Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted

Reports of a possible Tornado at Rockingham this afternoon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Id love to be in Denmark tonight, looks like a good night for them coming up. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Gael_Force said:

Is that what they call whale's mouth in storm clouds?

Undulatus asperatus

Edited by Azazel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
1 hour ago, James 'Jamie C' Croucher said:

I am absolutely gutted about today!! I watched it come in on the radar and at work, the next town over was where it really started to pick up, now if I had had my normal Saturday off (this is the ONE Saturday I covered for someone) I would of been out chasing it and would of stayed with it all day!! 

I just cannot believe the one day I do somebody a favour and we get the best storm of the year, possibly for years comes in. Fair play to all that got to play in it, I spent my working hours looking at the radar weeping!!

Is that it now? Or will there be more?? South westwise!!

jamie

I tried chasing and it want easy!

started out over near Devizes where it resembled something off of the Great Plains in the states. Thing is- I've never been there and it sort of scared the c**p out of me. So quiet and so still. I was just waiting for a lightning bolt to come down into my van and cook me alive (which apparently isn't what actually happens...)

After this I tried to stay ahead but by Marlborough it was on me and there were about three REALLY CLOSE shotgun flash-bangers followed by a monsoon of epic proportions.

After that it was a fools-errand to race it up to Oxford to overtake / undertake it - cos it was already powering through the Midlands.

With hindsight (pointless to consider but hey) I would have headed straight for Oxford first but would have missed those beautiful early stages and the realisation that next time I need to be less of a wuss, get out of the van and FILM FILM FILM!!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
Just now, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Sorry but even on a global scale that storm approaching Denmark is something special

It has been alive for over 12 hours!

• Like 2

Posted

Wow, had a great chase today near Oxford, managed to capture a large funnel, possible tornado, pics to come in a new thread shortly.

Some amazing storms for sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting weather
48 minutes ago, dave48 said:

Wow, had a great chase today near Oxford, managed to capture a large funnel, possible tornado, pics to come in a new thread shortly.

Some amazing storms for sure.

I am so excited to hear that, we watched something developing right overhead in Wootton, I recognised what was happening as I saw a similar thing years ago when there was a tornado passing through Eynsham going NE, very quiet, rotating clouds pulling in bits from either side, warm air around us and gusty but definitely air going upwards rather than sideways. 

Posted

Some showery stuff moving inland over Cornwall, a small storm in north Wales, a small storm in the Middlesborough area, another at Stanhope, North York's...

Maybe not such a quiet night for everyone after all.. Thoughts?

Screenshot_2016-08-28-01-39-07.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Today sums up my year. Left West Oxfordshire yesterday to travel to the Lakes. Had a lovely day in the sun watching the radar as things kicked off back home after a year of nothing! 

Oh well 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)
36 minutes ago, STORMGUY said:

That is insane, I am rather jealous! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think something is coming this way. Strikes getting closer. Closest one is 13 miles to the south so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thunder! To the  south-east. 

Posted

It's all kicking off to the south. 

• Like 1

Posted

The storms from the Midlands/Wiltshire/Oxfordshire etc are now well ensconced in Denmark!! Been active for over 16 hours....

Kicking off again North Wales/Manchester/Liverpool, and also some small cells kicking off around Kent Coast.... Perhaps it "here we go again!"

Hope Leicester is quiet for 5, 6 hrs, need some kip!!

Screenshot_2016-08-28-03-39-28.png

Screenshot_2016-08-28-03-43-51.png