenting on sport in here. If u have some moral desire to discuss 'the rest' pop in to a serious discussion thread.

Hear hear. If you want to discuss the more political and controversial side to the Olympics, make a thread in the serious area. Otherwise, let us enjoy the sporting achievements of our fantastic athletes and stop trying to make us feel guilty about doing so!

25 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yes, there's not much I feel proud about living in the UK but the Olympics is one of those things.

Yep agree,doubt my next door neighbours do though,me shouting at the tv in the early hours may have woken them!

11 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Another gold! We could overtake China tonight...

Yes, super to see Max Whitlock get the GOLD for the floor exercise

First GB Olympic champ in gymnastics.

Lovely to see how thrilled the Brazil lads were too with their medals.

B. :D

2 minutes ago, Beverley Lass said:

Yes, super to see Max Whitlock get the GOLD for the floor exercise

First GB Olympic champ in gymnastics.

Lovely to see how thrilled the Brazil lads were too with their medals.

B. :D

He's got the event he's supposed to be best at in less than an hour too! 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

It's turning into a truly brilliant Olympics is this...If Muzza, Mo and Justin can get golds today, we could be in second place.:yahoo:

Max Whitlock could get another gold this evening, and there is another cycling one up for grabs too tonight. Super Sunday anyone?

But what event is Mo Farah in tonight?

Edited by Nick L