Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Yeah it'll probably take 30-45 minutes for the storm to reach Holyhead and by then if it all weakens I'd be amazed!

Even then it'll probably begin to back build too.

That's what I like to hear!  Haven't got a good 3G here so couldn't really see its position, so thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Extreme western parts doing good.

Do wish we had more of an event like July 3rd last year though. Remember that lot kicking out hundreds per minute by now! One of the most satisfying moments of my life was watching the constant strobes bearing over towards me and listening to the relentless pings on lightning maps as it did! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

A rare dry storm in Scotland! Make the best out of it. Remarkable stuff!! 

A dry anything in Scotland is rare.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

That's what I like to hear!  Haven't got a good 3G here so couldn't really see its position, so thanks. 

I've never travelled to a location to watch a storm so I'm no expert but you could probably see lightning from Holyhead right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I'm done watching lightning from storm clouds literally 50 miles away I'm going to get a bit of sleep before something comes here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Martin Auld said:

Ok I'm done watching lightning from storm clouds literally 50 miles away I'm going to get a bit of sleep before something comes here

It's funny because I'll stay up for storms that won't even come near me, I just love watching the radar for hours on end!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about the chances here now.. seems to be light precipitation which doesn't really fit the scenario. I'll sleep now but this far east it may be asking too much for a good storm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearly 3am and that low is still only over Cornwall and Devon. I'm going to get my head down for a bit, and then at 7 get up and see what's occurring. Definite delay in this low and CF shifting through to my eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I'm not sure about the chances here now.. seems to be light precipitation which doesn't really fit the scenario. I'll sleep now but this far east it may be asking too much for a good storm.

Nowt is going to happen here that's for sure. Seen enough now to suggest that the main area will slaide up the Irish Sea and probably make landfall somewhere on the Lancashire coast. Think GFS has barked up the wrong tree on this one sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Nearby dogs are going mad. Think I might be able to hear something on the very edge of  audibility. 20 miles away closest strike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The feeling in the air here is incredible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris.R said:

 Nearby dogs are going mad. Think I might be able to hear something on the very edge of  audibility. 20 miles away closest strike. 

You might be just about to get lucky, strikes in Caernarfon. There seem to be separate cells forming as the active region moves up the Irish Sea. The strikes are to the east of the red blobs on the rainfall radar and wee new cells seem to be creeping eastwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg  I just had the most  deepest, sinister,  Rowling boom of thunder I have ever heard.  Gave me goosebumps. Wow. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris.R said:

Omg  I just had the most  deepest, sinister,  Rowling boom of thunder I have ever heard.  Gave me goosebumps. Wow. 

See? Told ya so :yahoo:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fiona Robertson said:

See? Told ya so :yahoo:

 That was from 16 miles away according to my Lightning Alarm. I really can't describe how scary  and amazing that boom was. While, 10 miles now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Distant thunder now clearly audible to the south-west. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris.R said:

 That was from 16 miles away according to my Lightning Alarm. I really can't describe how scary  and amazing that boom was. While, 10 miles now. 

I'm watching your area on lightningmaps.org and it's creeping closer to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep distant rumbles I can hear in Blackpool. Looking at radar they are from over N Wales into Irish Sea. Moving slowly off the coast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just experienced the best ever thunderstorm I have seen in Scotland. I am in Aviemore for the week and we have just been hit by a amazing storm, constant thunder and lightning! I have some great pics and video that I will share later. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still at home but after a little bit of sleep I am ready to chase. The forecast path for those storms over the Irish Sea is NE with NW England likely to be hit. However, they appear to be moving due north and so I cannot see how that is going to happen. I need to see something develop further east and then I will head out in the direction of the NW coastline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Supacell said:

Still at home but after a little bit of sleep I am ready to chase. The forecast path for those storms over the Irish Sea is NE with NW England likely to be hit. However, they appear to be moving due north and so I cannot see how that is going to happen. I need to see something develop further east and then I will head out in the direction of the NW coastline.

Bloody crap so far. Been up all night and there's nowt happening for miles. As you say, don't know how those cells in the Irish Sea are suddenly going to veer east.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see very distant lightning out west. It won't reach here but at least it's happening somewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Bloody crap so far. Been up all night and there's nowt happening for miles. As you say, don't know how those cells in the Irish Sea are suddenly going to veer east.

I suspect that further thunderstorms will start breaking out further east as the plume destabilises from west to east. However, aside from Scotland and Ireland all the activity so far is predominantly over the sea. BBC weather seem to think there will be potential disruption from these storms over NW England for the morning rush hour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Spring warmth and sunshine this weekend but we've got to stay at home

    In normal times we'd be talking about the excellent timing of the sunshine and warmth coming through at the weekend. But of course,a0these aren't normal times, so even though temperatures could get to 20-21c in places tomorrow, we're all going to have to enjoy it from home. Read the full update here

    Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1

    Weather forecasting concerns as number of aircraft observations plummet

    Changes in the weather world as observations reduce from aircraft and on land in the time of global pandemic. Less initial data to input into the computer models. AMDAR AIREP Read more here

    Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 1
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...