Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mexico City to Plant 18 Million Trees to Reduce Air Pollution!

Posted

There is no arguing with the fact that most people like trees, but what many often forget is that beyond just “liking” trees, we need them to survive. Trees provide us with a large portion of the oxygen we breathe, help regulate climate, and provide homes and shelters for countless animal species that we, frankly, need to keep the global ecosystem in balance. Unfortunately, deforestation and clear-cutting ancient forests has become a norm across the world. We’ve grown to prioritize industrial expansion and the production of livestock and palm oil over our vital forests and we are suffering the consequences.

Thankfully, many people are waking up to the reality that we cannot live healthy, sustainable lives without the help of trees and are taking action to restore formerly destroyed forests. Most recently, Mexico City announced plans to plant 18 million trees around the city bounds and surrounding suburbs. Environment Minister Rafael Pacchiano described the project as a “historic reforestation” to reinforce the “green belt in the megalopolis.”

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/mexico-city-to-plant-trees-to-reduce-air-pollution/

I certainly like trees,too many diseases been spread but hopefully they will get immune to it.

• Like 2

Posted

The number sounds terrific but in order for it to mean something the program will need to go beyond planting but ensuring a good deal of them are replaced if they die or get sick, and the susceptible ones will need to be protected appropriately from the elements and predators. I was part of a landcare program a few years ago which celebrated 5,000 trees being planted along an embankment...I went back there some  time ago and I would say a quarter failed to mature. Can't see anyone has particularly made an effort to readdress it.  

Posted
On 20/07/2016 at 16:14, Snowyowl9 said:

There is no arguing with the fact that most people like trees, but what many often forget is that beyond just “liking” trees, we need them to survive. Trees provide us with a large portion of the oxygen we breathe, help regulate climate, and provide homes and shelters for countless animal species that we, frankly, need to keep the global ecosystem in balance. Unfortunately, deforestation and clear-cutting ancient forests has become a norm across the world. We’ve grown to prioritize industrial expansion and the production of livestock and palm oil over our vital forests and we are suffering the consequences.

Thankfully, many people are waking up to the reality that we cannot live healthy, sustainable lives without the help of trees and are taking action to restore formerly destroyed forests. Most recently, Mexico City announced plans to plant 18 million trees around the city bounds and surrounding suburbs. Environment Minister Rafael Pacchiano described the project as a “historic reforestation” to reinforce the “green belt in the megalopolis.”

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/news/mexico-city-to-plant-trees-to-reduce-air-pollution/

I certainly like trees,too many diseases been spread but hopefully they will get immune to it.

While I agree whole-heartedly with planting trees and have planted 100s myself,  this is a dreadful sound-bite ridden article.
I've bolded the stand-out sections which sound like they were written for a 12 year olds school project, and are largely content free nonsense.

Some here seem to think pieces like this are somehow influential I guess.
But to anyone with real knowledge it's garbage - in fact worse than that it's supposed to somehow indicate planting a few trees by a motorway fixes things.
In the UK we are in the process of losing probably 90% of Ash trees and various other species have problems.

A common factor in all these losses is imported plant material and timber which is practically uncontrolled.

Posted

Planting trees in urban areas has nothing to do with all the accusatory other points they have  thrown in - which are mostly not even based on current reality but various green campaigning propaganda past and present,

If they think that negativity and guilt projection gets results they are on a loser.
It mainly antagonises large sections of public and industry who see through the point scoring. 
The piece has the feel of being written by a radicalised environmentalist trying to use the buzzwords to  show they are on message with current group think.

Posted

Well anything to do with planting trees on is good with me.

Whichever article it comes from.

Group think is the typical dumbed down MSN.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-plant-18-million-trees-against-pollution-013755440.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Company fakes beaver attacks to produce aspen tree seeds.

He added: “The ash disease came from Europe, probably from Germany or Holland,  in the last six or seven years.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/28/company-fakes-beaver-attacks-to-produce-aspen-tree-seeds/

Strange headline.

• Like 1

Posted
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 16:03, 4wd said:

Planting trees in urban areas has nothing to do with all the accusatory other points they have  thrown in - which are mostly not even based on current reality but various green campaigning propaganda past and present,

If they think that negativity and guilt projection gets results they are on a loser.
It mainly antagonises large sections of public and industry who see through the point scoring. 
The piece has the feel of being written by a radicalised environmentalist trying to use the buzzwords to  show they are on message with current group think.

Planting trees with buildings like this.

The Incredible Vertical Forest Residential Towers in Milan, Italy: The award winning towers
designed by Boeri Studio feature 900 trees and over 2,000 plants.

http://twistedsifter.com/2016/06/vertical-forest-residential-towers-in-milan-by-boeri-studio/

• Like 1