Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well i am almost certain I am seeing the flashes from N Wales etc all way down here in S Glos. Walking back from pub seeing flashes on the horizon to the N/NW. Very eery!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
6 hours ago, Speedway Slider said:

So peeps, what's gonna happen overnight and tomorrow day (Sunday) Are we goind to get anymore fireworks?

All seems quite quiet........

For today there may be the odd shower but nothing on the scale we saw yesterday could still be heavy at times 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Hearing words of another slack regime coming up (ergo plume #34) but I hasten to add every plume has failed for my area regardless of the levels of heat we attain so I expect the north to end up doing well out of this one again as well as the North Sea.

No details available yet but with these plumes you don't really know until it's happening anyway so I'm keeping one eye on the model thread...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Look at the Lightning archives from yesterday and today and looks to be our storm still active for almost 24 hours?

image.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
5 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Hearing words of another slack regime coming up (ergo plume #34) but I hasten to add every plume has failed for my area regardless of the levels of heat we attain so I expect the north to end up doing well out of this one again as well as the North Sea.

No details available yet but with these plumes you don't really know until it's happening anyway so I'm keeping one eye on the model thread...

Indeed to watch and it's very interesting as the plume looks to be incoming from the East? Something which I've never seen before? As always with plumes they come up from the south, but this moves in straight from the E/ESE, strange and would be very hard to predict!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Holy mother of god, seen the rate on that one heading for Denmark again !!!!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
24 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Holy mother of god, seen the rate on that one heading for Denmark again !!!!! 

Is that the massive one that hit the UK yesterday, or a separate one? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms
39 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Look at the Lightning archives from yesterday and today and looks to be our storm still active for almost 24 hours?

image.png

Yeah, hard to believe we bred that one in the channel 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Is that the massive one that hit the UK yesterday, or a separate one? 

I Think it the same 1 what hit the UK yesterday and moved over the north sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
11 hours ago, Speedway Slider said:

Lightning hit one of the floodlight pylons at the Leicester City match today! Knocked it out, but they played on!! Lightning all around and pitch under water and they played on!!

Is that responsible from the ref? Should he have taken the players off because of the danger from Lightning?

I would have thought so, we've seen lightning hit a football pitch and knock out half the players before, not a UK game, vid is on you tube somewhere. With all the health and safety stuff these day's I'm very surprised it wasn't stopped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
7 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Wow, thank you to Matt Hugo for using this in his Net Weather article today.

Lightning 27.08.16.png

South Lincolnshire hit the jackpot big time with this one. God only knows what would've resulted from this, had it have become surface based. Surprised it didn't in all honesty! Was hearing all about the flash flooding in Spalding and of course the collapsed roof at the tesco in Boston. A severe storm indeed, with 160 strikes/min at its peak! 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Chris K said:

Well i am almost certain I am seeing the flashes from N Wales etc all way down here in S Glos. Walking back from pub seeing flashes on the horizon to the N/NW. Very eery!!

stange that, the storm was making a beeline for me,  but I only started seeing the distant flashes when it was leaving liverpool area about 17 miles from here,  must have been the low cloud and murk, the storm never came overhead but gave a few flashes and rumbles just to my north west,  cant complain in this poor summer, the thunder days are now up to seven here   

• Like 1

Posted

Is it true that CG lightning is more powerful from elevated thunderstorms than surface based ones? The reason being that they have a larger gap to bridge than surface based strikes, so it takes a larger charge?

Sure I read that somewhere, and potentially there are more positive strikes as well??

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

One flash and that was it for us yesterday. Another poor showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

About 1am this morning a storm developed over darlington and died as quickly as it arrived, a good 10 min night storm though while it lasted with rolling thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
45 minutes ago, Speedway Slider said:

Is it true that CG lightning is more powerful from elevated thunderstorms than surface based ones? The reason being that they have a larger gap to bridge than surface based strikes, so it takes a larger charge?

Sure I read that somewhere, and potentially there are more positive strikes as well??

Positive strikes originate from the top of the storm clouds and travel through the anvil down to earth. They therefore have further to travel than negative strikes that travel from within the cloud so yes, they have a larger gap to bridge and can therefore take on more charge. I am not sure it matters if the storm is elevated or surface based. If lightning occurred within the storm it is less likely it was a positive strike as these are more likely around the outside of the storm from where the anvil is. I have seen them occur a few times whilst out chasing - when you think the storm has passed over and then you get one last huge CG and loud crash of thunder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
3 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Indeed to watch and it's very interesting as the plume looks to be incoming from the East? Something which I've never seen before? As always with plumes they come up from the south, but this moves in straight from the E/ESE, strange and would be very hard to predict!

At least this raises our chances a little. I want any potential storms to have as few options as possible other than passing over us!

hopefully not long to wait for the next potential event cos there's not much time left!

our area really is deperate now for something. I don't care about hot humid conditions - as it seems this isn't necessarily conducive to massive storms as seen yesterday!

Posted

So, why was yesterdays thunderstorm/s in the afternoon so violent? Something was different? 

Was it because of the amount of capping over the storm/s area/path it travelled? The amount of available energy? If so, where did the energy originate. 

Also, why was  the whole thing elevated? I thought elevated storms were usually imports, and usually night time storms..

Also, why did all if not most of the CG strikes I saw look different? They weren't the normal tree root system or stepped, but equally, they weren't the straight down strikes with the re strike/flicker types, but more like, well quicker, well defined edges, with no strike -outs to the side. For want of a better description, they looked sharp at top and bottom, slightly fatter in the middle, and seemed quicker strikes, if you know what I mean... Oh, and there also seemed to be constant (in cloud) flickerering strikes, and a constant rolling thunder, with that being regularly punctuated be these CG strikes, with thunder that sounded tremendously loud, like a long line of cannons, say 40+ all in a line and being fired one after another, with only a fraction of a millisecond between each cannon, quite an unbelievable thunderstorm/s!!!!!!

Posted
15 hours ago, madeinholt said:

Today's storm missed us by at least 25 miles, however, when I was putting the kids to bed earlier I noticed this rather strange cloud formation.

The first shot is taken from the front bedroom window looking west towards Fakenham and the second shot is from the back of the house looking in the same direction.

The third shot better shows high level cloud going up over the storm edge.

20160827_190201.jpg

20160827_185952.jpg

20160827_190321.jpg

I think I could see the other side of all of this from Hunstanton! Just after the first storms rolled past at about 3-4pm yesterday you could see this looking East inland towards Walsingham/Fakenham area. Was an amazing view, all the clouds were very impressive yesterday..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather

Well Swindon certainly got it's storm yesterday afternoon! I watched the storm come ashore just to the west of Weymouth and travel NNE towards my location building in size as it travelled, I had a spare couple of hours so drove to intercept it in Devizes Wiltshire. After it had arrived there I made my way back towards Avebury Wiltshire where conditions got very nasty, overhead lightning and flash flooding! The roads were horrendous so I decided to take refuge in the Red Lion pub car park as the car park is elevated, one of the best storms in our area for a while. I hope some of you got a taste of it as it continued NE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms and extreme weather
19 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Busy afternoon.. strikes/6hr rain accumulative map:

2016-08-27 (4).png 2016-08-27 (5).png

I was under that lot yesterday afternoon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 hours ago, IanR said:

stange that, the storm was making a beeline for me,  but I only started seeing the distant flashes when it was leaving liverpool area about 17 miles from here,  must have been the low cloud and murk, the storm never came overhead but gave a few flashes and rumbles just to my north west,  cant complain in this poor summer, the thunder days are now up to seven here   

Same here. A nice little storm passed to  my Southeast at around 03:00.  Also brings my thunder days  up to 7,  which is pretty good and above average. There have been  Summers which have been much, much worse.  After the pathetic busts of the last few days  it's nice that something  actually worked out for a change. :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
7 hours ago, Chris K said:

Afternoon Chris K :)
Spoken to quite a few of the yolkals this morning, and I can confirm that we did have a thunderstorm over North Wales last night... And guess who slept through it?? :wallbash:
Still shouldn't really grumble, as I was under one of the storms yesterday at the Seven Valley Railway :D

• Like 2