Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

August 2016 C.E.T. forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!

I quite like dry cool conditions in late August with high-pressure centred near Iceland extending over Britain. You get some nice warm sunny days but crisp chilly nights that bring a hint of autumn (though not in an unpleasant way). After a few days of such weather horse-chestnut trees start to turn yellow here and there.

However, such weather-patterns are rare in August. At just over 400 metres ASL I have, in the past, recorded air frost in late August with such spells. However I have never recorded an air-frost in August since 1999, such spells with north or north-east winds (bringing cold clear nights) no longer happen in these globally-warmed Augusts!

I don't expect it this August either. With high-pressure likely south-west of Britain and low-pressure firmly in charge across the Far North Atlantic the winds will be consistently westerly. I expect that where I live the month will have near-normal temperatures and though there might be short very warm spells early in the month it is likely to be increasingly wet and windy as the month progresses. Not much hope for crispy late-August mornings!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had a min temp of 4C in late August 2012, in what was actually a marginally warmer than average month. That's the lowest temp in August I can find for here though. A frost in August would be a remarkable sight.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

August can be an interesting month in feel but by the end (such as in 2011 and 2010) you can feel that summer is rapidly ending.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
10 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

August can be an interesting month in feel but by the end (such as in 2011 and 2010) you can feel that summer is rapidly ending.

I feel like summer extends into September, weather-wise. It's just the shortening days that make it feel less summer-like. September is actually a more settled month than June, drier, and in % terms, sunnier. Weather-wise, I definitely think September is a better month, and more reliable for warmth. June has always been the throwaway summer month IMO. July and August are the only months I'm really interested in when it comes to heat.

OTOH, early June can feel a lot like spring as opposed to summer. We had a max of 9C in June 2012 - that was cold, and of course the snow of 1975, when was the last time snow like that fell to low levels in September?

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

I consider the first half of September to be late summer, as average highs are around 20-22c and a few days above 25c are quite common. 

The second half of September is definitely autumnal though.  By mid-October, the leaves start changing colour and average highs have dropped down to 16c, then it definitely feels like a stereotypical autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

16.9c cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

16.8c

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Going for 16.8C as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Repeat of my July guess please..16.5c 

• Like 1

Posted

16.6C ... due to a strong Atlantic and continued attempts at mid-Atlantic ridging, you'd think it could end up colder - but I think these tendencies will cancel each other out in the first half of August and topple enough weak ridges towards us to keep it relatively warm in central England. Last 10 days of August a lottery but no doubt September will be a stunner...

Edited by Man With Beard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I think a poor start to the month will set the tone and some shocking storms (for August) could be on the cards

15.4C for me

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

15.6 please

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 21:41, cheese said:

We had a min temp of 4C in late August 2012, in what was actually a marginally warmer than average month. That's the lowest temp in August I can find for here though. A frost in August would be a remarkable sight.

An even more impressive frosty August spell occurred in the very cold and stormy August bank holiday of 1986 when a southerly tracking Ex-Hurricane Charley collided with an exceptionally extensive and deep early autumn cold pool with sub 0C air at 850 HPA.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 21:53, cheese said:

OTOH, early June can feel a lot like spring as opposed to summer. We had a max of 9C in June 2012 - that was cold, and of course the snow of 1975, when was the last time snow like that fell to low levels in September?

Snow last fell to low levels in September in 1919.

Edited by Lettucing Gutted
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Looking like August will start cool.  I expect a warmer end to the month though, ready for our usual early September high pressure.  So I will plump for 16.1C.

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Can I downgrade mine to 15.3c?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

14.9c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Has the Express thrown a spanner in the works, as we are going to get fried to a crisp lol...according to them.

Sensible says just above average but I think it could be difficult to call, even the MO are talking about wild swings in temps.
Going to have to take another day of thoughts me thinks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

15.5C for me thanks.

• Like 1