Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

It's so dark in doors we've had to turn the lights on, never seen such darkness and not even a peep. Well over my garden they have been having a ball. hello storm? you there.....

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Wow! Latest GFS now shows 1800 J/kg CAPE and -6 LI overnight, and MO forecasting very heavy and possibly thundery rain tonight as well. 

Let's hope we get light show

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
22 minutes ago, Supacell said:

I have my eyes on them too, although I am feeling very despondent about it all now and expect them to either die away as they approach or slide to the west of here. I just don't think this is the year for storms around Derby. May be different up in Chesterfield.

Well done to those further east though, at least our storm drought has ended.

Can't believe how dark it is to the south of here,it looks like the end of the world!!.Just 10 mins of steady rain here and that's it.We're so close!!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

I am frustratingly close. I was joking when I said i'd had my one clap of thunder earlier on. was hoping for more.

Edited by Dami

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a new line of storms along the M4 corridor from chippenham to newbury....can hear the thunder from them......watch these carefully, as they're quite well isolated  and tapping into some serious energy INVOF the trailing CF

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
1 minute ago, shadyjam said:

Decent wall cloud approaching Kettering from the SW approx. 10 mins ago. Decent inflow channel and plenty of unusual appendages below base on arrival. All of this preceded by what I can only assume was undulatus asperatus?

IMG_0252.jpg

That's an Arcus/shelf cloud. Nice pic. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
3 minutes ago, shadyjam said:

Decent wall cloud approaching Kettering from the SW approx. 10 mins ago. Decent inflow channel and plenty of unusual appendages below base on arrival. All of this preceded by what I can only assume was undulatus asperatus?

IMG_0252.jpg

sadly that's not a wall cloud more commonly associated with tornadic supercell......rather, a shelf cloud, far more common with the british thunderstorm, but yes, a nice pic

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

That's an Arcus/shelf cloud. Nice pic. :)

Shelf cloud! I stand corrected (I tend to misuse wall quite often--bad habit). Thank you! Quick snap.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Hearing reports from Peterborough and south Lincolnshire of near golfball sized hail and constant thunder. Missing out big time! 

• Like 2

Posted

Well what an afternoon that was glad I made the journey towards Swindon and I have never seen it so dark at 2pm even the street lights came on at one point plenty of thunder and lightning to be seen and whilst traveling through the area there was a lot of surface flooding but I'm happy with that storm fix for now hopefully won't be long before another chance comes along as plenty of time for storms, can even see storms like today until October if the setup is right.

Some picture I took whilst out earlier. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

we had a kind of lull what worries me is what is about to hit us, the front looks like its back building which would be consistent with reports of golf sized hail to my South west, Also Tesco in Boston has been struck in a direct hit sending the roof to the floor, the store has been evacuated as we speak.

LO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
51 minutes ago, Jcweather said:

Bright and sunny at home now, but was in Bedfordshire earlier and saw some apocalyptic skies, asperitas and mammatus clouds and quite a few CG bolts. Conditions are certainly ripe over the Midlands and central UK

Reading all these accounts, I wish I had stayed up there a bit longer! Though I must say it was impressive seeing the back of the shelf cloud moving North away from me

Posted
1 minute ago, Lincs Observation said:

we had a kind of lull what worries me is what is about to hit us, the front looks like its back building which would be consistent with reports of golf sized hail to my South west, Also Tesco in Boston has been struck in a direct hit sending the roof to the floor, the store has been evacuated as we speak.

LO

A lot of sirens heard in Leicester, wouldn't be surprised if a building or two have been hit, that was vicious, quite a few + Lightning strikes I would say....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

That's more like it , decent loud clap of thunder . Takes my grand total for today up to 4 .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty

Not much happening around these parts.  We have heavy rain and although I have heard a couple of rumbles of thunder I haven't seen any lightening.  Most of the action is passing us by it seems.:angry:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I wonder if the cold front will reinvigorate the storms at all as it passes through. There are now storms to the west, Armageddon to the east but nothing in the middle where I am. Clutching at straws I know but it is getting to that time of year whereby I become desperate :D

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Distant thunder to my West

IMG_7584.JPG

• Like 3