Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
3 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

So glad Holyhead was virtually underneath the mass of storms, I was worried you wouldn't see anything but glad you enjoyed yourself! We are already at 20,000 lightning strikes for today and it's not even 8am yet!

It's been a fantastic morning. Still more Cells to the south.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

That's it now here for thunder.. everything is moving off northwards. Hopefully next time will be better. Lightning is a must to see in any storm but somehow has managed to evade us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

So after a promising looking sky yesterday evening, all that could be managed around the Mold area of North East Wales, was one poxy clap of distant thunder... And that was about an hour ago :wallbash::nea:
Still, we've had a few storms around here so far this year, and many of you to the North look like you could be in for a cracking day, so enjoy it peeps, and photos if you can for the rest of us to enjoy :good:

Posted

Well that was a surprise! Wasn't expecting storms this morning. Everything suddenly went very dark, very intense rainfall and a good few rumbles of thunder. Still warm at 20.3C and very humid.

Posted

More to come here. Stormy skies all around, very dark to S and W again and still hearing thunder every few minutes. Only had v small amount of rain so far.

Posted

Rain from AcCas convection now coming down here, unexpected, light to moderate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

Crikey, your strike rate is impressive! Looks like the north is going to have a day of storms...

Convection apace over here - had the obligatory Acas this morning, then clear blue skies, and now convection clouds building rapidly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Any more for me in Holyhead anyone think? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Some nice pics in this thread. Came out the house this morning to be greeted with a cloudy sky - at last. After three days of cloudless skies in every direction as far as the eye can see I now have lots of acas and some wispy cirrus. I pray we get something this evening to cool things down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
9 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Any more for me in Holyhead anyone think? 

Not according to the radar no showers/storms to your South at all, all storms are NW Liverpool and Carlisle area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
15 hours ago, Spikecollie said:

Sorry, you are talking motorbike, I'm talking mountain bike! Way too hot for a big jacket like you're wearing...

Ah right, my bad! Yes, the engined variety! My jacket can usually cope with heat very well up to about 28 degrees c but yesterday was around the 35 mark I think and it was simply like riding in a hot oven, so instead of the air cooling you down as you ride I was simply turbocharging hot air onto my body! I was so hot I had to pull over halfway through my journey and have a drink!

Edited by Windblade

Posted

Low level clouds are moving from NW to SE. Really weird to see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Certainly interesting day ahead for some...

Tony of UKWW making very unexpected forecast for today as below, a small chunk I have taken.

The WRF MO1 to 4 simulations try to develop an area of strong convection further south (Midlands) later today. This zone should hold the best deep layer speed shear for this convective period.

storm.jpg

As a result I might have to persuade my parents to take me along the M4 Corridor!:closedeyes:

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

Rain from AcCas convection now coming down here, unexpected, light to moderate.

Just had a few drops here, too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Some good little storms kicking about today.  Lovely morning here again so far -- expecting it to get lively as we go through the morning and afternoon as the storm risk shifts over to this side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and anything unusual

It's almost at Edinburgh I can't wait I can hear the distant rumbles now

Posted

Was about to say that juicy storm passing to the north of Newcastle on it's way to Scotland looks great on the radar.  As per previous forecast storms trundling this way now radar active - let's hope they maintain and build as I'd like to see a good storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

An incredible strike rate going now on that Storm heading Edinburgh way and areas east. Seems to be a separate feature that has disbanded from the main ppn taking a more NE track. 

Stay safe anyone in Edinburgh soon. 

Meanwhile, very hot feeling SE surface winds and accas racing north at a tonne of knots, temps at marham and Cambridge already surpassing 25c at half 8!! 

Posted

Interesting. Looks like the south east could potentially get something in the next couple of hours, even if its just rain to cool things down (although lightningmaps does indicate storms across western france already this morning). I didn't see anything on the forecast about imports though so not sure what to make of this. This is from one of my aurora chasing sites - auroraspy.co.uk

sat_new_ireu.gif

Edited by Windblade

Looking like many midlanders and southerners are going to miss out on any decent thunderstorms from a hot southerly plume, really makes this unbearable heat rather pointless, Summers are becoming more uneventful, lacking proper extreme swings from very cool spells to very hot thundery spells lasting more than 3 days and merging into one long humid cloudy nothingness.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

All calm in the NE overnight with everything staying west

More storms developing during the day these have a higher chance of heading this way

Posted

This set up almost reminds me of the thunder event we had in the NE back in 2012. Storms initiated and trundled from around the Blackpool area and by the time they got over the NE caused power outages, floods and prolific lightning that was to become the best storm event I had ever seen in my time.  Storms around Blackpool right now look to be headed NE'ly same as then - I am sitting with all digits crossed that they maintain strength and continue the way they're going!

Scotland looks like it's getting a good pasting right now - anyone with reports from that area?

Edited by P-M