Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
6 minutes ago, Supacell said:

There is nothing specifically wrong with quoting the whole post but doing so with such long posts can make it difficult for people using this forum on a phone for example. I am on here quite a lot via my mobile and you can spend ages scrolling through posts you have already read further up. I have hidden the post you quoted but just kept the name of the OP so that everyone knows who you are referring too. If people want to look back at the pictures then they are on the previous page for people to see (great pictures they are too). :) 

Ah ok, thanks for explaining. I did wonder what the fuss was about so at least now I know. I have been posting on mobile all morning so far as well so can understand your point now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Can see the clouds building from east midlands to CS on sat24 moving eastwards.. http://en.sat24.com/en/zoom/eu/visual/1279/981/?refspot=1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Ok, so the cell forming right above me is looking increasingly dark and angry looking. The picture doesnt really do it justice (first pic) as its much darker in real life than the picture conveys.

You can image my surprise then when I looked to the south and spotted another cell forming right over me too (2nd and 3rd pic)!

IMG_20160722_135119206.jpg

IMG_20160722_134953372.jpg

IMG_20160722_135020719.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I'm currently nr Liverpool St in London - now wondering where is best to go. Looking dark here but the travel options are going to become very limited in the next hour as Friday rush hour starts so ideally I want to be heading out of the city...

any ideas?

Edit: I just finished work which is why I'm starting my potential chase here!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yay thunder in London :yahoo:

...though nothing on Blitzortung - yet

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I'm currently nr Liverpool St in London - now wondering where is best to go. Looking dark here but the travel options are going to become very limited in the next hour as Friday rush hour starts so ideally I want to be heading out of the city...

any ideas?

Edit: I just finished work which is why I'm starting my potential chase here!

I'd head east as thats where anything that develops in london will be heading, plus, once you're out of london the traffic will be lighter. Bear in mind though these storms will be very slow moving so if I were you I'd find a good vantage point just outside london, sit back, relax and wait for the storms to come to you! Good luck my friend.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yay thunder in London :yahoo:

...though nothing on Blitzortung - yet

Where abouts are you mate? I haven't heard anything in tower hamlets (although that could be because I'm inside a big building).

Edited by Windblade

Posted

At Moorgate today, but have heard nothing since so questioning whether it was thunder (the sky had gone dark at the time).

There is nothing on Blitzortung so maybe I am mistaken.

Posted

Ah right. Yes, I have been checking the radar but so far nothing and no further strikes shown (although the radar can be quite inaccurate as well sometimes and has been known not to register some strikes). Looking at the sky and those cells popping up I still think our chances are good today.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Cell over central london...

Looks quite potent on radar.

IMG_20160722_144039156.jpg

Posted

Some sferics detected all the way up in Scotland, Northwest of Aberdeen.

Posted

That london cell has barely moved in the past hour. I can see it out the window (see above pic), but its just sitting there!

Untitled.jpg

Posted
4 minutes ago, Windblade said:

That london cell has barely moved in the past hour. I can see it out the window (see above pic), but its just sitting there!

Untitled.jpg

I had that the other day on the 12th this month. There were darkening clouds to the east of me and it just sat there. The initiation from a CZ I should imagine and I was at the rear of it at the updraft area. It had some decent speed to the updrafts that were not lathargic. There was some rotation spotted in the updrafts too. Once it finally got going it gave yarmouth and the surrounding areas a pretty good show that day.

Posted

That sounds cool mate. I hope this cell follows suit and gives us a good show! 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Windblade said:

That sounds cool mate. I hope this cell follows suit and gives us a good show! 

Yeah fingers crossed, good luck to you guys down there.

Posted

Raining hard in Kilburn NW6 under a very black cloud, looks like it will clear soon although the clouds hardly moving.

Posted

Looking real dark under the base but its still just sitting there!

IMG_20160722_154943341.jpg

Posted

Showers moving out of NE Wales tracking over my area, just had one moderate shower. Means I don't need to water the garden!

The cells over London are moving, they are just collapsing and reforming behind as they, albeit, slowly move ESE.

Edited by Darren Bown

Posted
13 minutes ago, Nath said:

Raining hard in Kilburn NW6 under a very black cloud, looks like it will clear soon although the clouds hardly moving.

You must be right under it. It looks absolutely huge from here. So tall it wont fit in the camera lens! I can just about make out the rain core from here. It looks heavy but its right in the distance so quite hard to tell. To be honest, I'm quite surprised it hasn't electrified yet.

Edited by Windblade

Posted

The Black country storm shield is still holding , I think its been working overtime this week !

Hot , blue skies , bits of clouds , Just about sums up everyday this week .

Posted

Having some very heavy showers currently. Nothing electrical though!